advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good eateries in Galveston?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 28, 2008 01:39PM
Next month we're renting some cabins along the coast near Galveston for a week for a family reunion. Any suggestions for places to eat? TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2008 01:39PM by lost in space.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good eateries in Galveston?
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: May 28, 2008 07:28PM
Haven't been there in years, but Gaido's was one of the really popular places for seafood. It's right on the sea wall. Do a Google search on Gaido & Galveston to get the address.

If you have time, ride the Bolivar Ferry to Bolivar and back, but walk on rather than taking your car. Watch for the porpoises that like to play alongside the ferry. If you like WWII aircraft visit the Collings Foundation's Lone Star Air Museum. And while you're there visit the nearby Moody Gardens.

While in Galveston watch your back. Through the years it's been a dangerous place with lots of muggings.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: May 28, 2008 10:35PM
I was recently in Galveston for a week and can recommend three restaurants at varying price points.

• Landry's: a bit on the pricey side, but excellent food and great service. On the seawall.
• Clary's: entirely out of the way and kind of hard to find. But awesome food, family-run, very "non-chain" look & feel. Finish with home made pecan pie and Bluebell ice cream for dessert. Holy crap. Worth the effort of getting there.
• The Spot: very casual on the seawall. You have walk up to an ordering station and then pick up your food, kind of like a modified cafeteria. However, incredible value. If you walk a few steps over to the bar and get your own alcohol you'll be rewarded with $2.00 Blue Moons. Bar can be loud but restaurant is fine for conversation...at least during lunch. Don't know about dinner.

All three have their own free parking lots.

BTW, Gaido's also has good food. The only reason I didn't recommend it is that the service was friendly but strangely inept both times we went there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2008 10:36PM by prymsnap.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: May 29, 2008 08:03AM
Some other suggestions:
Shrimp and Stuff - informal eatery on 38th (I think) just about everything is fried--good food in formica. Nice deck with fans.
Queens--BBQ fav of the locals. Not a lot of tables.
Clary's --more votes for clary's, but I think they recommend a jacket at night. Good food, good restaurant.
Marios Italian Restaurant (6th and Seawall) for your italizn fix, some good seafood dishes and pizzas.
Phoenix bakery--great for pastries, including Beingets, breakfast. (around the strand area)
Gaidos--a big restaurant, fancy interior no reservations. Lots of crowds, etc. may lead to inconsistent service--hear that from a several people, but when it is good, its great.
Casey's --a casual restaurant right beside Gaido's --looks like they use the same kitchen.
Landry's is good, big portions.
Willie G's--bought by landrys, but has a lot of fans.
Fishtails--former boss really liked it and a great place to relax on the patio/deck.

I also sggest seeing the USS Cavalla at Seawolf Park if that is your bag. They even have a web cam and have reworked the ship. The DE Ward is also there. You see them on the ferry ride.

www.cavalla.org/

Of course, YMMV, enjoy your trip and let us know what you found that was great.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 29, 2008 11:03AM
Wow. Great stuff! Thanks very much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018