advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MacSpeech ? Anyone use this ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2008 01:33PM
My old son has been identified as an 'audio/visual learner' or something like that. His teachers have recommended we look into a speech to text program to help him with papers and so forth.

The choices are limited in the Mac world, but I'd like to stay within the environment. Has anyone here any experience with products like Macspeech ?

TIA !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MacSpeech ? Anyone use this ?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 15, 2008 02:08PM
I use it--it's not perfect, but it's not bad at all.

The biggest tricks are (a) do all the training sessions; (b) get a really good microphone--I got one of these Sennheisers on ebay (see link below), and it works really well (but you need a separate USB Digital-Audio-Converter) (if you want an all-in-one, the Plantronics is decent and available pretty cheap); and (c) get the microphone into the best possible position (about a finger's width out from the corner of the mouth, and maybe a bit up (definitely away from breath blowing out through the nostril) and always put the microphone in the same position for each dictation session.

[cgi.ebay.com]|66%3A2|65%3A15|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

[cgi.ebay.com]|66%3A2|65%3A15|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Oh, and MacSpeech only works on Intel machines.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 15, 2008 06:58PM
The old MacSpeech product, iListen, according to reviewers, was decidedly inferior to Dragon Naturally Speaking on the Windoze platform. Dragon is by all accounts really good.

However, MacSpeech has now licensed the Dragon engine, and is using it in their new product, Dictate. iListen is no longer published.

According to this review,

[arstechnica.com]

the first release is not yet up to Dragon's level of features, but is still good, and updates will be forthcoming.

Number Two Son, to whom I gave my PB G4/667, bought iListen (on eBay, I think), and found it disappointingly hard to make work. So he decided to wait until he had an Intel Mac, which is required for Dictate (that won't be for a while).

As Anonymouse1 said, you will need to get a decent microphone. It doesn't hurt to get some training, too. I know a doctor using Dragon, who took a quick course; it helped.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 06:59PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: October 15, 2008 09:12PM
Purplus had Dragon 9 on sale for 39 and the preferred for 84 . Put Dragon84 in the coupon space was the instruction in their email offer. This may have expired. The regular price for Dragon 9 preferred at Purplus was 115. Dragon 10 is the current version. I am not sure about the improvements in this version.
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 15, 2008 09:32PM
My review from 5 months ago: [forums.macresource.com]

Five months later, they are just about to do a major release (free upgrade) that resolve many issues of the initial release. The software rocks. I use it every day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018