Charge remaining (mAh): 3565
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4400
Health Information:
Cycle count: 125
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1381
Voltage (mV): 11643

This is from my trusty ibook g4 which i use while traveling, etc. Battery doesn't last as long these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What does this mean? Battery info
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 09, 2008 06:59AM
full charge capacity = 4400, I believe this is the max capacity specified by Apple when the battery is new. After about 300 cycles you will see it going down. My wife's iBook, after 500 cycles, had only about 60% left (2600mAh).

Look like you battery is in good health, I would suggest resetting the power manager, calibrating the battery, and see what happens. You will find instructions on how to do these things on Apple's support site (which is excellent BTW)

Also, download this and see what is says. Once a week, open it up and save the battery information (there is a table in there)

[www.coconut-flavour.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 06:59AM by space-time.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: March 09, 2008 08:20AM
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3565 ----> The total charge capacity your battery has now
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4400 -----> Original charge capacity when bat. was new
Health Information:
Cycle count: 125 ------> # of times your battery has been charged
Amperage (mA): -1381
Voltage (mV): 11643

To have lost less than 25% charge capacity for 3+ old machine is pretty good. I think my PBG4 battery carries maybe a 20% charge these days (I keep it plugged in now). The iBook/PBs never had fantastic battery life though. I think I got maybe 3 hours when mine was new. If you need more power you can always buy a 2nd, but you existing battery is in pretty good condition for it's age.

You might try re-calibrating your battery: [docs.info.apple.com]
Date: March 09, 2008 08:36AM
Chupa Chupa
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3565 ----> The total charge capacity your battery has now
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4400 -----> Original charge capacity when bat. was new

No, that is the current full capacity (if filled 100%). The original capacity (when new) is not listed. You need to dig the specs or use coconut mentioned above.

His battery is in 100% health, and when he posted, was at 81% charge.
Posted by: h'
Date: March 09, 2008 09:20AM
How about me?? Do me!!!

First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3188
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 3064
Amperage (mA): -1332
Voltage (mV): 11679
Cycle Count: 182

Coconut Battery-- I like it, thanks.

Age of mac: 55 months
Original capacity: 4200
currently 75%

===

So, how do you recalibrate exactly?
Date: March 09, 2008 10:31AM
"So, how do you recalibrate exactly?"

Have you noticed Chupa Chupa's post?
Posted by: h'
Date: March 09, 2008 10:47AM
I must have skimmed it-- thanks!
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: March 09, 2008 11:07AM
Thanks all. I really got a charge out of the replies...got the electrons flowing now.

I've downloaded coconut already.

I'm really glad I got no resistance from you forum members. OK, I"ll stop now.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 09, 2008 11:42AM
Ohm my god, you are a volt! I bet you're all amped up on some high energy drink.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 09, 2008 12:26PM
MartyStickle
I'm really glad I got no resistance from you forum members. OK, I"ll stop now.

would you like a "short" instead?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 09, 2008 01:30PM
full charge capacity = 4400, I believe this is the max capacity specified by Apple when the battery is new.

Original charge capacity when bat. was new

For the context of this discussion, those are one in the same points.

...or use coconut mentioned above.

And how does it help with the "original charge capacity"? It will only reflect most of the data (including "Original Battery Capacity") supplied by System Profiler, or the same source as system profiler.

"coconutBattery isn't just a tool which shows you only the current charge of your battery - it also shows you the current maximum capacity of it in relation to the original capacity your battery had as it left the factory."

That info from cB matches the info suppled by System Profiler on my PB12.

By the way it's in need of some updating. It's probably OK for Tiger, but the results in Leopard or on Intel machines (I don't know where the problem is) aren't accurate, even though it's a UB.

Excerpt from cB 2.5.1, on my BMB:

Current Battery Charge: 4378 mA
Maximum Battery Charge 5405 mA

Current Battery Capacity: 5405 mA
Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mA

Battery-Loadcycles: 7
Charger connected: No
Battery is charging: Yes

Sytem Profiler's excerpt reads:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3807
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5405
Health Information:
Cycle count: 2
Battery health: Good
Amperage (mA): 2037
Voltage (mV): 12132

While cB's additional info is interesting, System Profiler is accurate, if not as detailed.

