Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How long should factory tires last?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: July 16, 2008 08:23AM
My wife's 2005 TL (bought in February 2005) has about 23,000 miles and the two remaining original tires (the other two had to be replaced in 2006 after running over some nasty pothole that caused the sidewalls to start to bubble) are "balding."

That little horizontal bar that is between the treads is easily visible and almost flush with the tread surface.

So, obviously I need to replace those two tires, but I was wondering if they have somehow worn out prematurely? 23,000 miles doesn't seem like much, but I don't know a lot about this stuff.

These tires are Bridgestone Turanzas.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 08:23AM by pinkoos.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How long should factory tires last?
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: July 16, 2008 08:28AM
Not familiar with that variety. Depends if they are low end or high end.

The Firestone tires that came with my Thunderbird where shot by 25,000 and my parents Buick LeSabre's General tires were kaput at 20,000.

On the other hand, the Good Year Eagle GTs on my LSS and Intrigue lasted 55,000....

Bryan
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 16, 2008 08:37AM
Ordinarily, I'd say 30-35k is reasonable.

If your roads are well-paved and your wife doesn't go off-road and I had to guess at why those tires are so worn, I'd say that they've probably been severely underinflated. Do you regularly check the pressure?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: July 16, 2008 08:37AM
Buy 4 at tirerack.com. Great source. Even for info alone.

Never 2 for me.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: July 16, 2008 08:39AM
Generally speaking, OEM tires have a lot shorter life than the ones you can get at the store.

Once, one of the tires got punctured in the sidewall when my car just had 2000 miles on it, and I replaced it with the exact model of tire(Goodyear) from Discount Tire.

After about 30,000 miles, I had three bald tires and one in excellent condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 08:40AM by MGS_forgot_password.
Date: July 16, 2008 08:44AM
> Generally speaking, OEM tires have a lot shorter life than the ones you can get at the store.

??????

Not in my experience.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 16, 2008 08:47AM
American automaker OEM tires are short lived. In my experience. Honda, OEM tires, however, seem to go to the full 50K. Since I don't rotate, the rears on my Civic are OEM original with 80K miles on 'em and very little tread wear.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 16, 2008 08:58AM
Tires designers have various parameters that they work within. Generally it's tread life, performance, ride comfort and load bearing capacity.

Those parameter are not aligned. Tires are a compromise.

You can have exceptionally long treadware, but performance and ride comfort will generally suffer, because the rubber compound will be too hard. Much the same, high performance tires generally have short tread life because the softer rubber abrades away more quickly.

Here, a primer:

The Size
Obviously, the size is the single most important piece of info on the tire - get it wrong and it might not even fit. Size includes the width, aspect ratio and wheel diameter. These three measurements will be universal no matter what brand of tire you're looking at. There's a lot of room for experimentation and error in this realm, so tread with care. Be sure you know what happens when you change sizes before you deviate from the standard.

Speed Rating
The average driver doesn't need to be too concerned with a tire's speed rating. There aren't any tires out there that will blow at 70 mph. However, there are tires that will blow at 120 mph, so if you are planning on driving at those speeds, you better pay attention to this number.

Loads and Pressures
These ratings aren't going to be too important to you, either, but there are a few interesting points of information here. For instance, if you are comparing two tires that are the exact same size, but one of them has a higher maximum tire pressure, this tire may get slightly better gas mileage since a firmer tire offers less resistance. Your load ratings will only be important for trucks. If you are hauling some serious tonnage or pull a heavy trailer you might want to invest in a tire with higher load capacity. This will keep your rear tires from pancaking and improve stability.

Treadwear and Traction Finally, some numbers that are useful again! A higher treadwear rating means you'll be able to drive more miles before you need new tires again. And tires with higher treadwear ratings tend to offer gas mileage advantages because they are made with slightly harder rubber. which means less resistance. The downside to harder rubber is less cornering performance, so if it's important to you to be able to carve up some mountain roads don't go for the high treadwear rating, go with the higher dry traction rating instead.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 16, 2008 09:06AM
The "factory" tires on my Tacoma went 90,000 miles.
Long wearing. Good in the rain, surprisingly.
They still had lots of miles left. (if you could stand the cupping and noise) I just couldn't stand the horrible ride with them any more.

