advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.13 ( +1.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why is my dishwasher water inlet valve getting clogged? (pics)
Posted by: volcs0
Date: September 13, 2008 09:47AM
About every six months, our dishwasher stops working well because it stops filling. I've isolated the problem to the water inlet valve getting clogged up - cleaning off this little screen completely solves the problem.

A few questions:

1. Why does this happen?
2. Is there any way to prevent it? It is a pain to take off the valve, dismantle it and clean it out - it takes about 45 minutes and I usually make a mess in the process.

Thanks for the advice.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why is my dishwasher water inlet valve getting clogged? (pics)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 13, 2008 09:55AM
Old electric water heater?

Turn off power, drain tank, remove drain valve, stick the hose from a wet/dry vac in the hole and suck up as much sediment as you can.

If that doesn't fix the problem put a sediment filter on the water line that feeds the kitchen (your icemaker thanks you).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 10:05AM by Bill in NC.
Date: September 13, 2008 10:30AM
bill came up with one possible scenario. To do much more problem solving might take a little, or a lot more info. Is this hot or cold water, what is your water source (local well water, city water and from where...), how old is the house and neighborhood, what kind of pipes?

in tha 510.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 13, 2008 10:36AM
I agree with Bill. Your water heater should be flushed (amongst other things) at least once a year (it'll last longer and be less expensive to operate that way too). That's the first place to start looking for problems. You should also try to flush water around the bottom of the tank to get that sediment out, by (after it's drained) turning the inlet valve on and off repeatedly. One other thing to note...if your water heater was made between 1993 and 1996, there's a good chance its dip tube is disintegrating and clogging your inlet filter. Here's a more comprehensive guide, including a discussion of the bad dip tube problem. [www.waterheaterrescue.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2008 10:48AM
What do the filters in the washing machine inlets look like ?

If they are fine, then your problem would seem to be closer to the dishwasher rather than water supply.

Green is usually indicative of copper or plant growth.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: September 13, 2008 11:35AM
We live in a condo, so I will have to figure out the best way to approach this problem.

It is an old building (100 years), but I do not know the status of the (common) water heater.

I know very little about plumbing. This is a hot water feed that comes off the main hot water under the sink. After I troubleshoot the hot water aspect, I will see about some sort of filter I could put in-line that would be easier to clean than taking apart the water inlet valve.

I will check the filter for the washing machine.

Thanks for the advice - this is helpful.
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 13, 2008 11:43AM
Eventually this schmutz will clog all of your faucets.

It would probably not be difficult to install large filters on your hot and cold water lines where they come into your condo to screen this stuff out. You just turn off the water and swap out the filters once a year or so, or whenever the filters get clogged.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 13, 2008 11:50AM
Can you install an easier to clean assembly (or even a cartridge filter) on your side of the wall where the feed lines come in?
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2008 11:58AM
You might want to check the screens in the faucets (unscrew the aeriators) before pulling the washing machine from the wall.
If they are not clogged then you probably need to focus on the dishwasher.
If they are all clogged then you probably need to look for a more common source. , which may be the water heater or further back the line.

If you have a whole house water filter and <<it>> is green then maybe it needs a new filter. You may have just a course sediment filter rather than a fine one and it may be letting some stuff by.

I only get rust blocking mine.
It is from my well water.
Brown, not green.
Before I moved in here, someone had put the whole house filter in by-pass.
Had to clean everything.
Didn't dawn on me to look until the clothes washing machine started taking much longer periods of time to wash clothes.

My washer has filters on both ends of the hoses.
Posted by: DCrunch
Date: September 13, 2008 03:10PM
Our dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal. Perhaps there's a connection with your setup.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 14, 2008 01:04AM
Pretty much all dishwashers drain into garbage disposals. I don't think this would have any effect on inlet filters.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login