advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just had an interesting automated chat (I think it was automated, anyway)
Posted by: Tofer
Date: June 23, 2008 03:12PM
My radiator in my Miata is leaking, and I need a new one. I looked up radiators online, and ended up at Radiator.com (go figure), where I had the following "chat" with Chuck, a representative. His responses were lightning fast, and seemed canned. Now, he could have been pressing the canned-response button for my answers, but I still think it was all AI. What do you think? (The chat starts at the bottom):

Chuck : [Chuck has left the chat]
You : thanks!
Chuck : Thank you. We'll always be here whether you need a radiator or just free advice. You can call us if you prefer at 800-598-5504. Bye!
You : Chris
Chuck : No problem-- We've been here 20 years, and aren't satisfied till you are. If you'd like, I can put a note in our system, so if you decide to make us your last call, we'll know to beat any price you find. What's your first name?
You : don't worry about it; thanks!
Chuck : I could sell this to you but the '99 Miata was a little tricky. Your best bet is speaking to Hank, our lead Mazda technician (or one of his techs), - he usually figures out the right radiator the first time. He's on the phone now but I can have him call you back in a minute - what's your phone number and the area code?
Chuck : There are a couple of different radiators, ranging in price between $99.00 and $299.00. All run about 1/3 what the dealer charges. Hold on --
Chuck : Good. We deliver into Brookline every day, so we can get that part out to you as soon as you need it. Let me pull up the price here--
You : 02445, a few weeks
Chuck : Your price is coming. Looks like that '99 is a really complicated fit. I'll just quote you the most likely 1 of the 3 possible parts -- Or you're welcome to talk to one of our Mazda techs to be 100% sure. What's your Zip Code and how soon would you need it?
You : just the radiator
Chuck : sure. Do you want quotes on just the radiator -- or installation too?
You : both
Chuck : OK. Would you prefer quotes on an OE certified or aftermarket radiator?
You : 1.8l
Chuck : Do you know the engine size?
You : 1999 Miata
Chuck : What model and year Mazda do you have?
Last message received: 16:08:19
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just had an interesting automated chat (I think it was automated, anyway)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 23, 2008 03:36PM
How fast was he typing ? Sounds a bit complex for a straight 'expert system' ("AI" is so 1990's). the multiple question / multiple response would be a toughie.

But you may have just seen a sales support tool pass the Turing Test.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 23, 2008 03:38PM
I wonder if Chuck has a brother named HAL. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: threeprong
Date: June 23, 2008 03:53PM
I'm betting it was a computer assisted set up. With Chuck throwing in some occasional real responses but being offered canned responses.

3p
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 23, 2008 04:01PM
100% human, no AI here

very polite and very good customer service, probably a species on the brink of extinction.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: June 23, 2008 05:04PM
Looks like cleverly written AI to me, or at least computer assisted canned responses.

I have a feeling Hank is always "on the phone".

and

They deliver into _____________ every day.

But that bit about "I could sell this to you but the '99 Miata was a little tricky. " makes me wonder.... are they all "a little tricky"?
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 23, 2008 05:19PM
Go to a local radiator shop and get a diagnosis of the leak. Could be a hose. Most radiators these days are not repairable as in the "old days" when leaks could be soldered. Remember "Barr's Stop Leak". Get a "face to face" opinion.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 23, 2008 05:31PM
artie67
Go to a local radiator shop and get a diagnosis of the leak. Could be a hose. Most radiators these days are not repairable as in the "old days" when leaks could be soldered. Remember "Barr's Stop Leak". Get a "face to face" opinion.
Please, never use Barrs unless it is an emergency!
Also, any decent sized city will have a radiator repair facility.
Most, if not all work on an exchange basis.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 23, 2008 06:10PM
I'd rather have an old radiator repaired than some of this new Chinese crap showing up. I swear the side tanks are laminated gum wrapper foil painted black.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018