advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Headed to Houston - Recommendations?
Posted by: Z
Date: November 08, 2008 11:55PM
Headed to Houston on work for two weeks from the southern reaches of Palin-land. Anything I shouldn't miss in my down time? I've not been there previously, so all options entertained! Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Headed to Houston - Recommendations?
Posted by: djroga3
Date: November 09, 2008 01:12AM
turn around.......

just kidding
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: November 09, 2008 02:03AM
Stay away from Max.
Posted by: Spock
Date: November 09, 2008 07:23AM
mikeylikesit
Stay away from Max.

Priceless advice. :-)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 09, 2008 07:40AM
Ever heard the one about the most beautiful sight in Texas? "Houston in your rear-view mirror."
Date: November 09, 2008 08:41AM
And thus I feel more glum, here waiting at the airport.wiggle smiley
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: November 09, 2008 09:18AM
I actually like Houston (which is really saying something because I mostly dislike Texas).

Couldn't tell you what to do while there though - when I've gone, I've mostly hung out with friends & gone to Galveston or the Johnson Space Center.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 09, 2008 09:36AM
Okay, okay. If you can find a Texadelphia, have lunch there. If it's anything like the original in Austin, you'll get an awesome cheesesteak. And don't forget to order queso.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 09, 2008 11:18AM
If you have any interest in history and/or old warships, don't miss the Texas at the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site:
[www.tpwd.state.tx.us]

It was my favorite thing to do when I lived in Houston many, many, many years ago. The ship dates from before WWI and participated in both World Wars.

I see from their calendar that the engine rooms are closed because of restoration work--too bad, because those big steam engines were the most fascinating part of the ship for me. However, if you are there on 15 November they are holding a few "hardhat" tours, which definitely sound worth the $30!
[www.tpwd.state.tx.us]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: November 09, 2008 02:46PM
Try some authentic Texican food!

huh smiley
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: November 09, 2008 05:32PM
Texadelphia is pretty good. And I second the queso recommendation. It's nothing fancy, just good. Their guacamole is also good.

Like steak? Go to any of these three places (there are many other good to great steaks to be had in Houston as well)
Churrasco's
Perry's
Pappa's

IMHO, the best beef fajitas on the planet are at:
Lupe Tortilla

Want to do some shopping?
Head to the Woodlands or the Galleria

Looking for nightlife and good food?
You can find a good tapas bar, sushi bar, Thai food and Irish pub in Rice Village.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2008 05:36PM by DharmaDog.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: November 09, 2008 07:19PM
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but please permit me to point out that "headed" is past tense. Thus, if you were "headed" for Houston it would alredy be in your rear view mirror. The correct future tense is "heading". Thanks for allowing me to rant.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: November 09, 2008 08:09PM
What are you looking for? What interests you? Art? Technology? Historical buildings? Musuems? Historical Ships? Shopping? Eating? Good times? Where will you be during your stay? What kind of transportation will you have?

Houston is a big city (over 600 square miles) and is surrounded or even surrounds several towns.

A good place to start is the Visitor's bureau on the first floor of the City Hall building, 901 Bagby In addition to info they have all the doodads that you may or may not be looking for.

Here is their website: [www.visithoustontexas.com] They have some discount tickets for what they deem attractions. Houston has interesting stuff (everything from NASA to the funeral industry museum). Lots of stuff nearby for easy day trips. PM if I can be of some help.
IN Houston, you grammatical bastards! NT
Date: November 09, 2008 08:38PM
-
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 354
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018