advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
the thrill of V.ictory..!. . .the creators of 'The 4400' are remaking the mini-series 'V'. . .
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 10, 2008 12:42PM
. . .for ABC. . .

ABC Flashes 'V' Sign
The network is developing a new take on the '80s sci-fi series

People of Earth, make sure your small house pets are secure: The animal-chomping lizard-people of "V" may be headed back to television.

ABC has put a new version of the 1980s sci-fi franchise into development. Scott Peters, a co-creator of "The 4400," is writing the new version and will executive produce with film and video-game producer Jace Hall ("F.E.A.R." ).

"Whenever I mention 'V' to anybody, they still have a lot of good memories about the original movie and series," Peters tells Variety. "Everybody has that imagery of their uniforms, or the visitor eating a hamster. It's a science fiction icon and too good to pass up."

ABC's version of "V" will be produced by Warner Bros. TV, which produced the original 1983 miniseries on NBC, a follow-up mini the next year and a weekly show that ran for one season in 1984-85. Hall is a former head of Warner Bros. Interactive, and his production company has a home on the lot.

Kenneth Johnson, the creator of the original show, has also been working on a next-gen take on the concept, but isn't involved with ABC's project.

The original "V" served as a rather overt Holocaust allegory, down to the swastika-like insignia on the Visitors' uniforms. Peters says his take won't go in exactly the same direction but will deal with some of the same themes of blind faith and resistance to power.

It will center on a Homeland Security agent and single mother whose teenage son becomes enamored of the aliens, Variety says. Naturally, the initially benevolent Visitors have ulterior motives. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the thrill of V.ictory..!. . .the creators of 'The 4400' are remaking the mini-series 'V'. . .
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 10, 2008 12:52PM
Great. Just what we need, another remake of a horrible TV series written by guys with the IQ of a hampster.
Re: the thrill of V.ictory..!. . .the creators of 'The 4400' are remaking the mini-series 'V'. . .
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 10, 2008 12:55PM
Will Collier
Great. Just what we need, another remake of a horrible TV series written by guys with the IQ of a hampster.

And all the subtlety of a turd in the punch bowl...

Another classic (well, sorta) franchise ruined by "reimagining".

Like the Rape of Indiana Jones...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: SKYLANE
Why?
Posted by: MacMagus
Excellent!

The more reasons for not watching tv, the better.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: October 10, 2008 01:26PM
I loved "V" the first time around but would be much more excited about anything similar that was NOT a remake/reimagining. The lack of creativity is so frustrating.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 10, 2008 01:31PM
Will,

The TV series was awful but the original mini-series was quite good. I'm intrigued by the idea of a remake.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2008 01:33PM
I didn't care much for V the first time 'round, did *not* like The 4400 at all, and can't foresee any possibility of a decent remake.

And that's fine as my plates pretty full anyway.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 10, 2008 01:58PM
Robert M
Will,

The TV series was awful but the original mini-series was quite good. I'm intrigued by the idea of a remake.

Robert

The first half-hour was okay, at least visually (it was ripped off gratuitously by "Independence Day" ). But the script was beyond idiotic, and I don't just mean the soap-opera characterization and dialogue. Traveling across the galaxy and dropping into a gravity well to steal--- water? When you can get all you want orbiting Saturn? Dumbest aliens ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 01:58PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: October 10, 2008 02:16PM
Will Collier
The first half-hour was okay, at least visually (it was ripped off gratuitously by "Independence Day" ). But the script was beyond idiotic, and I don't just mean the soap-opera characterization and dialogue. Traveling across the galaxy and dropping into a gravity well to steal--- water? When you can get all you want orbiting Saturn? Dumbest aliens ever.

Sure, water from cometary ice is virtually free, easily obtained, and will satisfy your thirst well as tap water will here on earth -- but you can bottle earth water and sell it for much more than the cost of transportation. Of course, this a business model and marketing strategy that only works on space aliens.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 10, 2008 02:39PM
Will,

You forgot they planned on harvesting people as a source of food. Seems to me humans are most definitely more readily available on earth than anywhere else in the universe! smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 02:39PM by Robert M.
Posted by: SparkyNimrod
Date: October 11, 2008 02:41PM

The first half-hour was okay, at least visually (it was ripped off gratuitously by "Independence Day" ).

From Wikipedia entry on the Arthur C. Clarke book "Childhood's End":

The story's opening scene, in which the spaceships appear over Earth’s major cities appeared in the openings of both the American television mini-series V and the movie Independence Day.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I really enjoyed that book. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015