advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What to do with old A/C adapters?
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 08, 2008 10:10PM
Well, I just bought a new Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router after concluding that my old Belkin finally died [forums.macresource.com]. Hooked up fine and I haven't lost my signal yet.

While I'm always hesitant to just throw out old gear, for some reason I find it especially difficult to toss A/C adapters. I probably have a half dozen lying around, because they still work, but usually the item it was powering is long gone. Most equipment now seems to have cautions all over it saying that they should be used only with the original specific power adapter. It may be BS, but even if not, whenever you buy something, it comes with one anyway, so there will always be extras.

So what's the word? Should I just toss the old perfectly working one(s) in the trash? Do they have to be recycled?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do with old A/C adapters?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 08, 2008 10:40PM
Put them up on Craig's List or eBay or something, there usually is someone looking for an adapter to replace one that went bad or was lost. That might be harder if you have no idea what the adapter went to.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 08, 2008 10:54PM
amazingly, every few years something will pop up, and there will be another use for an old wall wart, so you have to save ALL of them, because you won't know in advance which of the old ones you're gonna need...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 08, 2008 11:55PM
About every 3-4 years, I end up recycling one of my old AC adapters by using it to power something it was never meant to.
So - yes, I say keep them. Welcome to the clutter club...
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2008 06:02AM
I keep the new "switching" type, they're smaller, lighter, and more efficient. Also more accurate (constant voltage) than the old transformer type.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: October 09, 2008 09:28AM
Put them next to your old cell phones.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: October 09, 2008 04:38PM
Dakota
Put them next to your old cell phones.

exactly what I do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020