advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$tevie, thanks for posting that you use Wamcom Mozilla in OS 9....
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 17, 2005 09:05PM
I did a quick search here and found your post on browsers. Downloaded Wamcom Mozilla for an old iMac that I'm fixing up for someone.

I'm sticking with OS 9 as it's fast and I have some kids' games for it. They won't be online much but it will be good for them to have the ability to surf when needed.

I'm posting using Wamcom Mozilla and it looks very nice.

Thanks again for your earlier post, saved me some trouble for sure!

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $tevie, thanks for posting that you use Wamcom Mozilla in OS 9....
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 17, 2005 09:50PM
Just in case anybody is looking for it, I did the legwork for you:

[wamcom.org]

Thinking of giving it to a friend who does eBay and OS 9 and his Internet Exploder is giving him the Blues.

YES, his is thinking of buying a NEW used Mac after the first of the year (a Blue & White of some flavor) to replace his aging 233mhz Beige G3.

I wanted to move him up to OS X for the longest, but I dread troubleshooting pre 10.3 versions on the Beige. If he can get a Rev. 2 Blue & White (looking at a 450mhz) I think his tech support department (me) won't go so crazy.

Anyway, I will pass WamCom Mozilla on to him tomorrow.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 17, 2005 10:01PM
Why a B&W? A low end G4-AGP wouldn't cost much more and it would be so much better.
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 17, 2005 10:08PM
Thanks ArtP.

I'm using Wamcom Mozilla on an old 333MHz iMac with 256MB of RAM. Quite enjoyable really and forums.macresource looks sharp in it.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 17, 2005 10:22PM
ka jowct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why a B&W? A low end G4-AGP wouldn't cost much
> more and it would be so much better.

Guy is on a very limited budget (and ridiculously cheap), the G3 is in the $85 range with local pick-up (no shipping).

This guy is doing basically eBay, e-mail, burning data CD's (PDF's of manuals for some of his eBay sales) and some other browsing.

Things like iPhoto, iTunes, and MULTI-TASKING are going to blow his mind.

I planned to do a Xpostfacto OS X upgrade for him back in the 10.2 days BUT since I am his only line of Tech support and he wasn't progressing in his computer use, I left him alone. I figured I would be creating more problems for myself.

He gladly pays $50+ per month for Comcast Hi-Speed Internet but whines like a baby if I suggest him buying a new USED computer for more than $100. In fact, the ONLY reason he is now thinking about it was because the rep told him if he bought a newer computer, it may solve MANY of the problems he was having (Shockwave, No memory Problems in IE, slow loading pages, etc).

I think it is more of a Microsoft Browser problem from using a 5 year old browser.

Do you know where I can I get a G4 for sub $100 shipped to the Metro Detroit area?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 18, 2005 12:56PM
You're very welcome, bangman. This is why user forums are such a good thing. I bet you anything that is how I first learned of WamCom Mozilla myself.

Speaking of eBay, my friend recently found it had become almost unusable in IE on 9. I was glad I was able to offer her an alternative; she's much happier now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 01:13PM by $tevie.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 18, 2005 04:23PM
whines like a baby if I suggest him buying a new USED computer for more than $100. In fact, the ONLY reason he is now thinking about it was because the rep told him if he bought a newer computer, it may solve MANY of the problems he was having (Shockwave, No memory Problems in IE, slow loading pages, etc).

If he can get a Rev II for $85 and doesn't mind its flaky unbootable Firewire, it's not terrible. It's just that he could do so much better for not much more $. But if he won't even consider it, there's nothing you can do.

He needs to stop using Exploder, whatever he gets.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 19, 2005 01:30AM
The following article gives a quick rundown of web browsers compatible with pre OS X PPC Macs:
[lowendmac.com]

Personally, I use iCab quite a bit and WaMCom a little. Like both. Mostly I get by with WannaBe and a bunch of plug-ins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018