Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.98 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Leave printer on or turn off?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 08, 2008 02:28PM
I have heard that turning a printer on and off uses ink because of how the printer parks the heads. What is the consensus about how often to turn the printer off? I don't do a lot of printing, so the printer may not be used every day.

We have two Canon inkjet printers.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Leave printer on or turn off?
Posted by: laarree
Date: October 08, 2008 02:30PM
AFAIK Epson recommends you power off your Epson printers, but Canon recommends you leave theirs on.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: Rain
Date: October 08, 2008 02:36PM
have always left my epsons on - they go to sleep

[www.reverbnation.com]

Thanks for everyone's help and support after Hurricane Katrina!
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: October 08, 2008 02:47PM
My Canon hasn't been shut down since the last power outage, which was sometime last Spring if I remember right.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 08, 2008 02:54PM
My understanding is that Canon and Epson printers clean the printhead whenever they have an off-on cycle. This cleaning does involve running some ink through the printhead. If you never turn it off and don't use it very often, the ink could therefore dry in the printhead because of a lack cleaning cycles, necessitating expensive replacement. You also have to think about power costs if you have very low usage. Although a sleeping printer uses less power than an operating printer, the sleeping printer is going 24/7 which can make a small dent in your utility bill (and multiplied by millions of printers a big dent in greenhouse gas output. I wouldn't be surprised if the power cost is about the same or more than the wasted ink cost. Given your low frequency usage, I'd turn it off every time.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: October 08, 2008 03:16PM
I know this doesn't apply to your situation, but I'll relate this in case someone else is confronted with this issue.

We have an HP Color LaserJet 2550. I don't know if this issue occurs with the newer versions. Anyway, we rarely print to it. Maybe 10-20 pages a month. I was excited when I got it because it came with the "4,000 page" toner carts. I figured they'd last for years. Then, in less than 2 years, the lights came on telling me the carts were low. I couldn't figure out why. It took me a while, but I figured it out. The printer cycles itself about 3 or 4 times a day (and it was LOUD when it did so, but we got used to it). I figured out that the chip on the toner carts were counting that as a page printed every time. I determined that because I printed a status page, then a week later (after not having printed anything in the intervening time) I printed another one and the number of pages remaining was down by something like 25 pages. I was able to get a full set of carts off someone on Craigslist recently, and now I unplug it when I'm not printing to it. Yes, it's a pain, but hopefully it'll make the toner carts last a little longer. When these run out, I'll give it away (because nobody in their right mind would pay for it) and probably go back to inkjets.
Posted by: ADent
Date: October 08, 2008 03:21PM
My Brother inkjet cycles itself everyday and will eat a cartridge in a relatively short amount of time (60 to 90 days) even without any printing.

It is now on a powerstrip.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: October 08, 2008 04:01PM
My Canon i860 stays off. It turns on automatically when I start a print job, then goes back off.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 08, 2008 04:23PM
My IP4000n automatically turns itself off after a short amount of time after it stops seeing print requests. Automatically turns itself on when it gets a new print request.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: will2000
Date: October 08, 2008 04:25PM
My HP PhotoSmart stays on and uses little ink. However, when they do run out, they are expensive to replace.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 08, 2008 05:03PM
Thanks for all the input. One of our Canons uses the cheap non-chipped carts, so I'm not too worried about it, since the ink is cheap. The new All-in-One uses the expensive carts, so I want to conserve those as much as I can. I guess I will go with a middle of the road approach and turn it off when I think no one will be using it for a while, but leave it on if I think it will get used relatively soon.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2008 02:20AM
We turn our laser off.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: October 09, 2008 04:51AM
I use Epson ink jet printers and since they never go a day without use they stay on 24/7. Mine have an incredible long wake up waste ink cycle.
Posted by: qdog
Date: October 09, 2008 09:05AM
Don, How did you set the i860 to turn on and off automatically?
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: October 09, 2008 03:22PM
1) An HP 800-series Deskjet that has never been off except when the power goes out. Works perfectly, first time every time -- it's 7, no, 8 years old.
2) Newish Canon PIXMA that has never been off except when the power goes out. Works perfectly, first time every time -- it's 2 years old.

Have had several (6? 8? -- 4 of them were "freebies" that came with new computer) Epsons and all of them guzzled ink and never printed the first time every time after the first thirty days. They all went to the dump -- no one wanted them.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login