advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Was Your 1st Car?
Posted by: maco
Date: April 06, 2008 04:41PM
Mine 1965 Lincoln Continental. Canary Yellow with Gold colored leather seats. It had a 430 engine. Could lay a pretty good scratch. i drove it at excessive speeds from time-to-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Was Your 1st Car?
Posted by: microchip13
Date: April 06, 2008 04:43PM
1994 Celica GT.

smiling smiley

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Date: April 06, 2008 04:43PM
microchip13
1994 Celica GT.

smiling smiley
Do you drive at excessive speeds?
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: April 06, 2008 04:45PM
'68 Camaro. Bought it used ('scuse me, pre-owned) when I got my license in '73. Wish I still had it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 06, 2008 04:47PM
'64 Plymouth Belevedere seafoam green

pushbutton automatic on the dashboard
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 06, 2008 04:48PM
67 Chevy Nova. I think it was a straight 6. There was so much room under the hood that you could almost stand between the engine and the wheel well. It was a good car until a guy ran a red light . . .
Date: April 06, 2008 04:51PM
I corner at a pretty good clip....

I think I might go for a drive later on today.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: April 06, 2008 04:52PM
Back in 1985 had a 1970 Buick Estate Wagon - 455ci of raw gas sucking power - white with sweet wood grain fake paneling- not! The thing was a tank!!

nice fold-down back area though....wonderful for a lot of activities.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 06, 2008 04:53PM
We have smaller cars over here. This is what my first car looked like, it's a Ford Anglia Estate with a one litre engine.

Posted by: Microman
Date: April 06, 2008 04:58PM
56 Chevy. 2 Dr. With Post
Posted by: artie67
Date: April 06, 2008 05:00PM
'53 Ford, salmon and white Victoria "hardtop convertible"(2-door with no pilar). It later became Earl Shieb black and a "stoplight dragster" with '50 Cad/Hydromatic combo. Remember the 8.14x15 slicks in the rear? Got over 110 mph before the front (all of it) started to lift off the frame. Next was a '58 Volvo 444 and '73 Saab EMS.
Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: April 06, 2008 05:02PM
'71 Triumph Spitfire Mark IV
Posted by: LyleH
Date: April 06, 2008 05:02PM
In 1957, a stick-shift 1953 Ford Victoria (two-tone). Lasted a long time.

LyleH
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 06, 2008 05:05PM
Well, let's see if this works:

Edit: OK, now who knows what it is? Mine was just like this, except it had full hubcaps, so you couldn't see that ugly red wheel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 05:07PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 06, 2008 05:05PM
1981 Ford LTD, hand-me-down from my mom. It had the same exterior as a lot of police cars back then (1987), and I used to freak my friends out when I pulled up at night; half the time they didn't know if it was me or the law.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 06, 2008 05:08PM
64 Pontiac GTO convertible back in 1972. Red and way too fast for a kid.
Posted by: josntme
Date: April 06, 2008 05:10PM
[tinyurl.com]

Bought it used from a friend while stationed in the US Army in Germany. Was a great car.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 05:27PM by josntme.
Posted by: MacMission
Date: April 06, 2008 05:14PM
1972 Fiat 128 station wagon. High maintenance.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 06, 2008 05:17PM
1966 Mustang. I was thinking along more prosaic lines, but my eyes kind of lit up when I saw it on the lot, and my dad, bless his heart, encouraged me to go for it. A bit of vicarious living for him, I now think, and a rare example of such. I was getting paid $1.65 an hour working as a disc jockey, a whole $18/week, but between that and my paper route I managed to swing the $600 price.

I took it out on the interstate late one night and ran it flat out--100 mph. Lucky I didn't throw a rod. Just before leaving for college, I left the radiator cap off and seized up the engine. It hasn't been driven since that day in 1975, but my dad still has it in the garage; some day I'll have to decide what to do with it.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 06, 2008 05:17PM
75 Pontiac Firebird Esprit, White, burgundy interior. I was 16. It was fast.

I thought I was getting a used blue one, which was fine with me. On the way to pick it up with my uncle and cousins, we stopped at at a 7-11 for cokes. Across the street I saw a brand new white firebird. I said, " Look Dad, that is my dream car, color and everything." He said, "Let's go take a look." As we all walked around the car, I saw the temporary tag had my name on it! I could not believe it. It was a financial splurge for him.

