advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ID checked at the polls?
Posted by: kap
Date: October 25, 2008 11:20PM
Do you have to show your DL/ID in order to vote in your state? I don't know about the rest of CA, but where we live in SGV, some elections we were asked to show our DLs; other times not.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 11:22PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ID checked at the polls?
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 25, 2008 11:37PM
Probably not as often as it should be. Recent discussion on the other side: [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: dmann
Date: October 25, 2008 11:45PM
My polling place is in the lobby of my apartment building, so I usually know one or two of the election judges. They have never asked for anything beyond my voter registration card.

That said, I am going to try and vote on Monday at the early polling location (never made it there this past week) so they may have me show some sort of ID.

DM
Posted by: endymion
Date: October 25, 2008 11:48PM
I recall being asked to show mine, yes. As well as confirm my current residence. As long as they don't match that up with my actual votes I'm OK with it... although I am sure in some places it becomes a little problematic to remain anonymous.
g=
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 26, 2008 12:21AM
I've never been asked for ID and I'm in California.

Lately though, they've been giving me a mail in ballot; my local polling place has been closed.

=wr=
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 26, 2008 12:26AM
Here in Hooterville we go to the polls and most of the "Townies" know each other so no ID is needed. No, I'm not a Townie. I've only been here for 20 years so I'm still referred to as "the guy that lives in Buddy Clarks old place".

They have a list of registered voters as you check in to vote and another list as you check out. You tell them who you are (of course they do know who I am because I'm the guy that lives in buddy Clarks old house) and someone crosses your name and address off each list as you vote. With this modern system of Townie ID Check in place I feel secure knowing that no crimin-aliens or other ne'er-do-wells can steal my vote. Thank you Home Land Security.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 26, 2008 12:44AM
Never been asked for ID in NY....
Posted by: i'm lost
Date: October 26, 2008 01:16AM
In California, at the last election I went in, and my name was on a special list due to only changing my voting address a few days before the deadline. Once they finally figured that out (luckily there was basically no one there at the time to vote, so they had time to stand around and have an epiphany or whatever), they finally let me vote there without the hassle of a provisional ballot. I pulled out my ID to show it to them, and they told me not to bother showing them ID.
Posted by: artie67
Date: October 26, 2008 01:38AM
We personally vote by absentee ballot here in Ca. Saves gas and time. I think all states should have voting by mail like Oregon. If you walk in and vote there is a register to verify your address etc. Id might be necessary for a recent change of address or new resident.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 26, 2008 05:41AM
Florida requires a photo ID of a specific type. A valid, current Florida driver's license works - ad out of state one does not. A pre=signed credit card with a photo works, signing it in front of them does not. A military id works, an employee id does not. etc.. etc...

Anything to make it difficult and slower.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 05:42AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 26, 2008 06:08AM
Ombligo
Florida requires a photo ID of a specific type. A valid, current Florida driver's license works - ad out of state one does not. A pre=signed credit card with a photo works, signing it in front of them does not. A military id works, an employee id does not. etc.. etc...

Anything to make it difficult and slower.

Let's see . . . a valid, current Florida driver's license . . . check

a pre-signed credit card with photo . . . . check

a military I.D. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . check

I guess that is not enough for you, eh? You'd rather have some clown be able to cast YOUR vote?

Wow! I guess I am getting too old for this impatient land . . . old fogey smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 26, 2008 09:41AM
Yes; I show my DL.

Posted by: kanesa
Date: October 26, 2008 11:58AM
No ID in WI when voting
Posted by: dmann
Date: October 26, 2008 12:56PM
I just read the info on the voter guide they sent me and in the early voting info section, it specifically says, "Government photo ID required."

Hmmm. I wonder if they'll actually check it!

DM
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: October 26, 2008 01:27PM
Depends on state law. An Indiana voter ID law was upheld earlier this year by the Supreme Court. [www.washingtonpost.com]

I don't understand why it's thought that election judges will be better at assessing the validity of IDs than at comparing signatures.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: October 26, 2008 02:29PM
In California, yes, every time.
I have worked the polls three times and have been a real stickler for the rules.
In fact we caught a few folk who were trying to vote for other folk.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 26, 2008 05:39PM
BigGuynRusty
In California, yes, every time.
I have worked the polls three times and have been a real stickler for the rules.
In fact we caught a few folk who were trying to vote for other folk.

BGnR

I'm glad to hear that asking for ID has actually prevented some voter fraud. I have never thought it was a big imposition to ask for someone's ID. I get asked for ID at the mall when I use a credit card, so why not when I vote.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 26, 2008 10:16PM
Ohio requires a governmental issues photo ID. A big hasslehof in '04 when they used it the first time, now only the ACLU cares about it. They have clearly stated rules on the polling place postcard you get in the mail, what to bring, when, where. Of course, the illiterate are screwed, I guess. Maybe they can write someplace for free help.confused smiley
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: October 27, 2008 03:30AM
cbelt3
Ohio requires a governmental issues photo ID. A big hasslehof in '04 when they used it the first time, now only the ACLU cares about it. They have clearly stated rules on the polling place postcard you get in the mail, what to bring, when, where. Of course, the illiterate are screwed, ...

So it doesn't bother you that entire southeastern Ohio counties could be disenfranchised?patriot smiley
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: October 27, 2008 09:42PM
I usually show some form of ID anyway because it helps the poll workers see how my name is spelled so they can find it in rolls.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 27, 2008 09:54PM
msienkiewicz
I usually show some form of ID anyway because it helps the poll workers see how my name is spelled so they can find it in rolls.

You should move to this area. There are quite a few workers at the polls who would have no trouble spelling and finding your name in the rolls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020