advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I've got a Windows XP SP2 install disc, how do I get a legal serial number?
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: November 03, 2008 06:54PM
I want to install Windows XP on the new MBP for a few windows programs (stupid Intuit and their dumbed-down Mac versions of software, I need to run QuickBooks Pro for my new business).

I've got a copy of a legal and legit install CD, but the serial number is being used for my former boss' computer (who's also my partner in my new venture). How do I just get a legit serial number to put in when I install it?

Thanks,
~A
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I've got a Windows XP SP2 install disc, how do I get a legal serial number?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 03, 2008 07:01PM
You buy one.

[www.newegg.com]

or

[www.newegg.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 03, 2008 07:01PM
"I've got a copy of a legal and legit install CD, but the serial number is being used for my former boss' computer"

I am not so sure what is legal ro legit in that CD-ROM. It's just a piece of plastic after all.

having the CD media does not mean you have the license to use the software. The license belongs to your former boss. You need a license of your own. Then it doesn't really matter if you install Win XP from the CD-ROM you have, from a CD that belong to me, or from a CD-R that you find in the trash can. You need a license. your OWN license.

check newEgg, I think they sell some OEM for $130 or so. Also check eBay or local CL for a license, not for a bootleg CD/DVD
Date: November 03, 2008 07:09PM
If I find someone who had XP installed on a computer that died that they just replaced and haven't transfered the license (serial number), can I use that? Do I need to call Microsoft to legally transfer that license (serial number)?

~A
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 03, 2008 07:16PM
tahoedrew
If I find someone who had XP installed on a computer that died that they just replaced and haven't transfered the license (serial number), can I use that? Do I need to call Microsoft to legally transfer that license (serial number)?

~A

Not if it's OEM. You aren't allowed to transfer OEM licenses. If it was retail, just use the key again. You'll be able to use it about 10 times before the make you call for activation.

If you're using this for business, you might think about: [partner.microsoft.com] (May need to use IE7 to view that.)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 03, 2008 07:19PM
Probably not because it's almost certain to be an OEM installation rather than retail. OEM means it is licensed to be installed on one machine and one machine only. MS does not allow you to transfer an OEM license to another machine for any reason, even if the machine dies.

A retail license on the other hand, can be uninstalled and reinstalled on a different machine. That is why Retail is much more expensive than OEM.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 03, 2008 07:24PM
tahoedrew

It depends. The Windows serial number from any computer from a major manufacturer is supposed to be tied to the hardware. If you buy a used computer with a COA and serial number and it dies, you can sometimes get Microsoft to transfer it. The simple thing is to buy a system builders version for $90.
[www.newegg.com]

It is possible to buy an unused license for less if you are willing to do a little work.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 03, 2008 07:36PM
Ok, is it usually OEM installs that come with computers you buy like HP, IBM, Gateway, etc.?

My friend's HD crashed in her PC laptop and I'm helping her rescue her music tonight (I'm pretty sure the HD is ok, just some other component crashed). She already has another computer so I know she'd let me use her license number if I can get it transfered, but I'm guessing that's probably OEM.

~A
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 03, 2008 07:38PM
tahoedrew
Ok, is it usually OEM installs that come with computers you buy like HP, IBM, Gateway, etc.?

99% of the time, yes

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020