Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.75 ( -6.95 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is USPS Media Mail really slow?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 26, 2008 02:49PM
I'm ordering a book, and media mail is by far the cheapest option. There are other choices by UPS, but the prices are really steep - starting with UPS ground at $10.08 for a $7.50 book!

However, if I choose Media Mail, will I be waiting for weeks or months before it gets to me? I'm not in a huge hurry but sometime before I die would be nice. Any guesses? And, no, I don't even know where it's shipping from, but let's assume from the right coast to the left. smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is USPS Media Mail really slow?
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 26, 2008 02:55PM
you could expect 3 to 4 weeks by my experience.
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: May 26, 2008 02:56PM
Yes, you do get what you pay for. Media Mail can be extremely slow...low priority.
Date: May 26, 2008 02:58PM
OK, OK, I'll spring for the more expensive option. sad smiley It really frosts me to pay more for the shipping than I pay for the item! Thank you.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: May 26, 2008 03:03PM
3 weeks to never.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 26, 2008 03:08PM
That hasn't been my experience. I haven't found media mail to be notably slower than regular mail for single items. If you had a very heavy shipment, say several books, it might be a different story, but for one book I'd be surprised if it takes more than a week.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: May 26, 2008 03:15PM
I have bought several books shipped by media mail, and have never had it take longer than 10 days for delivery.
I recently had a book delivered in 3 days, coast to coast. Couldn't believe that it arrived that quickly.
Date: May 26, 2008 03:17PM
Shoot. I knew I should have waited for more answers before hitting the final button. Oh well. If this one is any good I'll be ordering more, so this wasn't a wasted question.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 26, 2008 03:28PM
I order books, videos and CDs used on Half.com One of the reasons is that they have the media mail option. From postmark date to me is usually a week. It is space available, but if it isn't Xmas, it is usually reasonably speedy within the 48 states.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: May 26, 2008 03:32PM
Black Landlord
3 weeks to never.

Personal experience. My only eBay purchases that never showed up (a few books) were sent media mail. Other times I gave up on media mail items and they showed up in about 6 weeks. Certainly took shorter plenty of times (occasionally only a few days) but I avoid it now.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 26, 2008 03:49PM
Parcel Post is usually slower than media mail for me.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: May 26, 2008 04:39PM
I've found media mail going from midwest to southeast u.s. was just under a week. I shipped myself some books last year from MN to AK and it took about 3 weeks...they actually go on a boat for that journey, and they have to sit around in Tacoma or somewhere waiting for said boat.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 26, 2008 04:43PM
Back in about 1990, I belonged to a book club that used Media Mail to send the books. Once, it took 6 weeks for a book to go from Princeton, NJ to Philadelphia, PA... a distance of about 30 miles.
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 26, 2008 05:03PM
3 days, NC to CO was my most recent experience. Single book.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 26, 2008 05:23PM
I have sent and received several pakages by Media Mail. I think only one was very slow. I think they might inspect a certain percent to see if they are really media mail. That's the gist I got from my PO worker.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 26, 2008 05:51PM
i usually get media mail within 10 days. a few times, items i've shipped that way have taken almost a month. it really depends on the whims of each post office along the way.
Posted by: StarGlazer
Date: May 26, 2008 11:17PM
My experience - almost always less than a week, rarely 2.5 to 3 weeks.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 27, 2008 08:41AM
In my experience, not much slower than first class.

VTPKL it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login