If your car came with high performance tires, mileage is not thier forte.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 16, 2008 09:06AM
cbelt3
American automaker OEM tires are short lived. In my experience. Honda, OEM tires, however, seem to go to the full 50K. Since I don't rotate, the rears on my Civic are OEM original with 80K miles on 'em and very little tread wear.

Neither American manufacturers nor Honda make tires. They buy them to their specs from tire manufacturers.

The reason that your tires wear so well on the back is that your Honda carries 65 - 70% of its weight on its front wheels, as well as doing all the accelerating, turning and 70% of the braking with the fronts. This is true of (mostly) all FWD cars. The front tires get brutalized, rear tires skate.

(Same thing for brake pads - that's why front brakes are so much larger than rears.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 09:07AM by Cary.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 16, 2008 09:08AM
My Murano has Goodyear Eagles - original - just turned 48K - still good tread.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 16, 2008 09:10AM
Could it be that OEM tires are the equivalent of starter toner?
Date: July 16, 2008 09:33AM
> The front tires get brutalized, rear tires skate.

Good point. How often have those tires been rotated and balanced? Do you cross-rotate?
Posted by: guod
Date: July 16, 2008 09:35AM
Depends on the car, the tires, and the local roads

The tires on my car were only rated for 25,000 miles (relatively sporty)

I like to think I take very good care of my tires, and I'm going to get about 45,000 from them before I replace them this fall.

I would think the TL would also have relatively sporty (read:soft) tires on them as standard, and wouldn't expect much more than 30,000

Posted by: wurm
Date: July 16, 2008 09:49AM
I have about 55k miles on my original Geolanders on my '06 Forester. Will probably need to replace them before next state inspection (next May). My wife's Tribute has about 67k on her original equipment Continentals. Still plenty of tread left, but we'll be replacing them soon just because they're noisy as hell (and always have been). We do rotate them regularly.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: July 16, 2008 10:06AM
wurm
Will probably need to replace them before next state inspection (next May).

I'm just curious... how does the state go about inspecting tires? Is it like in Illinois, when they inspect the exhaust emissions, we get a postcard in the mail. If we don't show up, they suspend our driver's license? is that how your tire system works?

Jeff
Posted by: billb
Date: July 16, 2008 10:14AM
Wow, a postcard reminder.
In Ma. we have a sticker on the windshield that reminds you all year when to get it done again.
If a sighted policeperson sees an out of date sticker they send you to Salem where they throw ya on a woodpile and tase ya.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 16, 2008 10:34AM
pinkoos, I went to Tire Rack and plugged in your wife's car, making an assumption that it has the normal 17" tires.

Tire Rack says they are Turanza EL : [www.tirerack.com]

260 treadwear rating, "OK" but not exceptional tires. Typical OEM stuff, but nevertheless decently-matched to the car afterall.

NEXT, I ran a search to filter out everything but "Ultra High Performance" and "High Performance" categories --- don't worry, it doesn't imply they are only suited for speed freaks:
[www.tirerack.com]

The big clue that says the "Ultra High Performance" and "High Performance" categories are still milder is the fact that they fall under the all-season banner.

I have no experience with any of the 16 tires shown by that search. Even if I did, I don't have a TL --- and the car plays a role here in how a given tire "performs."

But look at the wear ratings for that group, all around 360-400. That's the range I'd expect tires suitable for an Acura TL to fall in. You can maybe find tires rated higher, but I submit that's NOT your goal. Tires are supposed to wear out; there's no advantage to having tires that go 50-80,xxx miles if it means they turn your luxury sport sedan into a truck or econocar. If that's your goal you've got the wrong car.

The 16 tires in that search should go 30, maybe 40K. Enjoy what they bring to the table while they are good and don't lament that they can't last longer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 10:40AM by deckeda.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 16, 2008 10:42AM
MacMagus
> The front tires get brutalized, rear tires skate.

