Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.75 ( -6.95 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Birthday present ideas for dad turning 74
Posted by: earache
Date: March 18, 2008 12:56PM
Dad's turning 74 this week and I'm having a terrible time figuring out what to get him. He's got everything that he wants and won't give me any hints. I'm stumped. I would get him books but his eyesight is getting really bad. I gave him a PSP last year but have had a hard time finding games that are easy for him to play. He's not active, more of the couch potato type. He does still cook so I thought about giving him a gift certificate to Sur La Table or something. Why are parents so hard to shop for? Any ideas? I guess hookers and booze are an option...

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Birthday present ideas for dad turning 74
Posted by: Biff Lugnut
Date: March 18, 2008 12:59PM
AppleTV.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 18, 2008 01:01PM
A 22 year old hot chick as a workout partner?

Sorta like a hooker.... only a different sort of workout :-)

My dad is only a couple years short of that, and in the 8 months since he started going to the local gym, his health has improved dramatically.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 18, 2008 01:08PM
Biff Lugnut
AppleTV.

My parents are still on dial-up. DSL is in the works and hopefully will be available to them shortly. If they only had highspeed internet I could think of a hundred things to buy.

earache
Posted by: dmann
Date: March 18, 2008 01:20PM
Do you live close to him? Sur la Table offers some cool cooking classes so maybe that is something you (or your kid(s) if you have them) could do with him. A gift certificate and a class would be a great gift!

How about an iPod with some good audiobooks you preload for him?

Can you do a short trip someplace cool?

DM
Posted by: lipskidder
Date: March 18, 2008 01:20PM
Give him a movie of you and your family just enjoying yourselves.

My grandpa went blind and every year I would get him something strange to feel - something blobby or slimy or sticky. I was funny him trying to figure it out. When he died he told my grandma to give them back to me. That was one of the saddest days. I never thought he kept them. They have lost all of their gooey properties by then and were just collecting dust. But he had kept all of them.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 18, 2008 01:30PM
You said he liked to cook -

Gift certificate from a local gourmet / cooking shop ?

Mail order meat ? (not like Paul F's suggestion - steaks or something not chicks)

Good knife ?

Cooking lessons ?

Maybe Trisho's chocolate mint cookies !! <edit to add cookies !>

My mom is hard to buy for (gets tougher all the time) and every year she says the same thing
"Don't get me anything!"

Last year my sisters and I racked our brains for weeks, and couldn't come up with anything.
Her birthday arrived and we had her party / dinner at my sisters house and we were still stuck.

We had cards for her and then we told her we got her just what she always wanted .... NOTHING !

I never saw her laugh so hard in my life and she was delighted (we gave her an IOU) but she
said she was so happy to finally get what she wanted for once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 01:36PM by lafinfil.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: March 18, 2008 01:46PM
When my dad turned 75 my brothers and I got him a bottle of very fine scotch. Like your dad, mine doesn't need or even want any more stuff. So this gift went down really well!

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: karsen
Date: March 18, 2008 02:20PM
If you live near him take him out somewhere for the day, no interruptions. Go fishing, or boating or something you did together a long time ago that will stir up memories. Physical gifts are great, but when it's all over memories are most important.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: March 18, 2008 02:28PM
karsen
If you live near him take him out somewhere for the day, no interruptions. Go fishing, or boating or something you did together a long time ago that will stir up memories. Physical gifts are great, but when it's all over memories are most important.

Ditto with the activity. My brother and I take my dad out golfing at an expensive course, or we hop on a plane and take him to a college football game for his favorite team.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: March 18, 2008 02:50PM
Biff Lugnut
AppleTV.

Yeah I gave my parents one. They were kinda glassy eyed when they opened it like "what the heck is this," but once I set it up for them they took to it like a politician to an extra-marital affair. They especially love how they can show their friends all their pics on the TV, though I suspect their friends don't appreciate it. Oddly enough they don't use it to watch videos much and don't really get the "YouTube" part. They mostly use it for music, photos, and to watch movie previews before they go out.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 18, 2008 02:59PM
When my dad turned 75, my cousin gave him a gift certificate for a ride in a hot air balloon. I don't think my dad will ever forget it - not only did he really enjoy it, it was something none of his friends had ever done, so it gave him plenty of bragging rights.

And now for a joke:

Gramps just turned 90, so his friends and family had a huge party for him. All of a sudden a naked young lady popped up and asked him if wanted some super sex for his birthday. Gramps sat up straight and, "I'll take the soup!"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 18, 2008 04:23PM
lipskidder
Give him a movie of you and your family just enjoying yourselves.

My grandpa went blind and every year I would get him something strange to feel - something blobby or slimy or sticky. I was funny him trying to figure it out. When he died he told my grandma to give them back to me. That was one of the saddest days. I never thought he kept them. They have lost all of their gooey properties by then and were just collecting dust. But he had kept all of them.

That's a very sweet story. Thank you for telling it.

Posted by: maco
Date: March 18, 2008 04:55PM
karsen

Another vote for this one. Can you take a weekend trip? Had some fun trips with my dad, even when he was in his 90's. He finally passed away at 93 years old.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: March 18, 2008 05:17PM
For my dad's 75th b'day, my siblings and i arranged for the 2 sib's that live away to get themselves and their kids into town without dad knowing, and then we took him to a birthday cookout at a covered cabana-like area at a nice local park. When he got close enough to see the faces he couldn't believe everyone had snuck into town to help celebrate his day. He loved it.

I especially like the idea above about preloading an ipod with some audiobooks, and include a few months or year's subscription to audible.com or an itunes card. You mentioned he can't read like he used to due to failing eyesight....
Date: March 18, 2008 05:27PM
Great ideas everybody. Thanks.

I like the idea of taking him somewhere. It'll just have to be some place where he doesn't have to do a lot of walking... he hates walking. Maybe just go to the beach, hang out, have a picnic, drink some wine and watch the waves. He would like that, especially if his one and only granddaughter tags along. Will be a little chilly at Bodega though... guess that's what the wine's for.

earache
Posted by: maco
Date: March 18, 2008 06:40PM
earache
Will be a little chilly at Bodega though... guess that's what the wine's for.

Watch out for the birds!

Date: March 18, 2008 06:50PM
maco
earache
Will be a little chilly at Bodega though... guess that's what the wine's for.

Watch out for the birds!

Of course.

earache
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login