advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bought a Ridgid brand 18V cordless drill at Home Depot tonight.
Posted by: Craig
Date: August 13, 2008 10:18PM
10 years ago, my house warming present from my father was a 12V NiCd Ryobi variable speed drill. I used it for several years for both drilling and screwing and was very happy with it. After 3 years of moderate "weekender" work the smart charger indicated that one of my batteries was malfunctioning. I looked into buying replacement batteries and into rebuilding the batteries as well.

Then, I was in Big Lots one day and saw a refurbed Ryobi 12V combo kit with drill, 2 batteries, trickle charger, flashlight, and hand vacuum for less than the cost of 1 replacement battery. So I brought it home and expanded the collection. I cycled the batteries through the smart charger and it showed all of them as malfunctioning- I pitched the "smart charger". I then cycled them through the trickle charger and the newer ones were excellent, one of the older ones was good, and the other older one was poor (it got recycled).

I was putting along for the next few years until I went to charge the older battery and it fried the transformer. Dead short battery #2- off to be recycled.

I replaced the transformer which worked for about another year until again- fried transformer. Dead short battery #3.

Repeat to find dead short battery #4.

I seriously considered a rebuild with tabbed sub-c (or tabbed C?)batteries, but if I was going to do it I wanted to step up to Li-Ion. Of course there is varying info on the net as to the wisdom in this. And I would still be stuck with 12V tools of which I only used the drills.

I borrowed the neighbors 18V Ryobi and loved the torque, but not the weight. But the whole time I was thinking back to the freaking batteries and charger and wondering how long they would last.

So tonight I was browsing in Home Depot with a couple of gift cards. The helper guy cruised by and actually provided some constructive help. He asked me questions and told me his experience from working there. Without any prompting he said that people seem to love the economy, feel, and performance of the Ryobis and are happy with them for a few years typically when they buy a new house, but that they often come back a couple years later complaining about batteries and chargers and the cost of replacing them.

He really felt like a guy that in a past life made a living selling power tools, but had been big boxxed into working at HD.

Anyway, we went over the pros and cons of Ryobi, Ridgid, Wilwaukee, Makita, DeWalt and talked about pricing. He then left me alone to make my decision, but said he would be around if I had more questions.

Well, I finally decided on the 18V Li-Ion cordless Rigid drill. It was in the same general price range as the Makita (I actually liked the Makita better) but the thing that sold me on Ridgid was the lifetime guarantee on all moving parts, switches, charger, and get this- batteries. Meaning, I will never have to buy another battery for this cordless drill for as long as I live. You do have to register it by mail- but I will scan everything into pdfs and archive them away into my gmail account for eternity.

Even the DeWalts, Wilwaukees, and Makitas only had up to 3 year warranties with 2 years on the batteries. It reminded me of the 45 year old Craftsman 3/8"-1/2" box end wrench that my dad took into sears when it rounded over on one end. They took one look at it, walked over to the shelf and handed him a new on. He had been pumping himself up for the fight of the century, but all he got was a smile, new wrench, and a thanks.

Anyway, this feels like a nice tool for the price and I am relieved to know that as long as Ridgid or a related company exists- this drill will have working batteries, charger, and a tight chuck.

Anyone else use Ridgid tools? Are they worth the lifetime guarantee? I have to say, with the Li-Ion batteries the weight distribution is much more comfortable in the hand.

Craig
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bought a Ridgid brand 18V cordless drill at Home Depot tonight.
Posted by: macnut
Date: August 13, 2008 10:28PM
I often buy Ridgid tools not only because of the guarantee, which I've never had to use, but because they are really nicely designed tools and do the job very well. While one has to tear and compare, often Ridgid impresses me as the one I want to have around awhile.
Posted by: bukowski
Date: August 13, 2008 10:47PM
Yes, Ridgid does cover the batteries, brushes, etc. but be sure to send in ALL the required registration/warranty info (they'll send a confirmation of receipt).
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 13, 2008 11:14PM
Ridgid stands behind their stuff so it will be interesting to see how it works out with the batteries.

I was looking to replace a rather anemic ShopVac Hang Up vacuum last year.

I had the big Sears Crafsman mega vac that had seen 25+ years of hard work (and still does)
but the Hang Up was a convenience vac for the studio and household type jobs.

I read a review in Fine Homebuilding on the RIDGID 4.5 Gal. Pro-Pack - very cool tool box size vac
with all of the tool storage on board inside the box [www.homedepot.com]

When I went to see it I thought it was nice but gravitated towards the RIDGID 5 Gal. Stor ‘N Go Wall Mounted Vac [www.homedepot.com]

This thing is great (and it was a steal at $99 - now on sale for $75)
Only down side is the 1 7/8 hose is a little odd ball so I had to make my own adaptors for dust collectors
when using on tools (miter saw etc ...) but it is powerful and well thought out .... but I digress ...

The weak spot is the tabs that the tool basket hand on and one broke off after a few months.

A quick email to Ridgid and I had a new lower section (tank / collector) shipped free in a couple days.
They also noted (unprompted) that they had sent the report of the flaw (minor) to the engineering dept.
No need to return old tank either so it ended up as a spare "wet tank"

Ridgid stands behind their stuff (in my experience) and customer service was top notch.

Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: August 13, 2008 11:28PM
lafinfil
Ridgid stands behind their stuff so it will be interesting to see how it works out with the batteries.

I had the big Sears Crafsman mega vac that had seen 25+ years of hard work (and still does)

I read a review in Fine Homebuilding on the RIDGID 4.5 Gal. Pro-Pack - very cool tool box size vac

When I went to see it I thought it was nice but gravitated towards the RIDGID 5 Gal. Stor ‘N Go Wall Mounted Vac [www.homedepot.com]

Only down side is the 1 7/8 hose is a little odd ball so I had to make my own adaptors for dust collectors
when using on tools (miter saw etc ...) but it is powerful and well thought out .... but I digress ...

The weak spot is the tabs that the tool basket hand on and one broke off after a few months.

A quick email to Ridgid and I had a new lower section (tank / collector) shipped free in a couple days.
They also noted (unprompted) that they had sent the report of the flaw (minor) to the engineering dept.

Ridgid stands behind their stuff (in my experience) and customer service was top notch.
Next time I need something from Ridgid I'll ask you to send the request. I bought a twin-tank aluminum compressor and had a miserable experience trying to get them to send a replacement cap (non-responses and buck-passing).
Home Depot has all but eliminated anything Shop Vac compatible from their sales selection in exclusive favor of Ridgid- it's a bit annoying.
The homo-erotic branding and design definitely appeals to my market segment, though.
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 13, 2008 11:38PM
In our shop we have collected pairs of DeWalt, Makita, and Panasonic drills. We start with one and when the batteries die, it is cheaper to buy a new one with two batteries than paying retail for a single replacement battery. All of the drills work fine, it's the batteries that die. We run a lot of small wood screws and prefer the lower voltage and lighter units with clutches. For hammer drilling in concrete the 24vDeWalt is handy.
Never bought any of their tools, but I have a few calendars.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 14, 2008 12:22AM
Nice stuff.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Craig
Date: August 14, 2008 04:50AM
BTW-

Here is the $187 Ridgid that I ended up with. The thin black part at the bottom below the orange clip is the battery pack so you can see how small it is:

[www.homedepot.com]

The $201 Makita felt better in my hand and is sexier, but I couldn't pass up the lifetime free batteries:

[www.homedepot.com]

The neighbor asked me why I was drilling a whole into the concrete sidewalk in front of the house.Bwuhahahhahahaha!

Craig
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 14, 2008 06:49AM
Black Landlord
lafinfil

Next time I need something from Ridgid I'll ask you to send the request. I bought a twin-tank aluminum compressor and had a miserable experience trying to get them to send a replacement cap (non-responses and buck-passing).
Home Depot has all but eliminated anything Shop Vac compatible from their sales selection in exclusive favor of Ridgid- it's a bit annoying.
The homo-erotic branding and design definitely appeals to my market segment, though.

Sorry to hear that. Did you deal with HD or directly with Ridgid ?

All mine took was a couple emails to Ridgid. Reported the problem and got a reply with a couple questions
which I replied to and I got the tank in less than 3 days.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out with the Lithium-Ion batteries. After reading up on them
I liked the idea of the weight to power ratio but they seemed a little fussy so I just replaced
and aging 3/8" 14.4 DeWalt with a 1/2" 14.4 DeWalt (joining the 12 Volt DeWalt) Guess i like DeWalts drill motors ...

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: August 14, 2008 06:50AM
>>>I used it for several years for both drilling and screwing and was very happy with it.

Seems perfectly natural you would choose a Ridgid tool. What does your S/O have to say? Kudos as well?
Date: August 14, 2008 07:38AM
lafinfil
Black Landlord
lafinfil

Sorry to hear that. Did you deal with HD or directly with Ridgid ?

All mine took was a couple emails to Ridgid. Reported the problem and got a reply with a couple questions
which I replied to and I got the tank in less than 3 days.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out with the Lithium-Ion batteries. After reading up on them
I liked the idea of the weight to power ratio but they seemed a little fussy so I just replaced
and aging 3/8" 14.4 DeWalt with a 1/2" 14.4 DeWalt (joining the 12 Volt DeWalt) Guess i like DeWalts drill motors ...

Directly with Ridgid.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 14, 2008 08:02AM
Hey, can someone write a letter to Home Depot on my behalf for the POS Husky compressor I bought that never worked on the 90psi fitting? (only 40psi works).

I'm only looking for parts but got nowhere with them. It's a longer story, but all I wanted to do was buy parts - no such luck.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: August 14, 2008 09:40AM
mrbigstuff
Hey, can someone write a letter to Home Depot on my behalf for the POS Husky compressor I bought that never worked on the 90psi fitting? (only 40psi works).

I'm only looking for parts but got nowhere with them. It's a longer story, but all I wanted to do was buy parts - no such luck.

Done.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 14, 2008 10:07AM
mrbigstuff

Keep an eye on Jimmy and where he gets his pencils:[query.nytimes.com]
Date: August 14, 2008 09:00PM
My compressor doesn't work properly either, but I sat on it way too long without testing it out.
Lent it out and the beighbor says there's a trick to getting it to work that involves unplugging it when it reaches a certain PSI.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018