advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The $100 Blu-Ray player has arrived
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 22, 2008 11:09PM
So how many here will really bite now that the day has arrived?

[www.highdefdigest.com]

It is what it is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The $100 Blu-Ray player has arrived
Posted by: karsen
Date: October 22, 2008 11:10PM
It's a bag of hurt.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 22, 2008 11:12PM
Well, not really $100. Goes for $199 and the $100 off is on BluRay titles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2008 11:13PM by JoeH.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: October 22, 2008 11:12PM
well.... $200 with $100 in coupons toward Disney purchases.

i call that $200 with some coupons.

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 22, 2008 11:42PM
no hurry

you need a TV to really support the extra def first

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 23, 2008 12:11AM
here's the thing.
i am 43 years old.
i have seen all the great movies i am ever going to see.
twice. or more.
most of the new movies, frankly, suck.
even for ones that don't suck, it is still more cost effective for me to go to three or four good movies in a theatre than to buy a new $3000 1080p hdtv and bluray player at any price.

and i actually barely watch tv or movies at all any more.
i get a few series on dvd from netflix, or grab one of many off my shelf, put them on in the background, and surf the intertubes.
my current tv works fine for that.

ps: caps lock day has officially ended with this post
Posted by: guitarist
Date: October 23, 2008 02:40AM
You're only 43?

And you think excellent HDTV + high definition disc player costs THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Cut that in half, and you'd still have extra money to get an eye exam, a box of popcorn, and take some sort of mood elevating drug or beverage that might help you take the melancholy stench off your self-deluded narrative of hopelessness.

Why am I not surprised that most of the movies you're choosing to go to see suck? I suspect the movies that you saw that you consider "great movies", now that you've seen all the great ones you'll ever see in your entire life, are questionable.

Fortunately for the rest of us, the history of cinema, present-day movies, and the future of motion pictures, offer a nearly endless wealth of movies, stunning movies, award-winning movies, from all over the globe, that surpass your list of "great movies!", that you have never seen and never will see.

Many already in high definition, on the sub-$1000 42-50" Plasma HDTVs + HD players that some of us already own and enjoy.

Back when I was 43, I don't remember being that short-sighted and prematurely cynical. Glad to hear your current TV works fine, and that you enjoy spending your quality time surfing the intertubes.

I'm sure in the early 20th century, many felt as you do, avoided the whole "motion pictures with sound" craze, and decided to just stick to radio, and the occasional silent movie down at the nickelodeon.

Did all-caps day make your eyes feel tired today? cheer up man!
Date: October 23, 2008 03:32AM
guitarist
You're only 43?

And you think excellent HDTV + high definition disc player costs THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Cut that in half, and you'd still have extra money to get an eye exam, a box of popcorn, and take some sort of mood elevating drug or beverage that might help you take the melancholy stench off your self-deluded narrative of hopelessness.

Why am I not surprised that most of the movies you're choosing to go to see suck? I suspect the movies that you saw that you consider "great movies", now that you've seen all the great ones you'll ever see in your entire life, are questionable.

Fortunately for the rest of us, the history of cinema, present-day movies, and the future of motion pictures, offer a nearly endless wealth of movies, stunning movies, award-winning movies, from all over the globe, that surpass your list of "great movies!", that you have never seen and never will see.

Many already in high definition, on the sub-$1000 42-50" Plasma HDTVs + HD players that some of us already own and enjoy.

Back when I was 43, I don't remember being that short-sighted and prematurely cynical. Glad to hear your current TV works fine, and that you enjoy spending your quality time surfing the intertubes.

I'm sure in the early 20th century, many felt as you do, avoided the whole "motion pictures with sound" craze, and decided to just stick to radio, and the occasional silent movie down at the nickelodeon.

Did all-caps day make your eyes feel tired today? cheer up man!

Amen, brother.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 23, 2008 05:54AM
Well, even a free BluRay player is useless without any movies to watch on it, so $200 with a bunch of coupons is not that bad.

