advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.76 ( +2.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can you use those new 19.2V Lithium batteries with an older 19.2V tool?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 20, 2008 09:46AM
So I have a couple of Craftsman cordless power tools that use the 19.2V rechargeable batteries but they are not Lithium Ion. Sears is now promoting the new 19.2V Lithium Ion batteries as being much better of course, and since some of my batteries are staring to wear out I was wondering if I could buy the new batteries and charger for use with my old tools.

Seems like it should work so long as they are physically the same shape. Anybody have experience with this?

[www.sears.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can you use those new 19.2V Lithium batteries with an older 19.2V tool?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 20, 2008 09:48AM
mikebw
So I have a couple of Craftsman cordless power tools that use the 19.2V rechargeable batteries but they are not Lithium Ion. Sears is now promoting the new 19.2V Lithium Ion batteries as being much better of course, and since some of my batteries are staring to wear out I was wondering if I could buy the new batteries and charger for use with my old tools.

Seems like it should work so long as they are physically the same shape. Anybody have experience with this?

[www.sears.com]
Won't Fit
**EDIT**
MEA CULPA!!
This one will fit!!
Sorry, I have experience with the earlier 19.2v power drill.
Take your power tool into a local Sears and try it first though!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:03AM by BigGuynRusty.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: March 20, 2008 10:06AM
If they're from the C3 line, the lithium batteries will work in them.
Posted by: Jem
Date: March 20, 2008 10:06AM
Seems you might need a new charger... at the very least, check into that, too... as Ni-Cad and LiIon chargers undoubtedly work differently, even if the battery posts are the same size.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: March 20, 2008 10:09AM
I've also found that Sears does not keep the same standard/design within the same voltage.

However, the listing copy pretty clearly suggests backwards compatibility, even to the point of stating that you can use your old battery with the new charger:

Latest innovation in power tools. Li-Ion produces a longer run time, more power and better performance in extreme temperatures. It also has a low discharge rate when not in use meaning it will minimize having to charge the battery before use. The new 19.2-volt lithium battery (#11374) will increase the performance and run time of all the Craftsman C3 tools. Some up to a 200% increase over their Ni-Cad counterpart. Li-Ion batteries include a push button fuel gauge on the front of the battery indicating the amount of power remaining. As the battery is used, the indicator will glow green, yellow and then red to indicate it is time to recharge. Battery will fully charge in only one hour with this new and improved charger. This new battery (#11374) REQUIRES the use of the new and improved charger (#25926). This new and improved charger will charge the 19.2-volt Lithium-Ion batteries in one hour. This unit will also charge the Ni-Cad batteries originally charged by the #11041 charger in only 45 minutes.
Posted by: Jem
Date: March 20, 2008 10:13AM
Black Landlord
I've also found that Sears does not keep the same standard/design within the same voltage.

However, the listing copy pretty clearly suggests backwards compatibility, even to the point of stating that you can use your old battery with the new charger:

Latest innovation in power tools. Li-Ion produces a longer run time, more power and better performance in extreme temperatures. It also has a low discharge rate when not in use meaning it will minimize having to charge the battery before use. The new 19.2-volt lithium battery (#11374) will increase the performance and run time of all the Craftsman C3 tools. Some up to a 200% increase over their Ni-Cad counterpart. Li-Ion batteries include a push button fuel gauge on the front of the battery indicating the amount of power remaining. As the battery is used, the indicator will glow green, yellow and then red to indicate it is time to recharge. Battery will fully charge in only one hour with this new and improved charger. This new battery (#11374) REQUIRES the use of the new and improved charger (#25926). This new and improved charger will charge the 19.2-volt Lithium-Ion batteries in one hour. This unit will also charge the Ni-Cad batteries originally charged by the #11041 charger in only 45 minutes.

Ahh... so you will need a new charger, but at least you won't HAVE to keep 2 chargers around if you still have some old but still useful Ni-Cad batteries. That's a nice feature of the new charger.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 21, 2008 01:37AM
Mine are not the "C3" series tools so I will have to physically compare the two in-store as suggested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login