advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Review my choices of LCD TVs, please
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 05, 2008 12:19PM
I need a new set for my kitchen. Because of where I want to put it, there's a limit to the height, so that's why I've limited my options to these two - either would fit, but other 19" sets are too high.

First, a really cool looking Envision:

[www.costco.com]|79|2341&N=4001382%204294908729&Mo=8&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Or, a Sharp that's currently on sale:

[www.costco.com]

I don't speak TV well, so I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. I won't be using the HD capabilities of either set. The biggest difference I see is the contrast ratio, but I don't know how important that is on a set that will be used mostly for watching the evening news.

It looks like either would double as an external monitor. Am I reading that right?

Costco also has a 19" Magnavox and a 19" ViewSonic, but both are just a touch too tall to fit where the old TV is. (Which is a very convenient spot.)

Thank you!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Review my choices of LCD TVs, please
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 05, 2008 12:31PM
Sharp

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: pinion
Date: April 05, 2008 12:43PM
Go with which ever one has the better picture quality. In my experience that would be the Sharp but without seeing them I don't know. You're the one that has to watch it so if it looks good to you then it's a good TV.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: artie67
Date: April 05, 2008 01:11PM
Have the LC-19SK24U Sharp. Specs look the same. Mine is gloss black with an extra magnet backed remote. The remote sits in the front of the stand or side of the range hood in my case. Loads of features and excellent picture.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 05, 2008 01:22PM
The Envision has slightly better resolution (1440x900 [16:10] vs. 1366x768 [16:9]), better contrast (800 vs. 400), slightly more audio power (6W vs. 4W).

But your eyes are the best decider. If you plan on using it as a monitor, in addition to a TV, the Envision might be slightly better for that...
Date: April 05, 2008 01:31PM
Everybody seems to be agreeing on the Sharp. I guess I also should have asked in my original post "Why?" smiling smiley
Date: April 05, 2008 01:34PM
MikeF
The Envision has slightly better resolution (1440x900 [16:10] vs. 1366x768 [16:9]), better contrast (800 vs. 400), slightly more audio power (6W vs. 4W).

But your eyes are the best decider. If you plan on using it as a monitor, in addition to a TV, the Envision might be slightly better for that...

Well, gee, you were answering the "why" while I was asking the question! Unfortunately I can't look at them to compare picture quality because both seem to be available online only. Of course, I bet anything will look spectacular in comparison to the little 10 year old 13" TV I've been using.

Oh, my. I need more votes, please!
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: April 05, 2008 02:11PM
I vote for the Envision. Like their monitors, have never had their TV, but I like the difference in resolution and if you are using it in your kitchen then you will be standing close to it (?) and could notice the difference, possibly.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: April 05, 2008 02:39PM
Well, any of you who recommended the Sharp have my permission to say "I told you so" if I complain, but I'm going to order the Envision. It's just so danged cute! I've also been very happy with an Envision monitor my late husband bought for me several years ago.

Thanks everybody!
Posted by: pinion
Date: April 05, 2008 02:45PM
I'm sure in the grand scheme of things you'll enjoy either one. Good luck with your purchase!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Wailer
Date: April 06, 2008 11:25AM
If you aren't using the HD capabilities I'd recommend getting an SD LCD.

SD looks like crap on most HDTVs and not just because you are comparing it to an HD image. Most HDTVs have poor scalers so they don't convert 640x480i analog well (panasonic is probably the best of the consumer brands).

If you are only watching SD analog only, try finding an older, 4:3, analog, NTSC TV and save yourself a lot of money and get a better picture to boot. I know it's not as sexy as 16:9, but I see lots of 4:3 LCD Tvs in the $50 range. After Feb 2009, you'll see a bunch of people giving these away.
Date: April 06, 2008 11:42AM
Wailer
If you aren't using the HD capabilities I'd recommend getting an SD LCD.

SD looks like crap on most HDTVs and not just because you are comparing it to an HD image. Most HDTVs have poor scalers so they don't convert 640x480i analog well (panasonic is probably the best of the consumer brands).

If you are only watching SD analog only, try finding an older, 4:3, analog, NTSC TV and save yourself a lot of money and get a better picture to boot. I know it's not as sexy as 16:9, but I see lots of 4:3 LCD Tvs in the $50 range. After Feb 2009, you'll see a bunch of people giving these away.