I remember our first DVD player came with 10 free DVD rentals from a Hollywood video, that was a good value and helped make the sale over a different brand.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 23, 2008 06:37AM
Nah. For one thing, I don't need/want any Disney discs. For another, I'd just as soon keep waiting for a decent model that's actually under $100.
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 23, 2008 07:14AM
"and i actually barely watch tv or movies at all any more.
i get a few series on dvd from netflix, or grab one of many off my shelf, put them on in the background, and surf the intertubes.
my current tv works fine for that."

100%.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 23, 2008 07:42AM
This is a good deal if you want the titles they're offering. It doesn't have to be your "reference" player --- at $100 it's not out of line with what an inexpensive DVD player cost for several years before the bottom dropped out and $30 became the effective bottom at places like Wal-Mart.
Date: October 23, 2008 09:22AM
I'd still choose a PS3 for more $$.

Blu-Ray + hi-def games = more win 4 me.

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 23, 2008 09:52AM
Not sure what the cost of a Blu-Ray player is down to over here but I don't feel the need yet to go out and buy one. I have a few commercial DVDs which I am happy to watch plus a ton of DVDs made from videos of films recorded off the TV. The quality of the latter is obviously not as good as a DVD but we are still happy with it and certainly do not think that we should be going to an even greater quality with the associated extra expense. I don't think that it's our eyesight that is failing which means that the higher quality is redundant although when it comes to audio quality and music my requirements have lessened over the years. I used to be a fanatic and refused to have a cassette deck with my stereo as I hated the hiss but in the last few years as my hearing has deteriorated the hiss becomes inaudible to me as well as a lot of the other higher end sounds so cassettes and MP3s are now acceptable as I find it difficult to tell the difference now. Does still have to be a good cassette and 160 kbps for a compressed music file.

Date: October 23, 2008 09:54AM
incognegro

So would (and did) I; my point in posting was to rebut all those here who have said "Blu-Ray's not worth it until I can get in for $100." Well, that day's here; predictably, there are now a new host of reasons why folks aren't interested. The ironic part is, two years from now they'll all have Blu-Ray players and will be talking about how great hi-def is.

It is what it is.
Date: October 23, 2008 10:19AM
I would never argue the merits of Blu-Ray, quality-wise.

But I do see the point (and agree) that it's not needed - it's still priced more for luxury/extra buyers.

When there is debt to pay down, Blu-Ray remains a down-the-road extra for me & mine.
Date: October 23, 2008 10:24AM
N-OS X-tasy!
incognegro

So would (and did) I; my point in posting was to rebut all those here who have said "Blu-Ray's not worth it until I can get in for $100." Well, that day's here; predictably, there are now a new host of reasons why folks aren't interested. The ironic part is, two years from now they'll all have Blu-Ray players and will be talking about how great hi-def is.

Actually, I know "how great hi-def is," as the discs I bought (average price $10) for my HD-DVD player ($75) look great. Put Blu-Ray in front of me at those prices and I'll happily whip out the Visa.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 23, 2008 10:36AM
Supposedly Blue-Ray players will be hitting $100 and disks will be down to about regular DVD prices come this year's Black Friday. Sony is looking to push Blue-Ray and start the battle to kill off regular DVD's.
Date: October 23, 2008 10:46AM
i'm glad you people enjoy your hi-def blu-ray. i really am.
but please stop trying to make everyone else feel like we're less than human for not sharing your enthusiasm.
there are plenty of things in my life that make me happier than sitting in front of the 'tube.'

now watch this drive.
Date: October 23, 2008 10:47AM
Will Collier
Actually, I know "how great hi-def is," as the discs I bought (average price $10) for my HD-DVD player ($75) look great. Put Blu-Ray in front of me at those prices and I'll happily whip out the Visa.

Such pricing for HD-DVD is available only because you bought into a dead standard; they're practically giving away hardware and software just to be able to minimize losses. BD should be at similar pricing levels in another year or two.

Many of the discs in my BD collection were purchased for $10 each or just a buck or two more. This includes big name titles such as the PotC trilogy (each, not total), Cars, and Ratatouille. I recently purchased the remastered Godfather trilogy on BD for $5 more than the DVD version of the same package cost.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 10:48AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: October 23, 2008 10:49AM
Seacrest
now watch this drive.