Marty, note that Charging Capacity and percentage of battery charge are two different things. Your battery may be in good health, but that good health isn't what is used to be. There is a significant loss in capacity which is directly related to your iBook's shorter run time.

Imagine your doctor telling you:

"You're in good health, Mr. Stickle. You just can't climb as many stairs as you as before without stopping to catch your breath.

And by the way, you don't have as long to live as you used to. But at least you got your health".

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: March 09, 2008 07:07PM
Well it's true, I can't climb stairs like I used to.

Coconut shows

Current chage 11493 mAh
Maximum battery charge 4400 mAh

100%

So what does that mean; my battery is better than when new?

Huh?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 09, 2008 07:50PM
So what does that mean; my battery is better than when new?

Nope.

New, your battery's maximum capacity was 4400 mAh. When fully charged, your run time was 3-4hrs, I don't know.

Now, due to aging, the maximum capacity is 3565 mAh. Now your runtime is down to what-- two, maybe three hours, if you're careful, and lucky? Again, I don't know.

The maximum capacity is less than new, so even fully charged the smaller capacity gives you less runtime. The 4400 number won't change in your machine, unless you put a higher capacity battery in it. OWC sells NuPower hi-cap batteries, but I don't know how much extra runtime you'll get.

The "other" number, 3565 will continue to get smaller, and again, even when charged to 100%, will give you shorter "life" still.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 09, 2008 09:27PM
you got the numbers Wrong, RAMd@d.

The Full charge capacity (mAh): 4400 is the *current* capacity of the battery. For a new battery, it may actually be a little over the "original battery capacity".

System profiler does NOT (at least in 10.4) show the original battery capacity, coconut does.

And I didn't know that coconut screws up in 10.5/intel. It worked great for me on 10.4/G4.

To sum it up, his battery is 100% healthy.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: March 09, 2008 09:29PM
space-time
you got the numbers Wrong, RAMd@d.

The Full charge capacity (mAh): 4400 is the *current* capacity of the battery. For a new battery, it may actually be a little over the "original battery capacity".

System profiler does NOT (at least in 10.4) show the original battery capacity, coconut does.

And I didn't know that coconut screws up in 10.5/intel. It worked great for me on 10.4/G4.

To sum it up, his battery is 100% healthy.

Well, not quite-- it gave him an erronious number for the current charge.

I do find coconut useful for stating the original capacity and expressing the percentage of capacity relative to that.
Date: March 09, 2008 09:54PM
RAMd®d

New, your battery's maximum capacity was 4400 mAh. When fully charged, your run time was 3-4hrs, I don't know.

Now, due to aging, the maximum capacity is 3565 mAh. Now your runtime is down to what-- two, maybe three hours, if you're careful, and lucky? Again, I don't know.

[snip]

The maximum capacity is less than new, so even fully charged the smaller capacity gives you less runtime. The 4400 number won't change in your machine, unless you put a higher capacity battery in it. OWC sells NuPower hi-cap batteries, but I don't know how much extra runtime you'll get.

The "other" number, 3565 will continue to get smaller, and again, even when charged to 100%, will give you shorter "life" still.

yes, he does not understand these numbers.

4400 is the *current* FULL capacity. I think this is also the ORIGINAL capacity (but I cannot tell for sure unless we know the model of the battery). Then the battery is 100% healthy.

The "other" number, 3565 is the current charge in the battery, and will go down not because the battery ages, but because the laptop is unplugged. or it will go up if the laptop is plugged in. right not, the menu bar shows 81% (3565/4400).

The 4400 will eventually go down as the battery ages.

Once the battery ages, system profiles (10.4) does not show the original capacity. Maybe 10.5 does, I don't know for sure. That's why I refer coconut, it also keeps a history. I am disappointed that it does not work properly in 10.5/intel. I hope the developer fixes it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login