Good point. How often have those tires been rotated and balanced? Do you cross-rotate?

assuming the vehicle in question is front wheel drive.

My 99 Sable had the OEM tires on the front until about 80K, and about 88 K on the rears.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2008 10:43AM
Neither American manufacturers nor Honda make tires. They buy them to their specs from tire manufacturers.

OEM does not mean that the auto makers made the tires.

there's no advantage to having tires that go 50-80,xxx miles if it means they turn your luxury sport sedan into a truck or econ-car.

Or a bobsled.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 16, 2008 10:45AM
billb
Wow, a postcard reminder.
In Ma. we have a sticker on the windshield that reminds you all year when to get it done again.
If a sighted policeperson sees an out of date sticker they send you to Salem where they throw ya on a woodpile and tase ya.

And that is on a good day...

Posted by: DRR
Date: July 16, 2008 12:17PM
MacMagus
> Generally speaking, OEM tires have a lot shorter life than the ones you can get at the store.

??????

Not in my experience.

MGS's experience has been mine too. "Factory" tires on my Xterra (70/30 paved/unpaved) went about 35,000 before they were quite visibly worn, and had to be replaced. New Michelins then, and now 40,000 miles later, there's hardly any wear. I expect them to go quite a bit more before these will be replaced.
Date: July 16, 2008 12:34PM
If a manufacturer can shave $60 of each and every car/truck by using mediocre tires, they would do it in a new york minute. Heck, they'd do it for $5.
Date: July 16, 2008 12:51PM
Racer X
If a manufacturer can shave $60 of each and every car/truck by using mediocre tires, they would do it in a new york minute. Heck, they'd do it for $5.

Yeah, but if they were cutting corners like that then you'd have situations where, for example, Ford SUV's were rolling over and killing people all the time just because their trucks needed 16-inch wheels for that narrow track width and instead they used 15-inch wheels, saving around a hundred bucks and improving mpg, but putting extra wear on the sidewalls during turns and shredding those lesser quality tires from (hypothetically) Firestone.

But that could never happen. In America, we have STANDARDS.
Date: July 16, 2008 01:19PM
Right. Those standards keep us safe. God Bless those safety standards that protect us from greedy manufacturers winking smiley
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: July 16, 2008 04:35PM
Our 2007 Honda Civic came with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires. They lasted about two months before I replaced them.
These were the absolute worst tires I have ever had. Dangerous in wet conditions. Absolutly usless in snow. Bridgestone and Honda both refused to do anything about it, both stating "These are touring tires. They're not meant for wet weather."
I replaced them with Nokian WR's.
Much better.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: July 16, 2008 05:02PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda halfway considering just replacing all four tires now while I'm at it even though the two tires from 2006 are still in good shape.

I try to check the pressure regularly, but I'm guilty of sometimes letting it slide for quite some time.

Is there any reason why one should replace all four at the same time, rather than what's just needed at the time?

Again, thanks for the help and advice.
Date: July 16, 2008 05:40PM
As I mentioned in my earlier post I replaced the fronts first. the rears were good for almost another year.

Just do them in pairs, front or rear. As long as they are the correct size, it shouldn't matter. Put the new ones on the front, if it is a FWD. I know some/most tires sellers will try and talk you out of just 2, but it isn't a big deal. My brother managed a tire store for about 15 years, so I have some experience with this stuff.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2008 08:32PM
The Corvair and Pinto were two examples of the "How much will we save vs. how much will we pay out in law suits" school of thinking.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 17, 2008 09:52PM
No on has said anything about the tread wear rating on every tire. It's part of the code on the sidewall. Typically performance tires are rated between 220 and 300, while touring tires, even ones in the more performance end of the catagory, may have ratings around 420-460. This does not tell you the milage to expect, but a tire rated at 440 should last twice as many miles as one rated at 220.

Something like the Yokhaha A33 has a treadwear rating of 480. long lasting, while the Yokohama Advan A11A has a treadwear rating of 280. Shorter life span, higher performance tire.

The Advan A048 has a treadwear rating of 60, but I bet it really sticks

[www.tirerack.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014