advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.02 ( +1.35 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ever return something large to Costco...? (like a mattress)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 15, 2008 10:00AM
I ordered a mattress from Costco and it's not working out (sleep-wise, that is).

Beside the physical problems of transporting it to the store, are there limitations on these sorts of items?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ever return something large to Costco...? (like a mattress)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 15, 2008 10:08AM
Have you considered just calling the local store and asking? With an item that big, the only special consideration I can think of would be the fact they might not want you dragging it up to the return counter and would have a better plan for dealing with it.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 15, 2008 10:13AM
mrbigstuff-

was the mattress one of those foam-core models. i've been interested in those and was wondering what u didn't like.

be well

rob
Posted by: billb
Date: July 15, 2008 10:14AM

too many triplets ?
:-)

mattresses, underwear and shoes are three things I would assume one could not return (based solely on being things I would not buy used).
Date: July 15, 2008 10:34AM
I read the return policy and it does not restrict mattresses, but as BillB said, I would not buy a used mattress, so I'm not sure what they do with them once returned (not that it's my problem, but I do feel a twinge of guilt).
Posted by: Bubba3K
Date: July 15, 2008 10:55AM
We returned a mattress to costco. They arranged for the local St Vincent DePaul (think goodwill) to pick up the mattress, and they had us fax the donation receipt to them. Once they had proof, they credited our card.

So, yeah. They don't really want a used mattress back. Call them before you schlep the mattress to the store.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 15, 2008 10:57AM
I doubt anything like a mattress would be put back out for resale, and I seem to remember some regulations about that. Apparently they do put boxes (they think) contain mattress toppers back on the shelf, though. This is a fun read:

[consumerist.com]
Date: July 15, 2008 11:07AM
thanks, Bubba. we also have the SVdeP society around Boston.

robfilms: this was a regular mattress but with a cushioned top, not the ridiculous "pillow top" and it is too spongy, which is a shame since it completely negates the firmness of the mattress below. I really don't understand this trend. I'm happy with just a mattress.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: July 15, 2008 12:21PM
The first Novacore? mattress from Costco smellled like a chem set for about 3 weeks so we returned that and then slept on the second one for about a week and returned that because we sank more in it than the tempurpedic and it did not spring back like the tempurpedic.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2008 03:16PM
mrbigstuff
thanks, Bubba. we also have the SVdeP society around Boston.

robfilms: this was a regular mattress but with a cushioned top, not the ridiculous "pillow top" and it is too spongy, which is a shame since it completely negates the firmness of the mattress below. I really don't understand this trend. I'm happy with just a mattress.

if, for instance, you have a bad hip like I do, the foam top will cradle your pelvic girdle, and allow the foam to do the work of keeping your leg in position, rather than rely on the joint's friction. I can't sleep on a normal bed for more than maybe 2 days before I start waking up with an aching hip. The firm mattress below limits the amount of squishiness. Too squishy won't support your weight properly and cause back pain.
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: July 15, 2008 04:40PM
I've returned a matress to Costco, 2.5 years old too. I frown on people who abuse the Costco policy (this is the only thing more than $50 I've ever returned to Costco and I only return things that are unused, though they may have been opened), but the mattress had such a "dent" in the middle it was ridiculous, especially given I always sleep on the edge.

They gave me 50% of the purchase price in credit, which I thought was more than fair given the fact that I did get more than 2 years use out of it. I went in an talked directly to the manager about returning the item and they made notes in my account and told me to just bring it back to the regular return counter.

Go in and talk to the manager about how he would like to receive the return. They'll treat you right.

~A
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login