advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
G5 tower FU - need suggestions
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 20, 2008 07:50PM
My G5 DP1.8 shut down after a brown-out and when I tried to restart, it would chime, go to gray apple screen and then shut down. Someone suggested a battery and another thought a power supply. I took it to Apple retail tonight and it seems to have a hard drive that is dying. It started up fine using a bootable external drive and disk repair said it needed repair.

Apple wants to charge me $350 for a new 250 GB drive and then another $85 for labor. Not a very good deal, What are my other options?

I'm running 10.4.11 and I'm thinking about moving to 10.5.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: G5 tower FU - need suggestions
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: October 20, 2008 07:52PM
That's one of the easiest macs for DIY hard drive replacement.
Post your city and maybe someone here is willing to come over and do it for you for tea and crumpets. And maybe even donate a used replacement drive.

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: October 20, 2008 07:53PM
If it can boot from your installer DVD, spend $80 on a 500GB, swap it in yourself and install the OS.

It's not hard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 20, 2008 07:58PM
it will take 10 minutes to install a new drive, even if it takes you 5 minutes to get the new drive out of the package

last one here: [support.apple.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Indianapolis !!! I think it'd be fun to do it myself but [maybe a stupid question] how do I get the DVD drawer to open???? I'd like to get whatever I can off the bad drive before I pull it.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
You can do it!

Click on the G5 link and watch the Quicktime video on this page to see how easy it really is! [eshop.macsales.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 20, 2008 07:59PM
abevilac
Indianapolis !!! I think it'd be fun to do it myself but [maybe a stupid question] how do I get the DVD drawer to open???? I'd like to get whatever I can off the bad drive before I pull it.

start with the eject key down

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 20, 2008 07:59PM
F12 on your keyboard should open the DVD drive tray... or hold down the left mouse button when you start up...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 08:00PM by Harbourmaster.
Date: October 20, 2008 08:13PM
abevilac
Don't pull it, or screw around trying to burn any significant amount of info to DVD.
Get yourself an external firewire drive. Install a fresh OS on it. Start up from it. Copy your internal's contents over to it.
Then reformat your internal drive. You may find it's just fine after that.
And you'll have a backup drive, as you should.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 20, 2008 08:30PM
The more you mess around with the dying drive the less likely you are to actually get anything off of it. Shut the tower down now. Unplug the old drive. Go get a new internal drive, install it. Load an OS on it, boot it up. Download and purchase DataRescue. Reconnect the old drive. Start up and let Data Rescue do a recovery. I've done dozens of drives this way and the results are usually good.

If this way doesn't get it, you are looking at a thousand dollar recovery from a third party that can pull the drive apart.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: October 20, 2008 08:38PM
Ann - I'll give ya $10 for it !

: - D

or .... like the others said - it's an easy one to replace so go for it.
If you get in trouble I'll come down and give you a hand if you buy lunch.

BTW - see my post about 1TB drive for $99 at OWC [eshop.macsales.com]

Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: October 20, 2008 08:45PM
abevilac

Hold the mouse key down as you start up the machine- the drawer will open. Then restart holding C key down.

The odds are that it's the boot sectors of the drive hich are bad- I've seen that a lot- so my advice is:

1) Get a new 500GB drive.
2) Leave the old drive in the machine, install the new drive as well.
3) Restart with the DVD and install the OS on the new drive (and do all the updates).
4) I'll bet the old drive mounts just fine and you can copy data directly off of it onto the new drive. (You might even get to use Migration Assistant and restore all your old settings.)
5) Remove the old drive and stomp on it with ritual glee.
Date: October 20, 2008 09:28PM
Thanks, all. I think I'm going w/ Joey C. instructions and maybe that 1TB that lafinfil found. I'm off to OWC-land.
Date: October 20, 2008 11:47PM
Agree with Joey's advice, except I'll bet you'll get years more trouble-free use out of the "bad" drive once you reformat it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015