Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.32 ( +0.74 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dishwashers $500 - $600 range any excellent ones or ones to avoid
Posted by: olnacl
Date: April 15, 2008 06:26AM
I'm planning to put tile in my kitchen and my 25 year old Kenmore is leaking a little. While I could repair it, I believe the tile job will trap it in place (without lifting the countertop anyway) so I think it will be prudent to just replace it before the floor goes down. Having bought zero kitchen appliances in the past 25 years, I'm ignorant of what's good and bad today and I'd appreciate any real world experience based suggestions from the forum members. I only use the thing once a week max, if that has any bearing on the choice.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dishwashers $500 - $600 range any excellent ones or ones to avoid
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 15, 2008 07:04AM
Consumer Reports recommendations:

• Whirlpool DU1055XTS[Q] , $350, CR Best Buy
• Kenmore (Sears) 1373[2] , $500
• Whirlpool DU1100XTP[Q] , $450

They note that these machines are not quiet. For quiet operation and more flexible loading they recommend these:

• Kenmore (Sears) 1374[2] , $650, CR Best Buy
• Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC , $540, CR Best Buy

My Hotpoint is not quiet, and it was rather low rated by CR, but it cleans like a whiz. Just about any dishwasher these days is going to amaze you when you compare to your old one. The ones that CR says are quiet are models that you can stand right next to and not realize they are on. The noisy ones are likely to be much quieter than your old one.

The issue of stainless steel tubs is not likely to be meaningful unless you eat a lot of tomato sauce--it will eventually stain a plastic tub, but either type of tub will outlast the machine, according to CR. Some people think it's very important to have a stainless steel tub though.

The European models like the Bosch have a filter that needs fiddling with every month or so. The American models have self-cleaning filters. Also some of the European models require a cold water line which is a pain if you are switching out an American model, which is always hooked up to the hot.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 15, 2008 07:07AM
Replacing is probably a good idea. I would make sure that, once the new tile work is done, it is still possible to remove the new unit without having to tear apart the kitchen. As for recommendation, check Consumer Reports.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 15, 2008 07:44AM
Energy star - compliant ones are good to look for, too.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: April 15, 2008 08:03AM
Are you looking for a $5-600 gas range, or electric?
Date: April 15, 2008 08:28AM
Black Landlord
Are you looking for a $5-600 gas range, or electric?
Sorry - poor editing skills - I meant a dishwasher in the range of 500 to 600 dollars, although, I'm considering replacing all my appliances at some point in the future - and it will be electric when that time comes.

BTW what colors are good choices in case I do replace the whole enchilada (speaking of tomato sauce stains in the dishwasher) My kitchen is boring (but safe) beige now as are the appliances. Actually, I guess it's almond (beige).

Gutenberg - Thanks for the CR recommendations!

Posted by: abevilac
Date: April 15, 2008 08:42AM
for what it's worth - stainless is a pain to keep clean. no matter what color you choose, in 15 yrs the realtor will say -- oh, this kitchen was last done in '08...
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 15, 2008 09:31AM
For what it's worth I have Whirlpools in 6 units in my building, most of them are going on ten years old and they are still working perfectly. They have been champs and they are all low end Whirlpools, basic rental unit jobbers.
Date: April 15, 2008 09:44AM
I think l'll go with Whirlpool based on comments here and others I've heard. I guess I should subscribe to CR for reliability info. IThe last appliance I remember buying was a Speed Queen washer - living on a boat for 15 years puts a person out of touch with home appliances... I wonder if Whirlpool refrigerators and electric ranges are on top for reliability too?

How about refrigerators? Double door or top or bottom freezer? Ice and water in the door don't mean much to me, but if I put the place on the market I'd hate to get dinged because I didn't have the "right stuff" in the kitchen.

And color - Maybe black? I have black fronts on the current stove and dishwasher while the body is beige or almond and the refrigerator, which is the only appliance newer than the house (at 28 years) is beige/almond. Problem is, the refrigerator stands at the end of a counter so the side is exposed as well as the front and I wonder if that will be just too much black - or white if I went that route? I'm somewhat tired of beige.

Thanks to all for the comments and advice.

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 15, 2008 10:05AM
olnacl
I wonder if Whirlpool refrigerators and electric ranges are on top for reliability too?

Definitely yes on the refrigerators (per personal experience and Consumer Reports - they were top rated for reliability when I bought one back in 1990, and still are today. And yes, that Whirlpool from 1990 is still running fine).

I know you've already decided on a Whirlpool dishwasher - but I'll post this here for anyone else who might stumble across this thread - avoid GE dishwashers. This is from personal experience. It wasn't my choice - it's what the developer included in the place I bought. I think I'll replace it in the near future, instead of putting up with having to tinker with it every few months.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 15, 2008 10:08AM
Decide who you want to please. If you are thinking of selling the place fairly soon, stainless is definitely the in thing for kitchens. If you have no plans to sell for a while, then choose something you want to live with. For decades, every time we changed carpeting or appliances or painted the walls, my husband always convinced me to go with "what the next owner would want." H3ll, in this place, I am the "next owner" after 17 years here, and I really haven't enjoyed living with some of those choices all this time.
Posted by: Lee3
Date: April 15, 2008 10:09AM
I have not been happy with my Kitchen Aid. Doesn't clean well.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 15, 2008 11:18AM
If you are concerned about the new unit being too tall to remove after the tile job be advised that all Maytag brand dishwashers are shorter than other brands which makes them ideal for such situations. I bought a new Bosch that would not fit under the counter since the previous owner put thick slate floor tile on top of the old linoleum (which was actually on top of another layer of linoleum, ugh,). So we had to return it and get a Maytag instead, and it has been great.
Maytag MDB8751 BWQ It was $500 something from Sears.

