The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.50 ( +0.25 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FREE Eye Exam/Glasses for low-income/uninsured. . .YMMV
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 07, 2006 05:04PM
FREE Eye Exam/Glasses for low-income/uninsured. . .YMMV

This sounds like a good program for low-income/uninsured individuals who need glasses. . .hope this helps someone. ..

(seems your income must be quite low. . .someone who qualified for HEAP was deemed not eligible. . .won't hurt to try to apply. . .see link for eligibility)

VISION USA Open year-round
More than 40 million low-income, working people in the United States cannot afford the cost of routine eye care or the health insurance that covers it. As income earners, they don't qualify for government aid and private health-care assistance.

Now a year-round program, VISION USA can help these people by providing basic eye health and vision care services free of charge to the many uninsured low-income people and their families who have no other means of obtaining care.

VISION USA, started nationwide in 1991, is a program developed by doctors of optometry who are members of the American Optometric Association. Approximately 340,000 low income working Americans have benefited from free eye exams through VISION USA.

[www.aoa.org]

Report from someone that has applied for the program:

It took about 2 weeks to get approved. When I recieved the letter I called the local optometrist and made an appointment for the following week, and got my glasses 10 days later. 1 month turnaround from faxing my application to seeing clearly, all for $20

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FREE Eye Exam/Glasses for low-income/uninsured. . .YMMV
Posted by: spearmint
Date: March 07, 2006 06:48PM
Good information. Thanks!
Re: FREE Eye Exam/Glasses for low-income/uninsured. . .YMMV
Posted by: kj
Date: March 07, 2006 07:27PM
Thanks. That may be very useful for many of the people I know. kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login