Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need help flattening a PDF document, please
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 24, 2008 12:47PM
I've got my manuscript converted to PDF (converted to Postscript and then ran it through Distiller) and am ready to upload to the publisher, but they say to flatten it first. I Googled for instructions about how to do that, but I can't get anything to happen. Here's a link to the page I was working from:

[www.planetpdf.com]

I did check the JavaScript Preferences and made sure JS was enabled. Then I closed Acrobat, reopened it, and tried again. Nothing. Nada. I'd really appreciate some help! Thank you. (I figure I'm doing something wrong that's very simple, except I have missed it.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need help flattening a PDF document, please
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 24, 2008 03:18PM
I'm going to guess that this is a Windows thing. I've converted and sent many long PDFs to publishers and have never been asked to flatten them first. PDS's are flattened.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMYosemite 10.10.x Dual 24" ViewSonic LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: May 24, 2008 03:55PM
did they reject your pdf because it needs flatting or is it just in the specs.
If you went from PS and its a 1.3 PDF you should have no native features in your PDF that need to be flattened. If its a 1.4 PDF and above, and you exported from say ID, you might contain layers and or transparencies
Date: May 24, 2008 04:29PM
rtwdwk
did they reject your pdf because it needs flatting or is it just in the specs.
If you went from PS and its a 1.3 PDF you should have no native features in your PDF that need to be flattened. If its a 1.4 PDF and above, and you exported from say ID, you might contain layers and or transparencies

I'm just following the specs. It started out as a Word doc of about 150 pages, mostly text but there are also about 40 images scattered throughout. All of the images used within it are (now) max quality JPEGs. I understand they would take it as a Word document and do the conversion to PDF for me, but I was also warned that formatting might come out different. Heck, getting Word to stand still is what took me the longest!

In doing more reading, I see it's also possible to send them a postscript file. If I understand this correctly, once my document was converted to postscript, a PDF produced by them is much more likely to come out the way I intend. Is that correct?

However, I also get very annoyed when something that's supposed to work doesn't so would still like to know what I'm missing in trying to flatten the PDF I've created! smiling smiley
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: May 24, 2008 06:40PM
Under advanced look for print production, if you need to flatten for transparency you will find that there. If you went to PS you dont have anything to wory about PS files does not support native transparency. I doubt very much you have a layer situation either, but layers would show up in one of the side bars. you can merge the layers from that window.
Date: May 24, 2008 08:18PM
rtwdwk
Under advanced look for print production, if you need to flatten for transparency you will find that there. If you went to PS you dont have anything to wory about PS files does not support native transparency. I doubt very much you have a layer situation either, but layers would show up in one of the side bars. you can merge the layers from that window.

This is really dumb. You're right; there are no layers or transparencies in the book at all. I flattened all of the image files before inserting them.

Here's what the site says, and the part I'm having trouble with is the last on the list.

f you are uploading your own PDF, follow these guidelines.

For paperbacks

Settings for exporting to PDF or creating from Distiller:

* Fully embed all fonts used in the document. Take care that all fonts are only embedded once. Subsetted fonts over multiple pages can cause problems when your PDF is rasterized for print. Your document may be printed with symbols instead of fonts, garbled text or missing text.
* Set compatibility mode to Acrobat 4(Acrobat 4 did not support transparencies and will flatten them when creating the PDF).
* Leave the PDF's colorspace in its original profile. Do not convert CMYK to RGB or vice versa.
* Turn off Overprint and Simulate Overprint
* The PDF filesize should not exceed 700MB
* Do not downsample your images unless they are fully rasterized. If they are fully rasterized and the DPI is greater than 300, downsample to 300 DPI.
* Flatten your final PDF to a single layer.

Everything else on that list I've done according to their specifications, but I can't "flatten (my) final PDF to a single layer"!

It really is going to frost me if I wind up having to pay them to take my postscript file and covert it to a PDF!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 24, 2008 08:32PM
Don't worry about it. I don't think you have any layers, and they'll let you know if a problem arises.

I'll refrain from commenting on the wisdom of doing a book--with photographs, yet--in Microsoft Word.
Date: May 24, 2008 08:38PM
Mr Downtown
I'll refrain from commenting on the wisdom of doing a book--with photographs, yet--in Microsoft Word.

I've already given myself that lecture. smiling smiley Although it wasn't as bad as I thought. Most of the images in there are very old black and white photos of long dead people plus a few old documents that were scanned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014