We wanted quiet operation and the Bosch model we got first was rated #1 for that, but as it turns out the Maytag was actually #2 or 3, so it is also very quiet. Stainless interior but cream exterior to match the fridge and oven.
Posted by: tenders
Date: April 15, 2008 11:53AM
Based on our experiences with a Maytag washer and dryer we will never own another Maytag item again.

Be careful of LG dishwashers. Several of them are not as adjustable as other brands. We had one from Home Depot delivered to our house that wouldn't fit and ended up sending it back.

Miele dishwashers are also a bit shorter than most.
Date: April 15, 2008 11:56AM
AlphaDog
Decide who you want to please. If you are thinking of selling the place fairly soon, stainless is definitely the in thing for kitchens. If you have no plans to sell for a while, then choose something you want to live with. For decades, every time we changed carpeting or appliances or painted the walls, my husband always convinced me to go with "what the next owner would want." H3ll, in this place, I am the "next owner" after 17 years here, and I really haven't enjoyed living with some of those choices all this time.

Well, I'm in S FL where the housing market is somewhat lower than our average elevation- actually, in the vein of the riveting topic above, perhaps more like lying alongside the Titanic and, thus, I may be staying put for a while. On the other hand, I could just put the place up for sale and take the hit hoping I'll find something similarily distressed in the area I'd like to live. Bottom line is that I want to do no harm to resale in worst case and hopefully improve my chances in best case.

Stainless would, unless I spend beaucoup bucks, have the black sides on the refrigerator that I'm concerned with although the overall blackness would be less than if all the appliances were black.

Darn decisions! There are all kinds of "Ren-A-Hubby" businesses - where is the "Rent-A_Decorating-Whiz-Wife"?

Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 15, 2008 12:42PM
Well, if you want to keep your options open, I'll give you my opinion. That's usually adequate to generate a lively response - most often critical. smiling smiley

White is much harder to date than any of the colors or faddish finishes. As somebody else already said, anyone walking into your kitchen in several years would immediately be able to judge the age of the appliances as being within a relatively short period during which everybody just "had" to have stainless. White appliances might say "dull" to some people, but they don't evoke a particularly strong negative response. For example, if I walked in and saw a kitchen full of black appliances, I'd immediately react, and it wouldn't be a favorable reaction. Mentally I'd start calculating how many extra thousands of dollars I'd have to spend to get rid of them, no matter how feature laden they might be.

Now that I know you're in Florida, a refrigerator with bells and whistles, like ice and water dispensers in the door might be a selling point. All of my in-laws live down there, and not one of them would consider a refrigerator without those. (No, I don't happen to have them myself!) This would be especially true if your house will attract potential buyers with kids.

I don't fall into the "Rent-A_Decorating-Whiz-Wife" category, but I sure do have innocuous nailed down tight!
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 15, 2008 12:46PM
Well, I have to comment here. The Bosch has been the best dishwasher I have ever used. I love it. Totally quiet, works great, best of german engineering. I would definitely go with them again if I was in the market.
Date: April 15, 2008 01:15PM
This has been an interesting thread. I had no idea there were different heights available for "under-counter" dishwashers. I guess I better do some careful measuring of the existing opening before I plunk down the cash.

So do these use leveling feet to adjust for floor/countertop height? Is there a general height range or does that too vary between manufacturers? I was figuring that you could adjust them a little to compensate for an uneven floor, but had no idea the height differences could be significant.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 15, 2008 02:10PM
I agree completely with AlphaDog and want to add that the female version of marking territory is to redo the kitchen after buying the house. Anything that is in the kitchen is going to be too awful and disgusting to use for long--so suit yourself, not some hypothetical buyer.

I love the concept of ice and water in the door but they break so often. Still, if you don't have kids or grandkids running around it's well worth considering.

The trend is again toward enamel appliances in color--so I would go white.

Can you tell I watch HGTV?
Posted by: billb
Date: April 15, 2008 02:51PM
Does anyone actually buy that bright red washer/dryer pair that's right at the end of the aisle at Lowes ?
(or is that just an in-store display)
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: April 15, 2008 03:15PM
I bought a Whirlpool DU1100XTP last summer for $365 a/r from a local B&M dealer based on the CR review. I didn't want the $50 installation charge, so I installed the thing myself. It only took about 45 minutes, and I am pretty inept when it comes to doing projects around the house.

The model runs relatively quietly and does its job without complaint.
Date: April 15, 2008 03:47PM
I really appreciate the personal experience information and the suggestions by those who, unlike me, have taste other than only in their mouth. I believe I'm leaning toward white. (although a frequent companion suggested RED - so I guess we know who Lowes was targeting with the aforementioned washer/dryer) The painter just finished the walls in beige and some contrast will probably be nice. (Now EVERYTHING is beige - walls and cabinets!) I wonder if painting the woodwork white rather than matching the walls would be a god idea? There are only the baseboards and trim around a patio door - windows have no trim. I hate being so clueless.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 15, 2008 04:31PM
We bought a so called WhisperQuiet Kenmore in '95, it was so loud we took it back. Got a
Kitchenaid and it running fine and cleaning great ever since. My mothers first Kitchenaid
lasted 23 years.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login