The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
interior doors. Wood vs fiberglass
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 28, 2008 11:14AM
Interior doors. Wood vs fiberglass

Hi everyone,

My bathroom is nearly compleete and I’m getting ready to start the next stage of my remodeling which is the bedroom. At this point, I plan to replace four closet doors, the molding around these doors, the molding around the door to the bedroom and the base molding and ceiling molding around the entire room.

The doors are currently standard 80” length. I’m opening up the walls to go with 96” doors for additional storage space. Solid wood doors a very pricey. Four doors will cost approximately $1200 or more. Let’s just say that’s a bit pricey considering I still need to allocate cash towards remodeling the kitchen, the hallway and the living room.

So, instead of wood, I’m thinking fiberglass. Anyone have experience with fiberglass interior doors?

Thanks,

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: interior doors. Wood vs fiberglass
Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 28, 2008 11:17AM
Have you ever tapped on a fiberglass door? Feels and sounds like plastic. If you're fine with that, then fine.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 28, 2008 11:24AM
A fire involving anything fiberglass or plastic will grow more quickly and produce more toxic smoke. Just something to think about.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 28, 2008 12:51PM
Loud, noisy, they actually carry sound if they are not foam filled.
They cheap ones aren't fire-rated as macphanatic mentioned.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: billb
Date: March 28, 2008 01:07PM
All the ones I've seen have not worn well at all.
Date: March 28, 2008 01:57PM
Hi everyone,

Just one thing in case you missed it. These are for interior closest doors. Minimal wear and tear and definitely will not be exposed to the elements.

Robert
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 28, 2008 02:00PM
To echo billb, "All the ones I've seen have not worn well at all." That is based on interior not exterior in my case, and I am assuming in his.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 28, 2008 02:01PM
What's wrong with regular hollow wood doors?
Date: March 28, 2008 02:14PM
Gareth,

They seem to only come in standard 80" model. I need 96" doors. That and I'd like something with panels to go along with the other doors in the apartment.

Robert
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 28, 2008 06:12PM
Four closet doors? Are these bifolds? What height is the ceiling? You might have to stop the crown if there is not a "header" at the top to cross over the doors. We have 8'(94" plus) by 96' wide sliding mirror doors in one bedroom. They work well and add to the "size" of the room. Add to your cost knocking out the existing header etc. and any repairs. You will have to "rejam" the sides and clean up the overhead. Maybe you can find a Masonite primed panel door in your height. It's my favorite for "saving your back and budget" and paints well. Usually they are to small panels over four large. If you are going to paint the moulding, get primed mdf, cost is much lower, and labor is also. Hardwoods are going through the roof, I think China is buying everything.
Date: March 29, 2008 07:55AM
Artie,

Thank you for the excellent response! The ceiling is 9' tall with two plain ol' 6.8" solid wood panel doors. My contractor is going to demolish and redo the entire section and rejam it and redo the overhead to replace the two doors with four 96" doors. I'll have to look at Masonite.

Never thought of MDF for the mouldings. Definitely far less expensive than solid wood and a viable option since nothing is going near the ceilings and once stuff is in place, no concern for the base

China is buying everything. Wood, brass, you name it. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the non-wood options. I have to save money where I can without skimping on the quality.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018