advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.11 ( -0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: How to clean really really really dirty carpet?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 24, 2006 10:37PM
I used a Hoover Steam Vac (the "steam" part is a joke) and it helps in general, but there is an area in front of the couch where dirty shoes have really done a number.

I hand scrubbed with OxiClean and Greased Lightning, but it doesn't do much.

Any suggestions short of professional cleaning?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: How to clean really really really dirty carpet?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 24, 2006 10:44PM
Rug Doctor units are truly quite excellent. If I could find one somewhere for sale, I'd buy it. If I had a fake driver's license... I'd already own one for $20!

grinning smiley

I have used a very heavy concentration of ammonia on bad areas. A normal load of their detergent, but lotsa ammonia. Perhaps 2 cups or more for the 2 gallon load. I have a cleaning chemicals obsession, and I make a lot of home brews with various things.

I use basic stuff that is available for surfactant action, and go for the ammonia for pure killing power to break up just about anything except the carpet itself.

Surfactants do NOT need to foam to be effective. That's a human need being addressed.

Consider some of the citrus cleaners, etc., as well. There is a mix there that with good ventilation and a few fans, you can get some really good work done.

Move about 1 inch every 5 seconds with the Rug Doctor, and you'll get more water out of the carpet. Takes a long time, but that first pass will be worth it.

For the deals you can get for carpet cleaning, you'll still have to do the grunt work, then you can always get a $50 two room special and have them do a final. The truck mounted suction that is powered by the engine is pretty hard to compete against.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 10:47PM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: Webster J. Duck
Date: February 25, 2006 01:15AM
Forensics can still pick up blood traces no matter how deep you clean.
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 25, 2006 05:48AM
It's probably time o replace the carpet. Short of that, if you can't clean it well enough, buy a throw rug to put in front of the couch.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: February 25, 2006 08:47AM
Move the couch. smiling smiley Seriously, you'll never get that area looking like the rest of the carpet again, because you're seeing excessive wear, too.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 25, 2006 11:42AM
AlphaDog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Move the couch. Seriously, you'll never get
> that area looking like the rest of the carpet
> again, because you're seeing excessive wear, too.

Yup, If the stain doesnt come out (even after getting it cleaned professionally) you probably need to replace it.

I need to do in my family room.
Tile maybe? I am considering it. Also get a throw rug for that area after it gets cleaned/replaced.

Have you considered having your family and guest remove their shoes when they enter your house?

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2006 11:43AM by Carm.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 25, 2006 12:06PM
You could also cut out a six foot square piece of the carpet and turn it around 180º, so that the worn section is under the couch.

A good carpet guy could do it in under an hour, if you don't know how to pull it up and seam it.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 25, 2006 12:34PM
"Have you considered having your family and guest remove their shoes when they enter your house?"

I'd rather be known for having a dirty carpet than known for asking people to remove their shoes.

I'm wanting to do the whole room in 3/4 x 6" real oak planks, but not for awhile.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 25, 2006 06:35PM
We wound up putting a nice looking braided rug under the coffee table and in front of the couch because the carpet was taking a beating there. Downside is that Martha Stewart may not approve.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 25, 2006 07:26PM
A dirty patch in front of the couch would seem to me to be more indicative of dropped food ground in by clean shoes/ kids knees than by dirty shoes.

If that patch were at the room's main entrance ...
A tile throw rug.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 25, 2006 08:13PM
You don't see many of those.

But I like the shoes off thing. I don't find it a problem at all.

Get a bench, inside, near the front door. All the family can keep there shoes there, and a second pair in the garage.

When guests come in, don't ask them to take their shoes off. They'll see the bench and shoes, and figure it out for themselves. If than balk even for a second, tell 'em "Don't worry about it."

Some will understand and automatically comply. Others may have holes in there less than fresh socks. They can keep their hat on.

No pressure.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 25, 2006 08:47PM
I've used a stiff brush in addition to a spot cleaner, and it helped quite a bit. kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login