Oh, oh. You're speaking a language I do not understand. sad smiley
Date: April 06, 2008 11:57AM
I figured it out. Maybe.
Date: April 06, 2008 12:40PM
A scaler will upscale all signals your TV receives to be 1400x900 for the envision TV.

So when your TV receives a 640x480 interlaced signal, which is what all standard definition broadcasts are (ie, analog and digital cable, non-HD satellite feeds), it needs to upscale that to fit your TV. It also needs to deinterlace it. All these things take processing power.

When your TV doesn't have a good scaler, it makes the resulting image really poor. Much worse than a plain old picture tube.

If interested, try reading this:

[www.technologyevangelist.com]
Date: April 06, 2008 01:23PM
OK, I really am trying to understand this! Honest!

Maybe what you need to do is find me an example of the kind of set you're suggesting. Left to my own devices, I haven't been able to locate one that is "SD LCD". sad smiley
Date: April 06, 2008 10:42PM
You won't find many sold anymore since most people are going to HD with their HD sources (HD cable, Over-the-air, HD Satellite). It's just easier for them to make sets that are HD compatible.

I guess it comes down to how important the picture quality is to you. If this is your kitchen, you probably aren't going to watch movies on dvd. Although DVD will look pretty good on any HD TV.

If you may go to HDTV one day, then get the HDTV. You also can hook up an antenna and see if you get any of the locals broadcast in digital. The picture is awesome if you can get the signal.

Try this link:

[www.amazon.com]
Date: April 07, 2008 09:57AM
I did some more research, and I'm going to go ahead and get the Envision. When I went back and re-read your comments, especially the one where you said people would be giving these away come next year, I did more exploring. I need a set that has an ATSC tuner built in, and I can't find one of those that isn't also designated for HDTV. Antenna reception is out of the question here, so I'll either need the ATSC tuner or a box, and I don't want no box! smiling smiley Thanks!
Date: April 07, 2008 11:45AM
Sorry if I created more confusion for you.

Just so you know, the ATSC tuner is for receiving digital broadcasts over the air. I'm not positive about this, but I'm ATSC may not work with anything that requires coaxial cable like analog cable or cable boxes that require your TV to be on channel 3. For those you'll need an NTSC tuner, which the Envision has.

Most HD TVs, like the envision, have both NTSC and ATSC tuners. A small fraction of the older ones just have NTSC (like the Philips 23PF5320 that I have) and there are some newer ones that have ATSC only. ATSC is the future, ie digital broadcasts. So it doesn't surprise me that you can't find HDTV w/o an ATSC tuner these days.

But just make sure you understand that the ATSC tuner is mainly for receiving over-the-air digital broadcasts via antenna ONLY.

Other than that, the TV looks great! Let me know how it is.
Date: April 07, 2008 06:33PM
Part of my problem has been that I'd called Comcast a while back and asked what I'd need come February of 2009. The person I talked to then said I'd have to get a digital conversion box for each set, if the TV didn't have a digital tuner - ATSC. Well, after this "conversation" with you, I called them again a few minutes ago. This time instead of calling customer support, I called tech support. The woman assured me that any TV, regardless of age or the type of tuner it had, was going to keep working just fine after February 17, 2009. That's what I was hearing from other people, but that certainly wasn't what I'd been told during my first call!

I'm still going to go with the Envision, just in case I ever decide to make use of the HD capabilities. I have a tin ear in terms of music, which means my eyesight probably isn't discriminating enough at my age so I'll even notice if the picture quality isn't too good. smiling smiley At least I'll have a TV that isn't 20 years behind the times.

Yes, you did confuse me somewhat, but that led to me having a much better understanding of all of this than I had before. More knowledge is always a good thing. Well, at least in this case it is. Thank you!
Date: April 07, 2008 08:55PM
Your cable will not go dead after Feb 2009. Anyone with satellite and cable will be fine. That's why I was suggesting finding an older, used LCD with NTSC; those will still work with cable and satellite.

Only people who currently use antennas with older tuners (NTSC) will lose a picture . All over-the-air broadcasts will now be digital and require an ATSC tuner.

And if you ever plan to migrate to HD, definitely go with HD capable TV. DVDs will look great too.

PM me and tell me how the TV is!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018