Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.61 ( +0.08 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why does a nap make me feel worse?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 23, 2008 10:09PM
I fell asleep during the 9:00 Law and Order, and woke up in time for the 10:00 Law and Order.

I think the pollen has started. I could not help falling asleep. But regardless, I have never been a person that reacted well to a nap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why does a nap make me feel worse?
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: March 23, 2008 10:12PM
Es ist die Frühlingsmüdigkeit, ganz genau.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2008 10:18PM
I don't know about that, but but rap makes me feel pretty bad.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 23, 2008 10:22PM
Naps need to be no more than 40 minutes long according the latest findings.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 23, 2008 10:42PM
you did not need a nap, that's why
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 23, 2008 11:46PM
I'd guess you're not getting enough sleep when you're supposed to.
For me, there are times when I take a nap when i'm just tiered from doing a lot, and i wake up feeling pretty good. then there are times i take a nap because I've been burning the candle at both ends and not getting enough normal sleep. When i wake up from those naps i feel like someone has been beating me about the head with a sandbag. Everything is off kilter, and, to quote bob Dylan, "people just get uglier and i have no sense of time."

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: March 23, 2008 11:54PM
Maybe it's time for a visit to the doctor.

A friend was recently diagnosed with type-2 diabetes and one thing we've been talking about is how about an hour after a meal, he gets very tired and often crashes for an hour without feeling rested when he wakes up.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: March 24, 2008 05:33AM
The findings referred to here, I've seen that too. There's a kind of nap that's restful and refreshing, and that's a very light sleep, for 20 or 30 minutes, lightly dozing, but no longer than 40. If you go into a deeper sleep, or REM sleep, then you can feel disoriented and not rested. In order for the nap to be refreshing, it's light, shallow. Once you fall over that cliff, your cooked. I've had that issue too, and my sleep cycle is mixed up now.

There's even a nickname for the beneficial kind of nap (though it's kind of dated now) a "Power Nap". People allegedly did it in their office, at work. And famous figures have been known to do it. Winston Churchill, for example. A mid-afternoon light sleep, waking up refreshed after only 30 minutes. Churchill used to even put his pajamas on to do it. And he was known to be strong as a horse, and got by on little sleep.

But then, he drank all day, too, and smoked big cigars. So, who knows.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: March 24, 2008 07:42AM
If I am feeling real bad a nap and all my naps are a hour or more will make me feel better. If I get real excited and trouble concentrating then I feel bad and want to nap more. All I see to hear here is long naps are not good but I really need to. Moodswing stuff.

Da Good Life
Posted by: guod
Date: March 24, 2008 07:51AM
my wife "forbids" me from taking naps.

I RARELY nap to begin with, so if I sleep in the middle of the day, it's because I'm exhausted.

If I nap for 20 minutes, I'm a bear for the next 20 minutes after I wake up.
If I nap for an hour, I'm a bear for the next hour after I wake up.

I've NEVER been a morning person.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 24, 2008 08:42AM
guod

Sounds like we know who wears the pants around there.

Grateful11
Posted by: chipste®
Date: March 24, 2008 09:04AM
My Grandfather used to come home at lunch and take a nap in his chair. When his car keys fell out of his hand, he would get up.

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon

Posted by: guod
Date: March 24, 2008 09:09AM
guod

I RARELY nap to begin with, so if I sleep in the middle of the day, it's because I'm exhausted.

If I nap for 20 minutes, I'm a bear for the next 20 minutes after I wake up.
If I nap for an hour, I'm a bear for the next hour after I wake up.

I've NEVER been a morning person.

not really. Otherwise I would have said she forbids me instead of she "forbids" me.

You're lucky I didn't just wake up from a nap or I'd be grumpy with you !

winking smiley

Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 24, 2008 10:21AM
when i'm logging long driving miles and starting to get drowsy, pulling into a rest area and taking a 10 - 15 minute power nap does more for me than a pot of coffee. longer than that i stay drowsy. i set an alarm timer on my phone to wake me up. it's amazing how beneficial power naps are.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 24, 2008 11:07AM
You're dying.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 24, 2008 11:51AM
We are all dying.

The nap had to have been about 40-45 minutes. It took me about 45 minutes to wake up well.

I was extremely tired, because I usually have no problem watching TV until midnight.

When I woke up I just felt yucky, not disoriented, and I definitely slept hard.

No diabetes.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 24, 2008 12:08PM
Obviously this is all pretty personal to you, but my guess is that this particular nap was 1) too late in the day to be a nap; and 2) too long. At that time of night, you really fell asleep, and should have stayed asleep, and so you felt terrible because you had interrupted sleep.

If taking a quick 20-30 nap in the middle of the day never feels good, then that is a different story, but that depends on the person.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 24, 2008 05:20PM
michaelb
Obviously this is all pretty personal to you, but my guess is that this particular nap was 1) too late in the day to be a nap; and 2) too long. At that time of night, you really fell asleep, and should have stayed asleep, and so you felt terrible because you had interrupted sleep.

If taking a quick 20-30 nap in the middle of the day never feels good, then that is a different story, but that depends on the person.

Amen. Anybody who falls asleep at 9 p.m. should just be cashing it in for the evening, in spite of what's "normal".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login