advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who here knows something about collectible US currency?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 07, 2008 03:14PM
During my cleaning spree, I found an envelope containing a $10 bill that has a large overstamp of "Hawaii" on the reverse, and the face has "Hawaii" printed perpendicularly on the face of the bill - once on the left and once on the right. When I did a Google search, I did find mention of bills that were overstamped with the word Hawaii shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It was done in the event Hawaii was occupied by the Japanese and the money confiscated. However, I couldn't find any reference to bills overprinted on the series 1934 A $10 bills; I was able to find reference to 1935 A bills, and they also are known as military pay certificates. Some were printed for Hawaii and others for Africa.

The front is printed like the $1 bill pictured on this link:

[www.fcmint.com]

Any currency collectors who could help me out?!

Edit: I found it! I tried using "military pay currency" and found one on an open eBay auction. Current bid is $102, with another day to go on the auction. I think theirs is in better condition than the one I have, though.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 03:19PM by AlphaDog.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who here knows something about collectible US currency?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 07, 2008 03:24PM
Does it look like this one?

[usrarecurrency.com]

And here is an auction if it is the same.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Date: September 07, 2008 03:31PM
Yup, those are them! What search criteria did you use? I struggled for a while before I finally found a combination that got me the links I posted. It's too bad mine isn't crispy. sad smiley
Date: September 07, 2008 03:35PM
AlphaDog
Yup, those are them! What search criteria did you use? I struggled for a while before I finally found a combination that got me the links I posted. It's too bad mine isn't crispy. sad smiley

Erm, hawaii, WWII and $10. I didn't even put in 1934!

[www.google.com]

Date: September 07, 2008 03:37PM
I didn't put in the WWII. smiling smiley Well, and when I first started searching, I didn't realize the significance. Even after I figured that part out, I still didn't think to add the war reference.
Date: September 07, 2008 03:39PM
Don't mention the war.

;)

Date: September 07, 2008 03:46PM
See?? I was trying to repress that. smiling smiley
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 07, 2008 06:14PM
So when you say that you found the envelope when you were cleaning, do you mean that it wasn't yours, and some previous owner had left it/hidden it? Or was it yours, but you just hadn't seen it for a while?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: September 07, 2008 06:46PM
My husband died almost four years ago, and I'm still making my way through all of the stuff he had stashed in his many filing cabinets. I found the envelope in a folder marked "Personal" (there are at least ten by that name,) It was in a small sealed envelope, and the outside - in his handwriting - says "Hawaii $10 from Irene - Nov - 1971 Hold for Mikey"

Well, "Mikey" is our son, who is almost forty now, and Irene was my mother. I'm not even sure I knew about it back in 1971, let alone would I have ever known where to look for it now, even if I did.

Cleaning this place is so much fun. Not. I don't dare throw so much as one piece of paper away without thoroughly examining it, and there are thousands and thousands of pieces of paper left in the equivalent of a four drawer filing cabinet.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2008 11:16AM
I used to have a girlfriend who collected lots of $1 bills...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020