advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
why is gas, milk and OJ sold by the gallon...
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 26, 2008 06:49PM
... and coke and water by the liter (litre)?

Seriously, Coke and Pepsi come in 2 L plastic bottles; milk, OJ and maybe other juices come in 1/2 gallon (1.89 L) jugs/cartoons. US refuses to go Metric (heck, even UK did this step), but at least I would expect all liquids to be measured by the same standard (ounces, gallon). But liter? why???
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: why is gas, milk and OJ sold by the gallon...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 26, 2008 06:58PM
What REALLY annoys me is when you try to buy things in the store. They give you the price per unit to compare, but sometimes the units they choose are bizarre. I noticed that some liquids are priced by weight rather than volume?!?! You try to compare prices but you need a computer to do the conversions so that it makes sense. It should be simple. If it is sold in a bottle, it is by volume. Sold in a box should use mass. I saw toilet paper priced by the pound. What the heck is that about?!?

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: July 26, 2008 07:13PM
For most liquids, and sodas for certain, a pint is a pound, so a fl oz weighs an oz.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 26, 2008 07:45PM
Seriously, Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks in metric sized containers is one of the small leftovers from the attempt to switch to metric started in the '70's. The larger soft drink companies switched, their equipment suppliers switched, and now they can use the same machinery world wide. Then along came the Reagan administration, and the whole metrification process was killed in the US. But the soft drink makers and some others had made the investment and are not going back.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 26, 2008 08:10PM
i think since the soda companies are international, it was more cost effective to standardize their bottle sizes.

edit: just noticed the poster before me had essentially already said this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 08:11PM by graylocks.
Date: July 26, 2008 09:03PM
Gutenberg
For most liquids, and sodas for certain, a pint is a pound, so a fl oz weighs an oz.

I don't know what the heck a pint/pound is. I have no concept of what it represents, other than a unit of beer in the case of pints. I think that the US will be metric before my life is over. It better be.

Date: July 26, 2008 09:03PM
Gutenberg

I don't know what the heck a pint/pound is. I have no concept of what it represents, other than a unit of beer in the case of pints. I think that the US will be metric before my life is over. It better be.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 26, 2008 09:08PM
a pint is a measure of volume. A pound is a measure of weight.

Fill a gallon jug with powdered LEAD, and you'll see it weighs much more than
a simple gallon of water. A gallon of water is 8 pints. It also weighs ~8 pounds.

Hence the fact that most liquids in solution that are water based weigh 16oz (1 lb)
for each pint.

Change the substance in the container, and that gallon container will weigh a lot more.

Or perhaps less. Fill it with Helium at 1 atmosphere, and you won't notice a difference at
all. If that gallon container happens to be a balloon.... it will weigh less!
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 26, 2008 09:11PM
I love this pic, and I'm glad I found it on my hard drive...

I scanned it in 1996.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 26, 2008 09:54PM
Toilet paper advertises itself by the sheet…

350ct
500ct
600ct

That's an interesting unit of measurement, since there's no standard "sheet".

Some of the 1000ct toilet paper is actually the same as others' 500ct. Those mfgrs simply cut the size of the 500ct "sheet" in half…

IT's so much easier if you're a dog…
Date: July 26, 2008 09:58PM
I've seen a pic of a UPS guy acting similar to a dog in broad daylight....
Posted by: robfilms
Date: July 26, 2008 10:08PM
u ever try selling a liquid by the inch, foot or yard?

gets mighty messy!

ymmv

be well

rob
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 26, 2008 10:53PM
Have you looked at bottles of wine and liquor lately?

[www.webtender.com]

[answers.yahoo.com]

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 26, 2008 11:15PM
ztirffritz
I think that the US will be metric before my life is over. It better be.

How young are you?

I found this when searching for some of the history of the US conversion.

[lamar.colostate.edu]

These things take time, a lot of time.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 27, 2008 01:55AM
I remember sitting in grade school listening to the teachers talk of the conversion to the metric system. That was 33 years ago. Are we any closer today?

Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 27, 2008 02:59AM
> Are we any closer today?

I think that it will take a European war before we convert completely. Send enough of our soldiers to Europe for a few years and they'll come back demanding that we go metric.

Kind of like what happened in WWI when soldiers brought back foods, textiles, songs a new fondness for wine and the clap.
Date: July 27, 2008 05:55AM
MacMagus
> .......when soldiers brought back foods, textiles, songs a new fondness for wine and the clap.

Is that why Gramps used to clap his hands for wine refills and grams would slap him really hard?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 27, 2008 08:41AM
Jimmypoo
MacMagus
> .......when soldiers brought back foods, textiles, songs a new fondness for wine and the clap.

Is that why Gramps used to clap his hands for wine refills and grams would slap him really hard?

Leave us alone you POS.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Posted by: davester
Date: July 27, 2008 10:15AM

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2008 10:17AM by davester.
Posted by: simonm
Date: July 27, 2008 12:22PM
Jimmypoo
a pint is a measure of volume. A pound is a measure of weight.
A gallon of water is 8 pints. It also weighs ~8 pounds.
Unless of course you get a UK gallon which weights 10 pounds. Then of course there is the ton, the long ton, the short tonne and the tonne ...
Date: July 27, 2008 01:12PM
The US and UK gallons were the same until 1824. Then the UK defined a stabdard "Imperial" gallon as being the volume occupied by 10 pounds of water under standard conditions. The rest of the volume measures were also modified at that time. So the UK pint and US pint are different now. This shows just how old the saying of "A pint's a pound..." really is.

That is also why if you are going to be drinking beer, you want the "English pint". That is 20 UK fl. oz., or about 19.2 US fl. oz. instead of the US pint of 16 oz.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 27, 2008 11:40PM
JoeH
Seriously, Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks in metric sized containers is one of the small leftovers from the attempt to switch to metric started in the '70's.

I think this is probably the only reason I have any understanding of metric volumes. Having grown up in the U.S. (in the 80's) I am used to both types of liquid measures. At school you would always get a pint of milk, or a half pint of orange juice. At home you would have gallons of milk, but liters of soda. Converting this country to metric for volumes should not be too difficult.

I think the last bastion of english measurements will be the foot. Everybody knows feet in this country, and the eight-foot stud will never ever go away. Try telling someone at Home Depot that you want a 2.43 meter , 5.08cm x 10.16cm stud. And let's not mention the fact that these studs aren't even 2x4 inches to begin with anymore. I'm sure every tape measure manufacturer in the country would love to sell all new metric products to everyone though.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 28, 2008 07:51AM
JoeH
Seriously, Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks in metric sized containers is one of the small leftovers from the attempt to switch to metric started in the '70's. The larger soft drink companies switched, their equipment suppliers switched, and now they can use the same machinery world wide. Then along came the Reagan administration, and the whole metrification process was killed in the US. But the soft drink makers and some others had made the investment and are not going back.

I'd believe the new bottling equipment was made in and procured from - China or Japan, long before I'd believe any President had anything to do with it.
Follow the money.
Date: July 28, 2008 10:41AM
billb
JoeH

I'd believe the new bottling equipment was made in and procured from - China or Japan, long before I'd believe any President had anything to do with it.
Follow the money.

That is BS of course since they first switched to metric soda containers in the '70's. And the machinery was made here in the US, at least then. As for the bottles, they are mostly made here as well, shipping empty soda containers in from China or the like does not make economic sense due to the high volume to weight ratio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login