Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $519.01 ( +1.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to keep a room dust free?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: October 28, 2008 09:37AM
Our home is dusty - there is no doubt about it. We live in an old condo with no forced ventilation. In the summer, it is windows and fans, and in the winter, it is steam radiators. Within a day of dusting, everything gets coated with a new layer of dust.

Our main computer (a dual G5), sits in a converted walk-in closet with 5 external hard drives and our enormous Dell 3100CN printer. This machine gets a lot of use - it serves iTunes, is our video editing station, and is a favorite hang-out for the kids to use Garage Band or surf/do homework.

This "room" is terribly dusty. I notice a thick layer of dust on everything. Even when I "dust", which means vacuuming everything, the dust returns in a day or two. When I've opened up a hard drive case on occasion, it is a disaster inside. As you may recall, I have a related thread going describing how my G5 PSU filled with dust, leading to random restarts and shutdowns.
see: [forums.macresource.com]

So, is there a technical solution to this problem beyond daily dusting? Would a fan be a solution? An air filter/purifier? Finding another spot for all this tech in our small place is not feasible. I feel like I'm assassinating our stuff.

Thanks for the ideas and recommendations.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to keep a room dust free?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 28, 2008 09:41AM
Dust has many sources. You and your family are one big source- dead skin cells that are constantly being sloughed off. If your area is dusty, fans and open windows, foot traffic, pets, etc. all bring in da dust.

Local dust filter/fan combinations would do the trick for your converted closet, but you're going to have to swiff things periodically.

I'm allergic to the little mite that lives in house dust East of the Rockies. It eats dead skin cells. We vacuum regularly, dust weekly, etc. It helps.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 28, 2008 09:42AM
i've seen filters for AC vents at home depot. cuts your airflow a bit but it should capture some particles if you have that type of heating system.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 28, 2008 09:47AM
. . .daily maid service. . .?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 28, 2008 10:00AM
Yeah, I would get an air purifier thing, one with a good filter. Just want to circulate the air through it and it will capture the dust.
Date: October 28, 2008 10:21AM
volcs0
We live in an old condo with no forced ventilation.

graylocks
i've seen filters for AC vents at home depot. cuts your airflow a bit but it should capture some particles if you have that type of heating system.

The two main choices are electrostatic and HEPA filter units. HEPA filters have to be changed periodically and use a little more electricity due to pushing the air through the filter. The electrostatic models are supposed to be easy to clean so you do not have to pay for filters but cost more up front and can generate ozone. Consumer Reports recommends filters because of the ozone.
[www.consumerreports.org]

in tha 510.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 28, 2008 10:26AM
If your vacuum doesn't have a HEPA filter, that might be worth trying. And probably some combination of air filters and oscillating fans. Also, try to identify the sources -- it's not just skin cells. Look at your upholstered furniture and rugs, too. Old sofas and chairs can produce copious amounts of dust when the padding breaks down. And rugs can become deep reservoirs of dust, dust that doesn't come out when vacuuming and yet billows out whenever somebody walks upon it.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 28, 2008 10:38AM
NewtonMP2100
. . .daily nekkid maid service. . .?

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Date: October 28, 2008 10:52AM
[en.wikipedia.org]

How about a level 100 cleanroom (ISO 5) with fewer then 100 particles per cubic foot?

Probably need to wear bunny suits all the time, seal off the entrance and install a specialized air filtration system.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 28, 2008 11:11AM
mikebw
[en.wikipedia.org]

How about a level 100 cleanroom (ISO 5) with fewer then 100 particles per cubic foot?

Probably need to wear bunny suits all the time, seal off the entrance and install a specialized air filtration system.

The disposable bunny suits (and face masks) are only needed for class 10. With class 100 you can get away with street clothes as long as you wear booties and have adequate coverage on your air filtration system.
Date: October 28, 2008 11:15AM
TheTominator
The disposable bunny suits (and face masks) are only needed for class 10. With class 100 you can get away with street clothes as long as you wear booties and have adequate coverage on your air filtration system.

Ahh I see. Well he did ask for "dust free", so maybe level 10 is more appropriate?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: October 28, 2008 11:18AM
I can't even get my kids to take off their shoes when they walk in.... bunny suits is going to be a stretch.

FWIW, we only have two rugs - the majority of the house is hardwood.

I will look into the purifiers - there are lots of them. I will check out the CR link.

Thanks.
Posted by: Lee3
Date: October 28, 2008 11:47AM
I use a box fan that has a filter on it. This one.
Lasko fan
I use a Filtrete brand filter on it to increase air flow and filtering. It is a bit loud though. Filters one room. If your whole house is dusty, you would have to close off this one room.
You have got some problems if things get that dusty and you don't have carpets, because I would suspect the padding under the carpet had broken down if you had.
Posted by: RonT
Date: October 28, 2008 12:41PM
If my house was as dusty as you imply yours is I'd be more worried about my respiratory system than my computers.

But then - I'm weird that way.
Date: October 28, 2008 01:21PM
I got a recommendation of a Therapure and a Hunter, occasionally at Costco. I do not have a subscription to CR so I can not check if they got good ratings there. Local libraries or a bookstore with the yearly consumer guide are the typical ways to go. This looks like a possible model to research.
[www.amazon.com]

in tha 510.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: October 28, 2008 01:50PM
Lee3
I use a box fan that has a filter on it. This one.
Lasko fan
I use a Filtrete brand filter on it to increase air flow and filtering. It is a bit loud though. Filters one room. If your whole house is dusty, you would have to close off this one room.
You have got some problems if things get that dusty and you don't have carpets, because I would suspect the padding under the carpet had broken down if you had.

Lee3, thanks for the info. I have asthma and COPD and a bedroom that's buried in dust. I'm so fatigued all the time that I just never have the energy to dust.

It sounds as if this fan with an electrostatic filter could be a lifesaver for me.

GeneL
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 28, 2008 02:51PM
I'd think you'd need to go around the house and make sure all windows and doors have a solid seal when closed.

Dust will get in when people enter and leave, but anywhere air can leak, dust can enter.

Keep the house at 15-16psi? Pressurize it and filter the incoming air?

I'm curious as to what one could do other than daily/weekly clean-up.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: kap
Date: October 28, 2008 05:16PM
We'd like to know the solution ourselves.

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: davester
Date: October 28, 2008 08:00PM
If you're seeing an unusually high quantity of dust relative to other people's condos/houses, I think you need to first work on isolating the source of dust. Does it only happen in the summer with the windows wide open and fans running (i.e. outside source) or is it an issue even when everything is closed up tight with no fans on (i.e. inside source)? Also, when you dust, how do you do it?...use a damp cloth to capture and wash away all the dust, or use a dry cloth which just puts the dust into the air temporarily? How often do you damp mop the floors?

If you use a vacuum cleaner at all, be aware that non-HEPA vacuums are simply dust generators that will help create dust by helping break down the materials you are vacuuming and throwing it up into the air to settle out or be inhaled later.

Are there other sources of dust than upholstery and carpets? How about flaking/powdery paint? Are all your doors/windows properly weatherstripped, or does the wind blow through even in wintertime.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login