advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Source for Retail Mac OS X 10.4 install discs?
Posted by: Jem
Date: September 19, 2008 02:09PM
Subject say it all. Looking to pick up a legit copy of Retail Mac OS X 10.4 install discs?

Amazon only has it through 3rd parties for $180?!?!?

This is for a slightly older PowerBook G4 that really doesn't need 10.5
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Source for Retail Mac OS X 10.4 install discs?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 19, 2008 02:17PM
Make that two! My slightly older PowerBook G4 said it didn't even want 10.5. He does deserve an upgrade, but not a $180 upgrade that's software and not hardware!
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: September 19, 2008 02:22PM
eBay.

Make sure that it's a universal installer and not machine-specific.
Posted by: papercup
Date: September 19, 2008 02:24PM
Also, make sure is is for a G4 (i have a non-machine specific copy, but is for Intel only)

Mac OS X 10.4 P/N #2Z691-6113-A (Intel only)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 19, 2008 02:32PM
papercup;

Interesting! I was not aware that any "retail" (not machine specific) copies of an Intel-10.4 were out there!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: September 19, 2008 02:35PM
Paul F.
papercup;

Interesting! I was not aware that any "retail" (not machine specific) copies of an Intel-10.4 were out there!

Its not retail, it was a drop-in DVD set (2 pieces) in a refurb Macbook, but the discs don't say Macbook, and they install fine in towers, iMacs, minis, etc.

The DVD face just says "For Mac Computers", unlike the more common Macbook versions out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 02:39PM by papercup.
Date: September 19, 2008 02:39PM
Um, isn't this illegal?

"This disk came bundled with software from my Mac Mini. Have used it about 3 times on various machines to upgrade systems to Mac OS 10.4."

This came from a completed listing, where I was checking to see how much 10.4 running. It apparently sold BIN for $49.99. Others that don't say they've already been used multiple times are running around $100, although there's quite a bit of variation.

What does the notation "Xcode2" mean? Some have that in the description and some don't.
Date: September 19, 2008 02:44PM
AlphaDog
Um, isn't this illegal?

"This disk came bundled with software from my Mac Mini. Have used it about 3 times on various machines to upgrade systems to Mac OS 10.4."

This came from a completed listing, where I was checking to see how much 10.4 running. It apparently sold BIN for $49.99. Others that don't say they've already been used multiple times are running around $100, although there's quite a bit of variation.

What does the notation "Xcode2" mean? Some have that in the description and some don't.

Might be illegal, but maybe he/she has since upgraded to Leopard, wiping Tiger.

Or maybe they actually own 3 licenses, but for convenience have used this DVD set multiple times, knowing of their other licenses.

But probably illegal, yes. Since OS X does not require registration or have a serial #, multiple installs are done on the 'non-honor system'
Date: September 19, 2008 02:55PM
I vote for illegal, because of the way it's worded. I think otherwise, if the person was concerned about issues of legality, they would have further explained why they now wanted to sell it. If I had one that was perfectly legitimate, I'd make sure people knew. Judging from the bargain basement BIN price, I suspect the seller was being honest about the dishonesty. Yes, I'm definitely the suspicious type.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2008 04:33PM
OWC or (sorry, Larry) Small Dog.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: September 19, 2008 05:40PM
Try L.A. Computer Company. They had 10.4.6 for $129.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: September 19, 2008 08:53PM
Whether or not the seller violated his license, that's between him and the licensor.

Under the first sale doctrine, he is allowed to sell you the media and any rights that he has to the content. Courts may differ as to the fine-details of the matter (and the RIAA is trying to make it a criminal rather than a civil matter), but so far as I know for now in most U.S. jurisdictions it's the seller's liability and not that of the good-faith buyer.

Of course, the aforewritten is merely general principle. There may be something that I'm overlooking as to this specific transaction. I didn't bother searching eBay for what is, I assume, an auction that you're criticizing so I don't know what other liability may attach. For real legal advice, consult an attorney. ;)
Posted by: clay
Date: September 19, 2008 09:04PM
the LEM swap list is going to give you the best price. I sold a retail copy on ebay for about $140 a couple of weeks ago, and have another set up right now--I expect to do almost as well.
Date: September 20, 2008 04:40PM
MacMagus
Whether or not the seller violated his license, that's between him and the licensor.

Under the first sale doctrine, he is allowed to sell you the media and any rights that he has to the content. Courts may differ as to the fine-details of the matter (and the RIAA is trying to make it a criminal rather than a civil matter), but so far as I know for now in most U.S. jurisdictions it's the seller's liability and not that of the good-faith buyer.

Of course, the aforewritten is merely general principle. There may be something that I'm overlooking as to this specific transaction. I didn't bother searching eBay for what is, I assume, an auction that you're criticizing so I don't know what other liability may attach. For real legal advice, consult an attorney. ;)

It was a completed auction, so I'm sure not going to worry about it - especially not to the point of hiring an attorney! It just struck me as strange, especially when his BIN price was roughly half as much (or less) than what others got for the copies they sold.
Posted by: Jem
Date: September 22, 2008 01:21PM
Thank you for the responses and suggestions! Got tied up with some family health issues and didn't make it back to my own thread :{ Will look at OWC and SmallDog!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 331
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018