advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Probably looking for an eMac for the kid. Or maybe I'll keep this MDD?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 03, 2008 01:34PM
What are the issues to look out for on the eMacs? I see 700MHz models are cheap on fleabay but might splurge for a 1GB to be able to get a faster Airport card.

I was planning on selling a Dual 1.0 I got a good deal on, because it's quite a bit noisier than I imagined, and because it just seems like "a lot" to be running.

But maybe I need to re-think this. I already have an old CRT I could use with the MDD, but what about a quiet power supply? This thing really has a steady roar about it. I'd even be willing to downgrade wattage capacity if it meant being quieter or use less electricity (this won't be a server or expanded, and the kid's casual use won't tax 2 processors, so the inherent MDD advantages are largely lost here.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Probably looking for an eMac for the kid. Or maybe I'll keep this MDD?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 03, 2008 01:49PM
Keep the MDD. It will be more reliable in the long term. Besides, the kid's gonna have the sound up so loud the fan won't bother him. Or get him earphones. (NOT earbuds- the cover the ear kind that are closed that can be used at a low volume level).
Date: November 03, 2008 02:35PM
The noise really is objectionable. I remember when we first got MDDs at work, you could literally hear the fans from the next room. Luckily, the PSUs got replaced before these Macs got populated throughout. These were the models Apple replaced the power supplies on due to the noise. The best set of fan kits for the MDD, from Verex in Germany, now seem long gone. I may investigate alternatives.

[coolstuff.wordpress.com]

[bitsandpieces.info]

[www.xlr8yourmac.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 03, 2008 07:47PM
avoid the 1GHz CD (edu model) eMac - it and the 1.25GHz eMac are the "bad capacitor" 3rd generation models

800MHz CD & 1GHz combo/superdrive are 2nd gen models which also use Airport Extreme cards
Posted by: zachdog
Date: November 04, 2008 08:24AM
I did the Thermaltake fan swap from xlr8yourmac and it helped with the whine noise of my MDD machine. The fan noise was also a bit quieter. It cost about $30 for the fans, including a replacement large Pabst fan by the heat sink. This was several years ago. Good luck!
Date: November 04, 2008 04:39PM
Sounds good. Researching now. I'll look for those fans.

Also investigating a new CPU heat sink. Can't afford the copper one from the 1.42 ($80 is cheapest I could find, [www.applecomponents.com]) but I understand later non-1.42s (maybe that means some or all of the 1.25s?) got redesigned "stacked slats" aluminum heat sinks that could be the "poor man's" alternative to the copper (which is also stacked, so that when the Mac is upright you gain natural convention cooling too.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020