advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: DIY hair cut, what tools do you use?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2008 09:11PM
for those that cut your own hair or have someone else in the family cut it for you (or vice versa, you cut their hair). Can you recommend some cutters please, or what are they called? those electric machines where you change the blades, I think they're called trimmers?

My toddler son refuses to got o the hair dresser, and so far we cut his hair at home with scissors, but I'd like something a little more professional. Also I'll have my wife cut my own hair once we're at it. So can you recommend a nice hair cutting set, probably around 4100 or so? I don't need cordless, in fact I prefer corded.

thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: DIY hair cut, what tools do you use?
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: May 16, 2008 09:13PM
I really want a flobee. Just afraid to do it. There's still stuff like that on eBay. Maybe a hot air popcorn popper while I'm at it.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: May 16, 2008 09:39PM
[www.wahl-store.com]

and the outlet store...

[wahl.factoryoutletstore.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: May 16, 2008 10:20PM
I've been through a couple of clipper sets in the past 10 years or so, and I'm getting ready to buy another. I've just been using the $25 sets that you can get anywhere, and while they work ok, they're always getting bogged down in my thick head of hair. Not to mention wearing out after a couple of years.

So...I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a professional model. I found an Oster on Amazon for just over $100 that looks exactly like the one my barber had when I was there (oh, about 15 years ago). I figure it's a very small price to pay for something that should last me at least another 10 years. I figure I save at least $120/year by cutting my own hair, plus it's more convenient for me, and I can do it whenever I want.

Of course, my ideal haircut is very short and I don't care too much about a particular style, so this really is ideal for me.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: May 16, 2008 10:24PM
A basic full-sized clipper with attachments is all you need. They're sold at any Walgreen's.
For your kid you'll just put the #1 attachment on and go over a bunch of times.
$20 to $25 range.
[www.target.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 16, 2008 10:30PM
i've been cutting my son's hair for years with a Wahl set i picked up at Walmart.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: May 16, 2008 10:41PM
My dad cut my hair when I was a kid & I HATED IT!
A couple of times I used birthday money to go to the
barber shop to a get a real haircut from a professional.

Posted by: artie67
Date: May 16, 2008 10:43PM
I was going to suggest an Audis Model M, you know the clipper my dad used on my brother and I. I looked on the top and it actually gives patent dates-2-20-23 and the most current 1-20-59. Made in Racine Wisc.
Just don't go cheap. Check the reviews and find something for budget and longevity.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 16, 2008 10:56PM
The schizz....

[www.flowbee.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 17, 2008 01:13AM
I've used the Robocut on myself for about 3 years now - yes, I cut my own hair. But my hair style is more or less combed straight back, so it's easy to cut. Barbers always seem to cut my hair too short or too long - now I can control it exactly the way I want.

What's nice is that all the hair goes immediately into our vacuum cleaner - no mess at all.......

[www.haircut.com]

LyleH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 01:14AM by LyleH.
Posted by: simonm
Date: May 17, 2008 04:26AM
Had a cheapo hair trimmer set for a while (years abd years really) but it was very noisey. When it gave up the ghost we got a Phillips branded one (I'm in Europe) - probably equivalent to your
$20-$30 types which can be used plugged in or battery powered. It is way quieter than the first one we had.

Don't under-estimate the effect of noise from these things. You don"t really want to be goiing round a kids ears over and over again with somethng as noisey as HD motorbike! Unfortunately here at least they don't say anything about noise on the packet.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 17, 2008 04:29AM

Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: May 17, 2008 06:38AM
Make it quick and easy; gives the kids less time to get panicked. Plus it even gets gum out of tangled, matted hair.

Posted by: billb
Date: May 17, 2008 07:11AM
Have you taken him with you when you've had yours cut ?

Don't forget to have your wife tell the kid about the older brothers he used to have before you started giving hair cuts.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 17, 2008 08:42AM
Robocut Automatic
[www.haircut.com]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: May 17, 2008 10:57AM
billb
Have you taken him with you when you've had yours cut ?

Don't forget to have your wife tell the kid about the older brothers he used to have before you started giving hair cuts.

I had a "kid-friendly" barber when little (4 or 5?) that scared the crap out of me.
He would do things like kick a door behind his cutting station, and pretend there was a giant dog trying to get out. Bizarre.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 17, 2008 12:40PM
I do it all the time (well, actually, about every month or so). Just scissors and a comb...
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 17, 2008 07:15PM
Maybe I'm a klutz, but I can't imagine how anyone could cut their own hair. Do you use a mirror or do it by feel?
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 17, 2008 09:30PM
Ammo
Maybe I'm a klutz, but I can't imagine how anyone could cut their own hair. Do you use a mirror or do it by feel?

Our bathroom has a full-length mirror on the swinging door that I use to get a reflection from the mirror over the sinks so I can see the back of my head a little better. The shortest the RoboCut will cut is about 1/4 inch or a little less, so I can use that over the lower part of my head. I then use the tapered tool to taper the sides in length. Then I use the flat tool to cut the top all at about the same length. Sounds like a three-tiered cut, but you can blend the cuts very easily with the taper tool.

Because the RoboCut does not trim very short on the sides, I don't look like I have just had a haircut. In fact, my wife never notices when I have cut my hair.

Also, because the RoboCut only cuts to within 1/4 inch, it's nearly impossible to scalp yourself in one area, which would be nearly impossible to replicate with a regular clippers. And by using the tubular restrictor tools you also can't gouge out (shorten too much) an area by mistake.

I sometimes use the clipper part of my norelco razor to trim the hair a little shorter around my ears, kind of how a barber does with his razor.

Frankly, my kids are grown, but I think it would be a great money-saver to use on kids. And the hair goes into the vacuum cleaner, no pulling of the hair or bloody gouges !!! like there can be with a clippers.

This also works on cats and dogs, etc.

LyleH
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2008 11:29PM
Didn't Wayne and Garth use the SuckCut?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 18, 2008 11:30PM
I use a Robocut. Its results are about like a real barber's - 1/3 od the time it's good, 1/3 it's OK and 1/3 it sucks.
Posted by: geon
Date: May 19, 2008 12:53AM
I've been cutting my hair for at least 20 years, just electric clippers and scissors. I use a mirror and usually done in about 13 minutes. I usually ask my wife to make sure the back is even.

My hair is starting to get thin on top, so I'll may be one of the bald guys soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018