Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.57 ( +0.04 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Air conditioner (heat pump) outside fan won't come on
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 26, 2008 08:42PM
It's a Lennox 3.5 ton heat pump with inside and outside units. It's only about 4 years old.I used it about a week ago and it worked fine. I turned on the AC today and the outside fan doesn't come on. I tried it several times using the thermostat and just turning it on.

There is a switch box by the outside fan. Is there anything in there the flip?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Air conditioner (heat pump) outside fan won't come on
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 26, 2008 08:46PM
if I were you, I would call a pro, you don't want to mess something in there...

it could be a simple thing, such as a fuse or circuit breaker, or a more serious thing, such as a bad motor. Since you asked, I would assume you don't have the necessary skills/knowledge/expertise to troubleshoot this by yourself, therefore I would again suggest to call a pro.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 26, 2008 08:46PM
>
> There is a switch box by the outside fan. Is there anything in there the flip?
>

That's the service disconnect and it may or may not have a breaker - sometimes it's just the disconnect.

The breaker is most likely at the main circuit breaker box. Take a look and see if something is tripped.

Posted by: Blurb
Date: April 26, 2008 08:57PM
Do the coils on the outside unit look iced over?? If so, leave the unit OFF for several hours until the frozen up areas thaw and then try to cycle it on again.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 26, 2008 09:00PM
Mine has does this on an occasion and by turning the breaker off and back on seems to
reset something in mine, you might try that. It's surely not going to hurt anything by just
killing the power to it and then throwing the breaker back to on. I would set my thermostat to
off before doing it. If that does nothing it could be lots of things like space said, also it could
be a main capacitor in the outside unit, not normally a user replaceable part.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 26, 2008 09:20PM
Buy a new capacitor. Order it online. This is what it looks like. This link is the first one I found. This is found in the unit outside and it kickstarts the fan.

[ssl.perfora.net]

You will bleed more changing a fuse in your car. Just pull the jumper out of the grey junction box that the power comes out of that is mounted to your house. It has grey flexible hose that has wires in it that power the A/C compressor unit. Whit the power now off take 6 to 8 screws out of the panel and find the cap. Take long screwdriver to terminals of cap and ground if it makes ya feel better. Your first trip is to find out the value of the cap. there may be a schematic on the pannel you take of with the value on it too. 25/3 @ 375 volts is a common size. Mine is 35/5 @ 375 but it is an older unit.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 09:31PM by Bernie.
Date: April 26, 2008 09:24PM
I'm going to trip anything I see that looks like a breaker tomorrow. The repairman has already been called to fix the kitchen stove I wrote about a few months ago. (You can do a lot with a 2-burner hot plate)
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: April 26, 2008 09:29PM
Just a note about capacitors, they store potentially high voltages. You'll want to make sure the one in the unit is fully discharged with a meter reading before you go stickin' yer fingers in there or you'll find out why. New cap is totally safe to handle. YMMV ....

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: April 26, 2008 09:34PM
Last summer a friends central AC wouldn't work, the outside unit came on but not the fan. I had my friend turn the AC on while I was outside by the unit and used a device (in my case a table knife) to give the fan a spin (gotta figure out the correct direction to go) it stated right up and cooled fine until it tried to start up on the next cycle. It was a bad starter capacitor for the fan motor, mounted with the controls wiring under the access panel. The starter capacitor was bloated and had leaked out oil/goo so I knew I was on the right track. It was a less than hour job not counting the parts run to a heat and air shop.

I think the cap was $30.00. If my friend had called ACME AC it would have been a $200+ house call I'm guessing. Then again I knew what I was doing (OK kinda sorta) and my friend was a yellow page type.
Posted by: dad@home
Date: April 26, 2008 09:39PM
Had similar symptoms with my Carrier unit. Neither the fan nor the compressor would turn on. Was low on refrigerant and the interlocks wouldn't let either run without it.

I would call a professional before you start replacing parts.

Dad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 09:46PM by dad@home.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 27, 2008 03:39PM
OTOH, I had the vibration of the outside unit physically cut the wiring (obviously, not the best installation)

Any good sites on HVAC?

I'm looking at replacing a nearly 20 year old York 2.5-ton split central A/C.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: April 27, 2008 06:49PM
This one has been very helpful: [hvac-talk.com]
Date: April 27, 2008 07:30PM
It came on today. Does that sound like a bad capacitor - works sometimes and doesn't work other times?
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: April 27, 2008 07:41PM
Check the T stat wires. Open the access panel and see if the two small low voltage wires are secure.

Good Luck
Date: April 27, 2008 10:40PM
Thanks, everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login