advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cans of food
Posted by: kap
Date: September 30, 2008 11:59PM
We have 10 various canned food that have expired 4 months ago. Besides trashing them, is there anything else they could be good for?

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cans of food
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 01, 2008 12:43AM
should still be OK, if its just 4 months, unless they show rust or bulging. I'm home sick, and I ate 2 frozen dinners with a best by date of jan '07 today. They were still palatable (in so much as they were that when new....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 12:44AM by Racer X.
Posted by: artie67
Date: October 01, 2008 01:19AM
I have two cans of "Trader Joes" canned corn labeled vintage 1987 left in the Earthquake emergency kit. Yours if you want them. They don't date the corn anymore. It's probably a very good idea when setting up an emergency food supply to date the products...somehow I see Dr. House giving me that look..Duh
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 01, 2008 02:20AM
send the corn to Paul F.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 01, 2008 08:10AM
Best if used by:
Is just that.

The contents were expired before they went into the can.

Most "Best if used by" and "sell by" dates have more to do with the package's ability to preserve the contents than the contents useability.

As mentioned previously, if the can's integrity has not been compromised, neither should the contents be compromised.

The melamine risk should be minimal. :-)
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: October 01, 2008 07:51PM
Back in the old days before everything and it's brother had "dates" on it...and you had something around for awhile, you'd look at the can to see if there was anything like bulging, etc. if there wasn't then you'd open it and smell of the contents, if it passed the smell test then you'd look at it to see if it looked okay, if it passed the look test then you'd try the taste test.
Date: October 01, 2008 08:18PM
The look and taste test isn't gonna do with melamine old fogey smiley

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 08:18PM by kap.
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: October 02, 2008 12:13AM
I had two small cans of tomato sauce 'best if used by Feb 2008' on my shelves. I used one of the cans when making dinner tonight but skipped the other one. I thought it looked like it bulged a little, and when I opened it there was a bit of a hiss. Better safe than sorry, I threw that one out. I've had canned soup that was a few years old and it was OK - not quite as good as newer cans but OK.
Date: October 02, 2008 12:34AM
msienkiewicz
I had two small cans of tomato sauce 'best if used by Feb 2008' on my shelves. I used one of the cans when making dinner tonight but skipped the other one. I thought it looked like it bulged a little, and when I opened it there was a bit of a hiss. Better safe than sorry, I threw that one out. I've had canned soup that was a few years old and it was OK - not quite as good as newer cans but OK.

A hiss? I'd call a snake charmer!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 02, 2008 12:42AM
I would eat them if they smelled OK. They should be fine, especially if you boil them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018