advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do I stop cats from pooping in my planters?
Posted by: Wailer
Date: April 24, 2008 11:11AM
I don't have any cats. I don't hate dislike them and I'm fine with them roaming on my property.

However, 2 or 3 neighborhood cats seem to keep using my planters as a litter box! I see them day and night. I don't blame the owners. I just want to know how to get them to stop.

Would spraying them with water when they came around deter them? Would it be uncool? Again, I don't dislike cats! I just don't like cat poop (and urine?) accumulating on my property. I'm also a bit worried since my wife and I are both allergic to cats.

Is this something that I should politely inform the cats' owners about so they can provide a litter box for them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do I stop cats from pooping in my planters?
Posted by: maco
Date: April 24, 2008 11:24AM
Posted by: DRR
Wolf pee.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Fill a plastic jug with water and put it by the plants. (I think it only works if the cat is Japanese, however. [news.3yen.com] )

Seriously, you could talk to the owner but I don't know if there's much they could do. When I was a kid we kept a litter box inside, and one outside, but the cats rarely used either.

You can buy cat repellant. Some of it is plant based, and you could probably use bobcat or panther urine. You can also get hose attachments with motion detectors to spray the cats for you.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: April 24, 2008 11:25AM
Duct tape the cats butts. You could try a stapler, but then you have to deal with the scratches and such.

Some things are so simple.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 24, 2008 11:26AM
Sprinkle chili powder or cayenne pepper around the plants on the dirt.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 24, 2008 11:27AM
I might try putting small stones or pea gravel in the planters, or anything that the cats might not like walking on. If it is just dirt, they will try to dig in it.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 24, 2008 11:28AM
Cat's will go where they want... the presense of a litterbox someplace "else" won't help.
They consider the planter the comfy bathroom with heated seats and a newspaper, and a litterbox is the porta-potty.

Now, if you hose 'em when they get near the "comfy" bathroom, and they have to dry themselves with their tongue... they may well get the message.

Sadly, I predict you will get some replies suggesting toxic substances or injurious projectiles... Just ignore them.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: norse
Date: April 24, 2008 11:30AM
I have one of these and it works GREAT!!!!!

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 24, 2008 11:32AM
While I don't think it's environmentally the best answer, I do know that moth balls sprinkled on the top of the soil seems to make the planter box very unattractive to cats. If the planter is fully contained, so that there's no run off, I'd suggest trying them. They worked extremely well to keep the neighborhood cats out of a planter box at the last house, and I used a few last Spring to keep my dog from cultivating a small bed here that he'd decided to take a liking to.

And, sorry, but you should be blaming the owners. As far as I'm concerned, the cats shouldn't be out running loose. Since they are, I seriously doubt that suggesting a litter box will do any good at all.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 24, 2008 11:36AM
norse

[www.amazon.com]

the "customer images" on this page are worth a click!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 24, 2008 11:39AM
Alpha-
beat me to it. Mothballs work quite nicely. It also keeps the skunks away from the deck in my back yard . You see, they like to next under there, and then the dogs go in to try and chase them out, with malodorous results.

I bet you wish you could train the dogs to cultivate the flower bed at the right time.

I was explaining plowing and cultivation to my nine year old son, and we envisioned using a herd of a hundred Chihuahuas to cultivate a field instead of a smoke belching tractor. Since then, massive hilarity ensues every time we see someone plowing a field.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 24, 2008 11:44AM
Water pistol.

Don't leave your car windows open.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 24, 2008 11:49AM
My cat loves to dig. He gets to go outside on a leash when we're out and I swear he'll hold it for days in anticipation of the pleasure of going in the garden. He take great joy in burying his poop.

Thats so you know where i'm coming from.

Inside, placing rocks over dirt will prevent him from digging in potted plants. Outside, if he's looking to dig, i find digging a hole of my choosing will give him a preferred digging spot. he likes the soil nicely broken up - makes it fun to kick around.

I'd try gravel which would also help prevent weeds. It may help if there's a nearby location with fresh dirt which would be preferable for them. Also, unless they really REALLY like your yard, the kitty poo is probably fine for your garden.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 24, 2008 11:52AM
graylocks
norse

[www.amazon.com]

I bought one in a effort to get rid of squirrels. The biggest problem is that if it fires frequently it will contribute disease due to constantly went plants.

I have a new one i could sell you for a fair price - the squirrel problem was solved through other means.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 24, 2008 11:58AM
Get a photo sensor/motion detector, a "Y" fitting, and 2 washing machine water inlet hoses from the Hardware store. Get a washing machine water inlet valve from the local appliance repair store.

Wire up the water valve as if it were a light, per the directions in the motion detector package. Attach your hose to outside tap. Attach "Y" fitting and hoses to your hose. Attach washer inlet hoses to water valve. Place water valve outlet appropriately to spray on plants. Aim motion detector at plants. Provide power source for motion detector (extension cord plus an old appliance electrical cord with proper electrical fittings)

Warning: Any moving object will trigger water spray, including you.

After having cured the cats, you will have some backup parts for several things around the house. Disassemble the system and save parts.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 12:00PM by modelamac.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 24, 2008 12:04PM
graylocks
norse

[www.amazon.com]

LOL !