Date: October 23, 2008 10:52AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Such pricing for HD-DVD is available only because you bought into a dead standard; they're practically giving away hardware and software just to be able to minimize losses. BD should be at similar pricing levels in another year or two.

Perhaps what Sony should do is offer those prices NOW. Sure it will cost them a lot to subsidize all the players but in my opinion it would be cheap insurance against totally failing.

As we can see consumers are really not as interested in replacing their DVD players with BluRay as much as they were with VHS, for a variety of reasons that we don't need to go into. The fact is people would enjoy the better picture and sound, BUT- they don't want to pay that much. If Sony were to make the prices more competitive, or even a "no-brainer" by matching the prices of current DVD movies then it would be a complete success.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 23, 2008 11:22AM
If I had time and nothing better to do, I might be interested.
What is/will blu-ray be replaced with, and how soon ?

I still have VHS HI-8 and Beta tapes, laser discs and DVDs I haven't watched a second time. And purchases were of things I was certain I'd watch a second time to justify the purchase.

If my DVD Home Theater plaer didn't also play music CDs, I'd take the 7 speakers down off the ceiling and buy a decent stereo.
Date: October 23, 2008 11:51AM
As far as I know there is no physical media format out there in line to replace BluRay.

Since the maximum resolution of HDTV's and BluRay are matched it would take quite an effort to replace either. It seems like the only reason BluRay stands a chance is because people have been slowly replacing their old TV's with HDTV's and their normal DVD players are not taking full advantage of that new higher resolution. In the same way that DVD offered higher resolution than VHS on an existing TV set.

So, in order to get a better viewing experience than a full 1080p HDTV with BluRay you would have to get both a new super-high-definition TV and a super-BluRay or whatever physical media player.

Of course the future seems to be pointing to Internet distribution of media, which leans towards to computer playback and also computer monitor resolutions. We already have higher than HD resolutions on 24" and bigger monitors so that would be the next step I think.
Date: October 23, 2008 12:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Will Collier

Then I'll have a look in a year or two. Until then, it's not worth the money.
Posted by: artie67
Date: October 23, 2008 12:18PM
Just sent off to repair my Samsung 1400 pile of junk. 90 day warranty on labor for a $400 Blu-ray, $85 repair fee up front and $22 UPS says I all. At least it was a birthday gift.
Date: October 23, 2008 12:58PM
artie67
Just sent off to repair my Samsung 1400 pile of junk. 90 day warranty on labor for a $400 Blu-ray, $85 repair fee up front and $22 UPS says I all. At least it was a birthday gift.

Ouch. That's a drag. That's bad on Sammy, though, not Blu-Ray. I've had my PS3 for a year and a half now and it performs like a champ.

I know you said it was a birthday gift so this is not a ding on you, but I would never buy ANY piece of electronic gear that came with only 90 days warranty. That's just insane. (Remember when Macs came with only a 90 day warranty?)

It is what it is.
Date: October 23, 2008 01:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
(Remember when Macs came with only a 90 day warranty?)

No.
Because they never did.
They have always had a one year, parts and labor WARRANTY, and 90 days of tech support.
Date: October 23, 2008 01:13PM
Seacrest
N-OS X-tasy!

No.
Because they never did.
They have always had a one year, parts and labor WARRANTY, and 90 days of tech support.

Actually, Apple refurbs were 90-day warranties for quite a while IIRC. They changed that to a full year 2-3 years ago.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 23, 2008 01:15PM
I'm interested, and thanks for posting!

