advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Samsung Laser Printers ? Anyone use one ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 15, 2008 11:28AM
I saw a cheapo Samsung Laser Printer (B&W for proofing only grinning smiley) at my local Circuit City when I was trying to find that $17 80G hard drive (none available anywhere in my area, alas). Has anyone used a Samsung printer for their OSX environment ? $49 was a pretty good price. I may stop by on my way home from work today and get it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Samsung Laser Printers ? Anyone use one ?
Posted by: dbow
Date: May 15, 2008 11:34AM
What model was it? I am in the market.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 15, 2008 11:36AM
I recently did some research on inexpensive laser printers (before Carnos Jax dropped that sweet HP deal in my lap); I came away with the impression Samsung's offerings in that market are to be avoided. Much better to go with a Brother or HP, IMHO.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 15, 2008 11:56AM
About 5 years ago, I bought a Samsung Laser printer, I don't recall the model, for here at work.

First, the packaging said "Mac Compatible".
However, it did not include, nor did the manual state, that it needed an extra PostScript SIMM to actually BE Mac Compatible... An extra $150 on a $500 (at that time) printer.

The Mac drivers (which were not included with the printer, or the PS SIMM, but had to be requested by PHONE from Samsung, and mailed on a CD, rather than downloaded), SUCKED.

We kept getting odd "PostScript error" pages when printing anything the least complicated.
Their support sucked.... their answer to our "Mac problems" was basically 'well, bummer...'.

That printer went out as an expensive lesson learned, and as E-Waste.

I will not be purchasing another Samsung Laser Printer for many years.... if at all.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 15, 2008 12:06PM
Had a ML-2010 which worked great, currently using a ML-2510 which is basically the same, but holds more paper. It's a workhorse in printing manuals,documents, and other noncritical things. It is hooked up in a shared network with four computers, no problems with set up or software. Price is usually about $50 with rebates or not.
Posted by: jesse
Date: May 15, 2008 12:10PM
I have this Samsung color laser printer and really like it, it's over a year old and I haven't had to replace any cartridges yet.

[www.samsung.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 12:11PM by jesse.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: May 15, 2008 12:20PM
I had an ML1210 that I paid $50 for a few years ago. When the toner got light, I gave it to friends who used it another year or so. Now we're both using Brother Laser printers.
Getting drivers for the Samsung, each time there was an OS upgrade on Mac, was painful.

Posted by: karsen
Date: May 15, 2008 02:11PM
jesse
I have this Samsung color laser printer and really like it, it's over a year old and I haven't had to replace any cartridges yet.

[www.samsung.com]

I have the same printer and have had no issue what so ever with it. Good little printer.
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 15, 2008 06:14PM
I currently have the same Samsung CLP-300 color laser printer and it's fine.

I had a small Samsung B&W laser printer and it was great for 2 years until I got a Brother multifunction printer.

The story may have been quite different five years ago, but these days Samsung lasers are supported much better by CUPS (included in OS X) than the proprietary drivers Samsung used to publish.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 15, 2008 07:45PM
I have the CLP-300 too...coming up on a year of heavy home use and it's been just fine.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Lee3
Date: May 15, 2008 11:50PM
I have the ml1210 and have been using for years. Still works under Tiger. Don't know about Leopard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018