advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best way to clean up Apple Extended Keyboard II?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 27, 2008 12:17PM
I have 2x Apple Extended Keyboard II and i'm curious what the best way to go about cleaning them would be. the keys feel fine but key presses are sometimes registering double - maybe thats because i'm using an s-video cable instead of a proper ADB cable? one of the keyboards has a significant amount of yellowing on the top panel. the keys look new.

so....any cleaning advice?

hm, i'm on the hunt for adb cables and mice. trying to get a mac classic working. boots fine.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best way to clean up Apple Extended Keyboard II?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: July 27, 2008 12:26PM
how to clean here:

[lowendmac.com]

I'm typing on one right now on my G5.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 27, 2008 12:51PM
I have been tempted to use something like this,

Posted by: macnut
Date: July 27, 2008 01:34PM
I'm typing this on an original Apple Extended Keyboard (not a II) I picked up at a thrift store some time ago for $5. It's still fantastic if you like the big IBM typewriter style boards. I connect it with a Griffin Tech ADB-USB dongle called an iMate. [www.griffintechnology.com]
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: July 27, 2008 02:00PM
One thing that cleaning article does not mention is to remove all the keys, and throw them in the dishwasher (in the basket, of course) for a good cleaning cycle. I have always found that is a necessary step. If the keys are still sticking - electrical contact cleaner will be necessary, take the whole thing apart, spray liberally, and use an air compressor to really get the crud out.

OWC Larry would NEVER, EVER, be without an Extended Keyboard II - I cherrypicked a few many years ago from some used ones we purchased, refurbed them, and they are put away for him in case he breaks one. I also have one brand spanking new one still here at home in a box... along with a number of Apple IIGS keyboards, and an adjustable Apple keyboard. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Adjustable_Keyboard)

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 27, 2008 02:25PM
I have a number of Extended II's stored away. How well does the iMate work with them in 10.4 and 10.5? Wondering since the latest OS Griffin supports is 10.3.9. Considering pulling one out since the "black" keyboard that came with my 533 DP G4 tends to skip some letters these days unless I press hard.

Posted by: volcs0
Date: July 27, 2008 02:36PM
The iMate works wonderfully here on 10.5. I also have a backstock of keyboards, just in case.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 27, 2008 03:58PM
I'be got spare ADB cables. Let me know if you are interested.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 27, 2008 05:00PM
I have a weird deal with the iMate/Extended II when it comes to waking from sleep. If I hit any key on the Extended II, the TiBook wakes but it does a very rapid key repeat with lots of beeping. Basically the computer freaks out and I have to restart. If I wake the TiBook by pressing a key on its built-in keyboard I have no problem. No big deal, I just have to remember to wake the TiBook by using its own keyboard.

Anybody else experience this phenomenon with the iMate? (It happens in both Panther and Tiger.
Posted by: macnut
Date: July 27, 2008 06:33PM
I am using an iMate on Leopard with no problems, after using it for years on earlier versions of X. Still going strong.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 27, 2008 09:31PM
You can use one of the "Mr Clean Magic Erasers" but if the keyboard is yellowed NOTHING will make it look new again... of course you could always paint it with the fabulous Krylon Fuzion paint for plastics and make it any color you want!!

I painted this Apple Adjustable about a month after the Fuzion paint was released and it is still looking good after almost 6 years!

The keys were dyed green using RIT fabric dye!!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 27, 2008 10:44PM
Jeez, I can't believe those iMates are still $30. Guess my Apple Extended keyboard will stay in the closet a while longer.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 27, 2008 11:25PM
$39, on the expensive side, but would allow me to use a really reliable keyboard.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 28, 2008 09:42AM
Reading this made me realize how dirty my white Macally keyboard had gotten. I thought about taking it apart for a thorough cleaning but instead turned the computer off, blew out the keyboard with canned air, then went over the keys with a paper towel & Windex. MUCH better now!

Posted by: raz
Date: July 28, 2008 09:52AM
wurm
Jeez, I can't believe those iMates are still $30. Guess my Apple Extended keyboard will stay in the closet a while longer.

I got mine on eBay from someone selling an joystick (with the iMate) for $15. I was sorely tempted to tell them to keep the joystick and save the cost of shipping.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Mac1337
Date: November 27, 2009 01:22AM
A de-yellowing procedure has been developed by Amiga fanatics and has been tested to work on Apple parts:

[eab.abime.net]

[68kmla.net]

Wiki on the subject:
[retr0bright.wikispaces.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015