: -D

Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 24, 2008 12:06PM
I never knew mothballs were this dangerous:

"Naphthalene can enter your system through inhalation, skin absorption, ingestion, and eye and skin contact. Naphthalene may produce possible damage to eyes, liver, kidneys, skin, red blood cells, and the central nervous system. Hemolytic anemia, caused by the breakdown of red blood cells, has been reported following immediate and long-term exposure. Infants exposed to clothes, blankets, or diapers stored with Naphthalene Mothballs are at risk for hemolytic anemia,"

[www.clark.wa.gov]
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 24, 2008 12:06PM
Send warning letter to cat owners that their cats will be humanely trapped and taken to the NO KILL Shelter, where they can pick them up.
Only took about five times before neighbors stopped letting their cats roam free.
Really sad that some humans can be so irresponsible.

BGnR
***Edit***
Put it the "No Kill."

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 02:40PM by rgG.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 24, 2008 12:13PM
Chicken wire.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:15PM
mattkime
graylocks
norse

[www.amazon.com]

I bought one in a effort to get rid of squirrels. The biggest problem is that if it fires frequently it will contribute disease due to constantly went plants.

Once the cat(s) learn (it only takes a few times), they'll stay away and won't set off the sprinkler as often. The spray time is very short (about 2-4 seconds).
Date: April 24, 2008 12:21PM
I was going to suggest what norse did.

One thing I did was to lay down chicken wire in one small planter (10" x 36"). I made cutouts for the plants and bent the edges down so that it the screen was suspended about an inch above the soil so the cats could not easily scratch the dirt, and used plastic stakes to hold it down.

in tha 510.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 24, 2008 12:21PM
norse
mattkime
graylocks
norse

[www.amazon.com]

Once the cat(s) learn (it only takes a few times), they'll stay away and won't set off the sprinkler as often. The spray time is very short (about 2-4 seconds).

The customer images are hilarious.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 24, 2008 01:01PM
I should add, my mom was a master gardener and spent a lot of time dealing with the plants and gardens. We had cats most of the time I was growing up.

Cayenne pepper or chili powder always did the trick. Cats can smell it from a ways away, they wont even get close, let alone dig in anything that has a tiny bit of it on it.

It's much more environmentally friendly than moth balls.

Only drawback is you have to re-sprinkle it every so often, especially if it rains a lot.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: olnacl
Date: April 24, 2008 01:06PM
norse

[www.amazon.com]

In my part of FL that will get you a fine for watering on a restricted day unless you also have a timer that only allows it to operate on your designated day(s). Maybe have your neighbors train the cats to only poop on your day to sprinkle? - Or better yet, for everyone concerned, have them keep the cats indoors?

Posted by: martin
Date: April 24, 2008 01:19PM
Chicken or hardware wire on top of dirt is likely easiest. Then sprinkle some cayenne.

Aluminum foil, scrunched up and set on the dirt, I've heard works.

Cayenne pepper.

Avoid mothballs. Highly toxic. If you can smell them, you're too close and in too high a concentration. That smell of the sweater after pulling it out of storage? Toxic.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 24, 2008 01:28PM
If they can't dig, they won't poop - largish stones on the top of the dirt will look decorative and will allow water to get to the plant roots - and in my yard, they are free and plentiful! YMMV.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 24, 2008 02:03PM
What worked for us was cutting a piece of metal window screen that fit the planter, with the edges pushed down into the dirt. I'd guess chicken wire would do the same thing....
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: April 24, 2008 02:13PM
I actually like BGnR's suggestion. I get tired of seeing naturally friendly and roaming
cats either knocked up, or dead on the road -- especially when I recognize them.
My anger for their owners goes off the scale.

The sprinkler keeps them out of your yard, but not out of harms way.

btw... this is the worst photoshop job.......

Perhaps the owner should learn to LOCK THE DOOR in the image????
Date: April 24, 2008 02:20PM
olnacl
norse

[www.amazon.com]

In my part of FL that will get you a fine for watering on a restricted day unless you also have a timer that only allows it to operate on your designated day(s). Maybe have your neighbors train the cats to only poop on your day to sprinkle? - Or better yet, for everyone concerned, have them keep the cats indoors?

It's not watering. It's just a couple of spurts/sprays. After they've been sprayed a couple of times they don't come near the area. Then the unit does not turn on again until it detects motion. Now if you have lots of feral cats roaming in and out of the area then the water will turn on more often until those new cats learn. Again, it's just a couple of spurts and then the unit stops. It does not continue to water the lawn for hours at a time.
Posted by: mrmahann
Date: April 24, 2008 02:42PM
i used to put small mousetraps upside down in the planters.

be well,
todd

--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--
mbp/1gen 10.5.2/1.83G/dvd/160G
openSuSE 10.3 and w2k on VMware
bronze lombard 400 10.3.9/400MHz/384M/6G
Posted by: olnacl
Date: April 24, 2008 08:37PM
norse
It's not watering. It's just a couple of spurts/sprays. After they've been sprayed a couple of times they don't come near the area. Then the unit does not turn on again until it detects motion. Now if you have lots of feral cats roaming in and out of the area then the water will turn on more often until those new cats learn. Again, it's just a couple of spurts and then the unit stops. It does not continue to water the lawn for hours at a time.

I was just kidding - except the part about keeping cats indoors. Guess I should have used a smiley.

Posted by: wowzer
Date: April 25, 2008 12:41PM
I put some vinegar around the outside of the areas that I want the cats out of. It seems to work for dogs as well. A little sprinkle of vinegar seems to keep the animals away for a few months.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login