advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
50' or Longer
Posted by: Wolf Larsen
Date: December 17, 2005 02:26PM
I need a 50' or longer RCA cable. Where's a good place to shop for that? Googling gives too many options to wade through. If you already know of a merchant you would like to share with me, that would be wonderful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 50' or Longer
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: December 17, 2005 02:27PM
[www.monoprice.com]

Keep in mind a 50' long RCA signal will sound like crap.
Date: December 17, 2005 03:02PM
Thanks Ninja! And for the signal degradation tip. I didn't know that.
Date: December 17, 2005 03:32PM
I think that if you use this cable: [www.monoprice.com]

Which is supposed to be for a digital signal, that you should experience the least amount of noise leaking into the signal. Long cable runs over RCA type wires suffer from distortion leaking into the wire as well as degradation from the length of the wire the signal has to travel. The thicker the wire, better insulated, and better shielded it is, the better the signal will sound at the end.

Monoprice has some great quality cables for their prices. You can almost always see what you're gonna get from the picture. (I say almost since there are a few items without pictures). I've ordered from them 3 times now.

Is it possible you could use another form of cable? Optical or Coax-digital?
What's the purpose of the RCA line?
Date: December 17, 2005 03:39PM
Speaker wire from stereo or iPod to speakers by the pool.
Date: December 17, 2005 04:25PM
Ahh...

So, are these wires pre-amplifier or after?

Speakers require power?

If the amplifier (if there is one) is to be using the RCA wire to get the signal to the speakers, you can use any (almost) wire to do that. You could probably go to Radioshack and pick up a cheapo 50' cable.

[www.radioshack.com]

RCA cables that carry a low power signal are very susceptible to interference. (Actually, just as susceptible). The problem is that the signal is low enough that it doesn't take a lot of interference to start to ruin the signal.

If your cables are carrying an already amplified signal (out of a stereo/amplifier) then that same amount of interference will show up, but it won't be noticeable because the signal is stronger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020