I've been waiting for a decent deal to add a Blu-Ray player to my panasonic 50" 1080p plasma screen.
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 23, 2008 01:36PM
I don't get it when people make it a point to tell me that they don't like TV. Maybe if I'm talking directly to them about TV but when it's in a forum like this and you don't watch TV and have no interest in watching movies since you've seen them all then why even click through on a post about that very thing. Much less click through and then post about how you are not into it. What gives Seacrest? That's just weird.
I don't like coffee but I don't go to starbucks to let everyone know that I don't like coffee and I don't know why someone would want to waste $5 on such a luxury. It's just not something a sane person does.
You don't like TV? Fine. Keep it to yourself. Let the people that are interested in the topic enjoy a good talk about it without you coming in and poo pooing on their parade.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: October 23, 2008 01:40PM
mikebw
N-OS X-tasy!

Perhaps what Sony should do is offer those prices NOW. Sure it will cost them a lot to subsidize all the players but in my opinion it would be cheap insurance against totally failing.

As we can see consumers are really not as interested in replacing their DVD players with BluRay as much as they were with VHS, for a variety of reasons that we don't need to go into. The fact is people would enjoy the better picture and sound, BUT- they don't want to pay that much. If Sony were to make the prices more competitive, or even a "no-brainer" by matching the prices of current DVD movies then it would be a complete success.

This is what I find most laughable about the "Blu-Ray is doomed" crowd: The belief that just because THEY don't have HDTVs or THEY think prices are too high, the standard is doomed to failure.

The following are fact:

- Blu-Ray has a higher adoption rate at this point in its lifespan than DVD did at the same point.
- Consumer adoption of Blu-Ray is and will continue to be driven by HDTV sales, which are the only current bright spot in an otherwise depressed consumer electronics industry.
- Hollywood studios fell in line with Blu-Ray support at a dizzying rate immediately upon resolution of the BD/HD-DVD format war - far faster than they adopted DVD support. (It's also worthy to note that the DVD format took off only after the competing DiVX format was laid to rest.)

All indicators are that Blu-Ray is a complete success to date. This is amazing, considering the fundamental existence of the format was still very much in question only nine months ago. No one expected Blu-Ray to have completely displaced DVD at this point in its life cycle; that will be a long-term process.

Again, the purpose of my original post was to present the reality of a $100 Blu-Ray player to those here who had previously stated that that was the entry price point into the format - knowing all along, of course, that other reasons to stay away would pop up now that this one has been eliminated.

It is what it is.
Date: October 23, 2008 01:42PM
Seacrest
N-OS X-tasy!

No.
Because they never did.

Uh-uh. Think back to the late 80s/early 90s. Apple took a lot of flak for a long time for offering only 90 days warranty on such an expensive product; finally, sometime in the early 90s, I believe, they relented and began offering their current one year warranty.

It is what it is.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 23, 2008 02:05PM
pinion
Let the people that are interested in the topic enjoy a good talk about it without you coming in and poo pooing on their parade.

Sorry that you were offended by myself and others explaining why at present we might not be interested in Blu-Ray.

Date: October 23, 2008 03:33PM
I enjoy many shows on TV; it's the commercials that make me lose interest.

Yeah, I've got A.D.D. But I can sit through a 3 hour movie if it's compelling enough.
Posted by: Spock
Date: October 23, 2008 03:56PM
incognegro
Seacrest
now watch this drive.

Her grip is all wrong!

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: October 23, 2008 04:26PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Seacrest
N-OS X-tasy!

No.
Because they never did.

Uh-uh. Think back to the late 80s/early 90s. Apple took a lot of flak for a long time for offering only 90 days warranty on such an expensive product; finally, sometime in the early 90s, I believe, they relented and began offering their current one year warranty.

Well, it wasn't easy, but I found some supporting documentation for this. I guess there is still lots of info not yet included on the internet. sad smiley

Anyway, scroll down the page at this link to read the entry indicating that Apple upped Macintosh warranties from 90 days to 1 year beginning with the IIfx in March 1990. Not surprising, considering the base configuration of that machine cost $10,000:

[209.85.173.104]

It is what it is.
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 23, 2008 10:18PM
voodoopenguin
pinion
Let the people that are interested in the topic enjoy a good talk about it without you coming in and poo pooing on their parade.

Sorry that you were offended by myself and others explaining why at present we might not be interested in Blu-Ray.

I forgive you.
wiggle smiley

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020