advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Google knows your location?
Posted by: gabester
Date: June 19, 2008 01:16PM
OK, I need some helpful forum members who are geographically distributed to assist me with a curiosity I have. I just searched for "pizza" on google and two results from the first page were for Chicago pizza places' websites. I happen to be in Chicago, but I also know Chicago pizza is the best. Still, seeing Giordano's and Lou Malnati's makes me wonder if Google is tailoring the results to my network.

Is your second result Giordano's? The last result on my page is Lou's... is this everyone else's experience?
g=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Google knows your location?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 19, 2008 01:25PM
>>but I also know Chicago pizza is the best

You probably think the Bears are also the best, but as a Packer fan, I beg to differ.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 19, 2008 01:27PM
Actually Matthew's pizza is the best but it doesn't appear on my google search. Giordano's is fifth. First is Domino's, then Pizza Hut, then Papa John's then a wikipedia entry on pizza, then Giordano's.

I am in Baltimore. hth
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 19, 2008 01:28PM
I'm in the UK and most searches do seem to start off within the UK however putting in 'pizza' gave me ten hits, the first nine of which were in Italy and the last in France.

I know that according to a survey years ago it came as a surprise to something like 70% of US citizens that pizza came from Italy. I believe the percentage is less now. ;)

Edit:

Addition:

I thought you meant Google Earth so those Italian pizza places came from a search there. Putting 'pizza' into Google Search gave me Pizza Hut, Domino's, Wikipedia and then Papa John's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2008 01:31PM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 19, 2008 01:29PM
It is based on the IP you are using. The ISP has an IP address that is local.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 19, 2008 01:41PM
Ken Sp.
It is based on the IP you are using. The ISP has an IP address that is local.

Makes sense to me.
Same results as Gutie. Also Baltimore.

Posted by: JPK
Date: June 19, 2008 01:49PM
Google knew you were going to ask that question.

Google knows all.

JPK
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 19, 2008 02:14PM
Southeastern Va here

Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Wikipedia
News
Giordano's
Domino's
pizza,com
Little Cesear's
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 19, 2008 02:18PM
I get pizza hut and pappa johns and other junk here in the east. I do love chicago pizza though. Is Bacino's still there in lincoln park? I loved that, and giordanos and edwardo's. Yum.

voodoopenguin
I know that according to a survey years ago it came as a surprise to something like 70% of US citizens that pizza came from Italy. I believe the percentage is less now. ;)

I think the history and origin of pizza is more complicated that that, and that there are good arguments pizza, as known and popularized today, did arise in the Italian neighborhoods of Chicago and NY. Yes it was based on what had been made in Italy, but american style pizza, with sauce and cheese and toppings, is really an american creation.

My step italian grandmother (how many people can say that) grew up on Taylor street in Chicago. Her father was a baker. He would walk up and down the street at lunch with a basket on his head, calling out Pizza, Pizza for Sale, and sell slices to the workers. This was circa 1920, so that puts that at the very beginings of pizza in this country.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 19, 2008 02:27PM
Not sure why I am posting this history of pizza here in this thread that no one will read, but here goes:

My italian grandfather, who grew up in Italy, described pizza as made in the country (and not the fancy stuff that may have been served in restaurants) this way:

Villages had a communal, wood fired oven. When they would fire it up each week to bake the bread, in order to test the temperature of the oven before baking the bread, the women would put a scrap of dough in the oven to bake. The kids would all gather around to eat the scraps as they were baked and tested. In order to make the scraps more of a treat for the kids, the women would spread some oil, some cheese, and a topping like olives, if they had them, on top of the scrape before baking. They called that pizza.

it does sound delicious actually.
Date: June 19, 2008 02:27PM
I did another search from my customized google homepage with similar results but it also mapped out the several closest pizzerias from the last location I specified in Google Maps.

So it looks like they do indeed produce search results based upon your IP address and pertinent localization information if it is available in the browser in some way. My first search was done by simply entering "pizza" into the Safari google text box.

g=
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 19, 2008 02:29PM
michaelb

I think the history and origin of pizza is more complicated that that, and that there are good arguments pizza, as known and popularized today, did arise in the Italian neighborhoods of Chicago and NY. .......... This was circa 1920, so that puts that at the very beginings of pizza in this country.

Quote:

The innovation which gave us the particular flat bread we call “pizza” was the use of tomato as a topping. For some time after the tomato was brought to Europe from the Americas in the 16th century, it was believed by many Europeans to be poisonous (as are some other fruits of the nightshade family). However, by the late 18th century it was common for the poor of the area around Naples to add tomato to their yeast-based flat bread, and so the pizza was born. The dish gained in popularity, and soon Pizza became a tourist attraction as visitors to Naples ventured into the poorer areas of the city in order to try the local specialty.

Posted by: billb
Date: June 19, 2008 02:44PM
There are plenty of server IP adress locators that will home into your closest access point.
[www.find-ip-address.org]

You used to be able to traceroute from with OS X and find the closest one, too.
Date: June 19, 2008 02:59PM
Billb,

I know all about traceroute and being able to locate someone in their approximate geography based on the originating IP of the request (or at least the location of the device originating the request - the user could well be remoted into the system from the other side of the globe via VPN or even just screen sharing.)

I was just surprised to discover that google (which I've always though would be "searcher agnostic") does in fact tailor information to searcher as much as possible. To do otherwise risks slipping down that slippery slope of doing evil, but I suppose it's evident that they are really just another for-profit corporation.

g=
Posted by: Dakota
Date: June 19, 2008 03:00PM
Ever wonder how you see offers of meeting hotties practically in your backyard?
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 19, 2008 05:24PM
Pam
Southeastern Va here

Pizza Hut
Papa John's
Wikipedia
News
Giordano's
Domino's
pizza,com
Little Cesear's

I got the same list on Long Island, NY, except Giordano's was after pizza.com.

I also have a local results box at the top, in which I can put a zip code.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 19, 2008 07:03PM
In the San Fernando Valley where it was 112 degrees today and "voodoo's"wonderful English garden would be toast ,it is Pizza Hut and Papa John's. No local recommendations are listed.
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 19, 2008 08:27PM
From Montclair NJ I also get the "Looking for local results for pizza?" search box, followed by this list:

pizzahut.com
papajohns.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza
News results for pizza:
.....Tomatoes return to menu at Taco Bell, Pizza Hut [Detroit Free Press]
.....California Pizza Kitchen Opens in Chino Hills, California [FOXBusiness]
dominos.com
pizza.com
giordanos.com
littlecaesars.com
roundtablepizza.com
aclu.org

Say what? ACLU? Check out the actual link, which is surprisingly relevant to the paranoid subtext of this thread:

[www.aclu.org]

OMG Google is reading our minds!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2008 08:33PM by Janit.
Date: June 19, 2008 11:05PM
Yeah, that's awesome - it comes full circle from me wondering "what happens if I google pizza?" and being surprised to see local pizzerias - to the ACLU discussing a "total information awareness" style type of monitored consumer experience.
g=
For the record, my pizza google results first page listed as:
(domino's - excluded as it is a placed ad at the top)
pizzahut.com
giordanos.com
papajohns.com
news result about the tomatoes salmonella scare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pizza
dominos.com
pizza.com
littleceasars.com
www.aclu.org/pizza
roundtablepizza.com
loumalnatis.com
Both Lou's and Giordanos are based in Chicago - as am I. Thank all of you for giving this some perspective!
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: June 19, 2008 11:53PM
Hits were not Chicago specific but sidebar was.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018