My Dad was great at dreaming up good surprises. You would never see it coming.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 06, 2008 05:22PM

1975 Chevy Vega Hatchback, 4 speed manual transmission. Not sure what the official name of the color I had was, but it was sort of Taxi-Cab Yellow.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 06, 2008 05:23PM
1990 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon. It's sitting behind my parents' barn waiting for a Craigslist post.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 06, 2008 05:24PM
1967 Chevy Bel Air, sky blue.

I bought it in college in the mid 80s for $300. It could seat three in the front bench seat, not only comfortably but without touching each other. It had a straight six engine (183cu inch if I recall but found something else that says 250cu inch) and a person had room to stand between the engine and cowl.

While parked on the street one night it was hit by a drunk in a full size Ford F-150 pickup. The pickup bounced off my car and also hit the car parked in front of mine. Totaled the picked and the car in front and I drove mine away with only some damage to the rear quarter panel.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2008 05:27PM
'74 Camaro Type LT. White vinyl top for teh win. I was the second owner. Had it 15 years, most mechanical bits replaced. Spent way too much money on it, including EFI.
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: April 06, 2008 05:30PM
Used '73 Vega GT, 5-speed, fire engine red w/ an off-set white racing stripe and tires that looked like they were a full yard wide. Damn, I loved that car!

"Fill up the oil and check the gas, buddy!" Poor old aluminum blocks; even had the short block replaced and it still smoked like nobody's business. Had it for 4 years. Finally blew out the muffler and exhaust and sold it to one of my wife's students. He ran it for another year before it finally went to that great Chevy cemetery in the sky (or wherever dead Chevies go).
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 06, 2008 05:32PM
1987 Mercury Cougar. Something similar to this:

Had this paint job but not with the paint problems:

Had red leather interior

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 06, 2008 05:35PM

Sure wish I still had it. Bought in '71 I think, for $650 (we talked the guy down from $700). Drove it for a few years and when my older brother was getting discharged from the Marines, I let him take it back with him to bring home his stuff and he left me with his Hondo 450 motorcycle. I had a blast that summer with the bike until I got the call from him that the Mustang's engine basically blew. Still not sure of the specifics, but I've since owned two more Mustangs over the years.

(BTW, that pic is not of MY car, but it's the right year, model and color, so that's what you're gettin'.)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 06, 2008 05:35PM
'62 or '63 Ford Galaxie 500 with the 352 V-8. Can't remember the year exactly since not long after that I had a Rambler American to drive that was the other year.

Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: April 06, 2008 05:36PM
1970 Cutlass Supreme Conv. It was a hand me down, and the anti-chick magnet back in the mid 80s, but it was all I was getting so I took it. (I offered to buy my own BMW 2002 or '64+ Mustang with $ I saved up but my parents wouldn't have any of it). Funny thing is I still own it 25+ years later though it's not driven much, especially at 8 miles to the gallon. Yeah 8. It'll haul some ass, but don't expect to stop. Crappy GM brakes. I spun out a few times when I first got it trying to be a big shot (jackass) as 16 y.os like to do with their first car. Lucky I didn't kill myself, but I learned my lesson quickly.

Here is a pic of a one, but not mine.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 06, 2008 05:37PM

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 06, 2008 05:45PM
1972 Audi Fox. Rusted out POS, but it's VW engine ran like a champ, and the tranny worked just fine. Good gas mileage too, for a starving college student.
Date: April 06, 2008 05:48PM
microchip13
I corner at a pretty good clip....

I think I might go for a drive later on today.

Chip,

Hopefully, you will show better judgement than many of us here did at your age.

With the crazy driving I used to do, I am glad that I never injured anyone.
Date: April 06, 2008 05:48PM
Ah, here she is.

