advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.66 ( +0.23 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any aspiring electricians? Halogen lamp rewiring...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 02, 2008 01:12AM
Mrs. Buzz's night stand reading light seems to be on the fritz... worked great for a few years, but now has gone through three bulbs in a couple of months. hard to believe it's a bad bunch of bulbs (50W halogen). light has a mind of its own; won't stay on, goes on and off sporadically, so was thinking it might be the switch and/or socket. have never messed w/ wiring halogens, only regular incandescent lamps... is there anything overly complicated in dealing w/ halogen wiring? or should we take it into a lamp store for repair? I've looked for replacement lights, but haven't found anything [reasonably priced] yet that Mrs. Buzz likes anywhere near as much as the old one, which we got for about $100... everything similar runs $300-$500 or more. ideas? thanks,

Buzz
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any aspiring electricians? Halogen lamp rewiring...
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 02, 2008 01:17AM
Buzz
Mrs. Buzz's night stand reading light seems to be on the fritz... worked great for a few years, but now has gone through three bulbs in a couple of months. hard to believe it's a bad bunch of bulbs (50W halogen). light has a mind of its own; won't stay on, goes on and off sporadically, so was thinking it might be the switch and/or socket. have never messed w/ wiring halogens, only regular incandescent lamps... is there anything overly complicated in dealing w/ halogen wiring? or should we take it into a lamp store for repair? I've looked for replacement lights, but haven't found anything [reasonably priced] yet that Mrs. Buzz likes anywhere near as much as the old one, which we got for about $100... everything similar runs $300-$500 or more. ideas? thanks,

Buzz
==
Does it have a transformer?
Most of the older ones do, most likely the transformer.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: April 02, 2008 02:34AM
Does it have a transformer?
Most of the older ones do, most likely the transformer.

Is the bulb a 115v bulb? Then no transformer should normally be present, if it's 12v (low voltage typical) then a transformer could be suspect.

My guess would be the switch which are usually marginal on most imported lamps these days (china syndrome). Bad contacts can be a problem, look for deformed/unsprung connections and or discolored contacts.

A good lamp shop could likely figure it out if your not too much of a DIY type.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 02, 2008 09:45AM
And if you DO get into the DIY work, do realize that the wiring around the bulb will need to be high temperature rated, as halon bulbs are notoriously hot little buggers.

Blowing bulbs is often a sign of something else- a wonky switch may contribute to the problem (by causing startup / shutdown to have spikes and arcing). If there is a transformer in the loop, I'd look at that one first.
Date: April 02, 2008 11:56AM
yep, 12V brick under the bed, and when the light worked well, it did get very hot. the switch is near the bulb, on the adjustable arm side of the toggle that holds the lamp head... it was the heat and proximity that has me thinking switch/socket originally.

if I pull the bulb out, is there a reliable way to test the transformer other that putting a voltmeter on the contacts and turning the switch on and off... which w/o the heat & bulb present is likely to give inaccurate results? slapping a new cord and socket in a 110V lamp has been much easier over the years... may have to call a couple of lamp shops to get quotes... thanks.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 02, 2008 01:21PM
Buzz
yep, 12V brick under the bed, and when the light worked well, it did get very hot. the switch is near the bulb, on the adjustable arm side of the toggle that holds the lamp head... it was the heat and proximity that has me thinking switch/socket originally.

if I pull the bulb out, is there a reliable way to test the transformer other that putting a voltmeter on the contacts and turning the switch on and off... which w/o the heat & bulb present is likely to give inaccurate results? slapping a new cord and socket in a 110V lamp has been much easier over the years... may have to call a couple of lamp shops to get quotes... thanks.
Throw It Away!!
Unless you like burning down your house and/or killing your Loved Ones!!
The transformer is breaking down and the thermal switch inside the brick is cycling off and on.
I will say again, cut the cord off this thing and throw it away!!
They were dangerous when they were new, it is deadly now!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 02, 2008 03:20PM
hmm. Hot brick,. hot lamp. I go with Big's suggestion. Time to get a greener (and safer) light source for the missus. You've got to have a better way to warm things up in bed than starting a fire under it !
Date: April 02, 2008 09:03PM
sorry, my not clear; lamp hood and proximate area got hot... brick barely only gets warm. paired wire splits upon entering base, w/ one wire running through each side of articulating beams of lamp structure, so if total rewire is needed, it's got double the usual wire fishing to be done... fwiw, my prior googling was inconclusive based on the symptoms; I was hoping over the last few weeks just to find a viable replacement for under $100, but no luck there...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login