advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How important is an on/off switch on an external hard drive?
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 28, 2008 03:17PM
Looking at a 640GB WD external for $80 and the only caveat I see noted is that there is no on/off switch. I will likely use it only for backup, so other than the inconvenience of plugging and unplugging, can you think of any other negatives?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How important is an on/off switch on an external hard drive?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 28, 2008 03:31PM
Include a link! That sounds like a great deal.

Is it one of those compact USB drives, no-frills, WD makes great externals, I have one. It's one of their pocket-sized 160 GB USB-powered drives I got for around $55 a few months ago. As long as you dismount before unplugging, it's good to go. Does it have a power supply? Or is it USB powered?
Date: September 28, 2008 03:37PM
It has a power supply. Listed at regular price now, but supposedly the sale starts Monday 8am PST. Seems to have decent reviews. Here you go.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 28, 2008 03:44PM
You could always throw away the case. $80 is what the bare drive tends to sell for.

I wouldn't want a case with no on/off switch.
Depends.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 28, 2008 04:29PM
A drive that's always on (especially with no fan) might get hot enough to cook the drive or the controller.

IF (NoteTheBigIF) the drive automatically spins down when idle, I don't think it's important to have an On/Off switch.

Not all externals spin down. I have a SimpleTech drive that does, and I seldom turn it off. It doesn't get very warm and isn't on for more than a couple of hours at a time.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Depends.
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 28, 2008 05:40PM
RAMd®d

Not all externals spin down. I have a SimpleTech drive that does, and I seldom turn it off. It doesn't get very warm and isn't on for more than a couple of hours at a time.

To clarify this point, whether or not it spins down is a function of the bridge (USB to SATA or whatever) than it is the actual drive.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 28, 2008 06:39PM
ka jowct
You could always throw away the case. $80 is what the bare drive tends to sell for.

I wouldn't want a case with no on/off switch.

Is it possible to identify the particular drive they use? I just bought a bare Western Digital 640GB from NewEgg last week and it cost $85.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 06:41PM by Ammo.
Date: September 28, 2008 07:15PM
Doing a little more research, I'm finding comments indicating that it spins down when not in use. No one seems to know for sure which drive is inside, but one comment says it'll probably be the Caviar Blue SATA, since WD doesn't make either a 640GB Caviar Blue or Caviar Green / Greenpower.

No reviews on Amazon for the 640GB, but reviews for the 500GB version have some saying theirs has an on/off switch, while others say theirs doesn't. No mention of that info on the WD website.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 28, 2008 07:17PM
My three externals were making a bit more noise than I wanted, so I dismounted them using the 'eject' function. They remained on, however.

When I wanted them back, I couldn't figure how to mount them, since the Mac didn't see them. So I turned them off, then on with their power switches, and back they came.

So I vote for Off/On switches—faster than restarting the Mac.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

New blog! [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Even newer blog! [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 28, 2008 07:36PM
mrlynn
My three externals were making a bit more noise than I wanted, so I dismounted them using the 'eject' function. They remained on, however.

When I wanted them back, I couldn't figure how to mount them, since the Mac didn't see them. So I turned them off, then on with their power switches, and back they came.

So I vote for Off/On switches—faster than restarting the Mac.

/Mr Lynn

I think you can mount them again with Disk Utility without switching them OFF and back ON.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 28, 2008 07:50PM
Space-Time is correct, Disk Utility.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: olnacl
Date: September 28, 2008 08:25PM
Or, since it's unmounted, just unplug the FW/USB cable and plug it back in again.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 28, 2008 09:22PM
wurm
Doing a little more research, I'm finding comments indicating that it spins down when not in use. No one seems to know for sure which drive is inside, but one comment says it'll probably be the Caviar Blue SATA, since WD doesn't make either a 640GB Caviar Blue or Caviar Green / Greenpower.

No reviews on Amazon for the 640GB, but reviews for the 500GB version have some saying theirs has an on/off switch, while others say theirs doesn't. No mention of that info on the WD website.

If it's this one, it is a nice deal, because users give the bare drive 5 eggs on NewEgg:
[www.newegg.com]
Manufacture's page:
[www.wdc.com]
Posted by: dotman
Date: September 28, 2008 09:37PM
I've always heard it's safest to turn the drive off when connecting via firewire. not sure if this is true, but it is a practice i follow.

dot.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 28, 2008 10:21PM
space-time
I think you can mount them again with Disk Utility without switching them OFF and back ON.

Now you tell me!:-)

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014