Posted by: djroga3
Date: April 06, 2008 05:52PM
"64 Volkswagen..bought used 1967..even managed to drive a ways without a clutch when it went out...ultimately it grew up into a (used again) Plymouth Roadrunner..

in some ways I never grew up....but that is another topic
Date: April 06, 2008 05:56PM
Well, I consider my car to be fast, I know it's not, but I consider it to be fast, at with 110 to the wheels, I'd think I'm in a fairly good situation. The only thing of importance is that my car is fun.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 06, 2008 06:00PM
I got a hand me down 69 Opal Kadette that both my sisters drove before me, but when Iwas a senior
in high school I had saved enough to buy a 1970 1/2 Firebird

1970 1/2 was the first of the second generation birds but wasn't released until Feb 1970
which is why it was called the '70 1/2

I spent a year and a half going through it and it was hit and totaled parked in front of my folks house.

Not mine - but the color is right - Arrest Me Red !

Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 06, 2008 06:01PM
62 Ford Galaxy 500. 2 dr hdtp.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 06, 2008 06:02PM
'68 VW bug, shortly thereafter to be replaced with a '65 Austin Healey Sprite, still the coolest most fun car I've ever owned.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 06, 2008 06:03PM
1965 Buick Wildcat that I bought from my sisters boyfriend in '75.

It was WAY more beat up than this pic, and I had stock wheels & hubcaps. Color was the same though.

After driving it for 2 years, a state trooper pulled me over and gave me a safety check with a list of about 20 items to be repaired in 14 days. My Dad dropped it off at the scrap yard the next day.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 06, 2008 06:04PM
55 Volkswagen, got it for $300 from the guy up the street. Had the small back window (but not split), turn signals were little arms that popped out the side window post and lit up (technically illegal, even back then but he had imported it himself). Had a rather huge AM radio that took up most of the space under the dash. Wish I had it now, it'd be worth considerably more. I was 16 at the time and had no clue. Looked like this except blue:

Posted by: karsen
Date: April 06, 2008 06:10PM

1972 VW Beetle. Bought it from an old lady in 1991 for $1200.
Posted by: Dik2
Date: April 06, 2008 06:11PM
Austin Healey Sprite (Bug Eye) 1961
then
Porsche 356A 1600 Super 1958
then
Alfa Romeo Giulia Spyder Veloce 1965 (in Germany, 1965, no speed limit outside city limits, Autobahn and country highways both!)
then
Corvette StingRay Coupe 1965 (still in Germany)
then
Pontiac Firebird 400 1968
then
Behra Porsche Formula car 1959 (raced SCCA FB)
and
Ford Fairlaine 390 1968 (tow car)
then
Fiat 124 Coupe 1969 (demo, I was running Fiat/Alfa Romeo/ Triumph/ Rover dealership)
then
VW Beetle 1962
Dodge Coronet 1971
Porsche 912 1966
then
Lotus Elan SCCA CP race car(s)
and
assorted rusty old Chevy tow cars
BMW 2002 1971
Mazda Wagon
VW Jetta (3 in a row)
Peugot 505 (gift car)
Mercedes 300D 1985 (current)
I rent a Prius from the Toyota dealer about once a month for long work trips.
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 06, 2008 06:12PM
AlphaDog
Well, let's see if this works:

Edit: OK, now who knows what it is? Mine was just like this, except it had full hubcaps, so you couldn't see that ugly red wheel.

Mercury Comet? 60, 61?
Posted by: Linda2
Date: April 06, 2008 06:13PM
1968 Cougar - sky blue. What a great car!
Posted by: Z
Date: April 06, 2008 06:13PM
First car I owned? 1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII (still own)
First car I drove regularly? 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 06, 2008 06:15PM
1949 blue Ford (used) 2 door (I think) and the clutch slipped but it only cost a couple a hundred.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 06, 2008 06:22PM
1965 VW Squareback

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 06, 2008 06:28PM
1959 Saab
Posted by: Spock
Date: April 06, 2008 06:29PM
Used 1949 Ford Prefect - 1.2 Lt, 4 cylinder side valve, 3 speed.

You could have any color you liked as long as it was black.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: davec
Date: April 06, 2008 06:39PM
1968 AMC Rebel, which I purchased used in 1975. With the stock straight 6 engine I had plenty of room to work under the hood. Once I put in a manual choke it always started and ran well. The car almost killed me when the door flew open while driving around a curve next to a semi. I reached out to grab the door and my foot went through the rusted floor. Somehow, I got myself back in the car, the door closed and my foot back up through the floor (all without hitting the semi!). A heavy piece of sheet metal for the floor, and a weld for the door striker plate, allowed me to use the car for several years after that!

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018