advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $104.83 ( +1.84 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to fix loose rungs/spindles in maple chair?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 23, 2008 08:30PM
All seven of the spindles are loose at the bottom. What's the best way to fix it without having a workshop like Norm Abram's available?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to fix loose rungs/spindles in maple chair?
Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: October 23, 2008 08:33PM
increase the humidity
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: October 23, 2008 08:39PM
wood glue or brad nails
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 23, 2008 08:45PM
If the whole back easily comes off, it's pretty obvious to pull it all apart and just glue the whole thing back together. Assuming you've got a chair with a bowed back that isn't loose, I'd use a glue injector. If there's not enough space around the spindles for the glue to flow in, I'd drill a couple of very small holes along the edges of the spindles (back side of chair) to let the glue flow in.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: M>B>
Date: October 23, 2008 08:45PM
Try this I have had success with it...

[www.amazon.com]

Amazon is just a quick reference. Available in many woodworking places and some hardware stores.
Posted by: artie67
Date: October 23, 2008 09:12PM
If you need to, take a picture of the chair assembled. Just kidding. Disasemble as much as possible. Scrape off the old glue to show some new wood on the ends of the spindles and in the recesses. Use Elmers or equalivent yellow woodworking glue, do the following. Put glue on the spindles and holes and assemble on a table. Use strap clamps, ropes and tourniquet system to pull it all together at one time. Doing this on a table will insure that the legs will meet the floor at the same time. Do not use fast drying glue such as "gorilla glue". It will dry over night. A weight on the chair will help, and that's up to you. Redd Foxx is out there somewhere!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 24, 2008 01:53AM
artie67 has pretty much everything I would suggest in his post. Only thing I would add is that if any of the spindles or rung are loose in the sockets, wrap with some thin, glue coated cloth to build up the dowel end slightly. The woodworking glue is not good at filling gaps and creating a strong bond.

Date: October 24, 2008 02:21AM
All of the spindles are "broken loose" but don't have any space around them., if that makes sense. They will have to be pounded out and it will be hard to reinsert them, I would think. I wonder if this would work well:

• remove them and cut a slot in the end of each spindle
• glue them back with Elmer's
• hammer in a wedge like in an axe handle (I think this is used in some furniture)

But, would the wedge bust the chair?
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: October 24, 2008 03:16AM
If it's an expensive or antique chair, bring it to a pro.

If it's not valuable then remove the shafts that you can most easily pull out, put some wood glue in the slots and slot them back in. Then clamp it as best you can so that the spindles are wedged tightly in place and use finishing nails (brads, as Plumking suggested) on the opposing side of each leg (or whatever piece each spindle is stuck into), aiming parallel to and centered on each spindle to secure them.

Dip the tip of each nail in mineral oil to help avoid splitting the wood. Use a finishing tool (sinker) to sink each nail below the surface of the wood. Use a dot of wood-filler to fill the holes after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 03:17AM by MacMagus.
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 24, 2008 09:07AM
5- or 10-minute epoxy (liquid/gel, not the putty) applied to wood that's had all the old glue sanded off will be much stronger than wood glue and will fill gaps very nicely.

Use sandpaper and a small file to make sure there's raw wood exposed on both the dowel and the hole it goes into. Do all the dowels, and all the holes, at the same time or else you'll be forever repairing "the weakest link." A 15-minute, permanent fix.
Date: October 24, 2008 01:42PM
I wonder if the epoxy would cause the wood itself to bust or shatter if the back is traumatized again, instead of the repair just "letting go" and in shape to be repaired agin.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 24, 2008 06:30PM
dennis, if the chair is that weak, don't use it. Epoxy is what many DIY woodworkers are going to, because it can fill gaps, and isn't brittle.
Date: October 24, 2008 10:42PM
The chair is well built, but an individual spindle is not that strong. There shouldn't be any gaps; just enough for the glue to cover the wood.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login