Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.13 ( +1.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best mouse for elderly friend
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: November 23, 2008 08:17PM
I help a retired professor out with his computers, finally got him upgraded from a beige G3 to a Quicksilver 867, which means he's now having to use a USB mouse. He got a Pro Mouse with the G4 and says it's OK, but I watched him using it and he seemed to be having trouble getting to items in dropdown menus, etc.

I offered to let him try my trackball, but he says he's tried them and doesn't like them. I also know the Pro Mouse is clumsy to use, as mine stays in one of my desk drawers.

For me, any optical mouse with a scroll wheel is fine, but was wondering if there was anything else that might be easier for him to use. Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best mouse for elderly friend
Posted by: karsen
Date: November 23, 2008 08:21PM
I think he should give the track ball an honest weeklong trial. If he doesn't like it after that I'd be surprised.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: November 23, 2008 08:27PM
Logitech has some nice ones that fit the hand well - the hand kinds of lays over it instead of gripping

[www.logitech.com]

I have one similar to the above and it is very comfortable and feels more like an extension on the hand.

Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: November 23, 2008 08:28PM
It depends on what kind of shape his hands are in. I can't use a track ball mouse, and it's because of limited mobility in my hands. Is the Pro mouse the one that's got the translucent top? I can't keep them straight.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 23, 2008 08:55PM
my mother loves the pro mouse cause theres no confusing buttons to push

at work they are always telling her to "right click" and its confusing...

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: LyleH
Date: November 23, 2008 09:10PM
I'm 74 and have used the same wired Pro Mouse (transparent top) for 5 years with my 1.25 MDD. But I don't have arthritis in my hands.

Does he understand that he can single-click and release on many menu items and they will then stay open so he can slide the mouse down the item he wants to select?

Many menu items will stay open if you move the mouse almost anywhere on the screen - as long as you don't click the mouse again until the item you want to select is hilighted.

LyleH
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 23, 2008 09:47PM
I thought you said an elderly mouse:

Date: November 23, 2008 10:09PM
Well, I'm also transitioning him from 9.1 to 10.4.11, so he's got a lot of adjustment to do, hence the Quicksilver--if all else fails, he can just go back to 9.

Peter's 84, but still in fairly good shape, but he's also an expatriate Brit,
so sometimes it's hard to get a handle on how he's doing. If I hadn't seen him having trouble with the mouse, I probably wouldn't have heard anything about it.

He's out of town this week, but maybe next week I can get him to try the trackball and the Logitech mouse I have, but I'm open to other ideas.
Date: November 23, 2008 10:18PM
Grateful11--that mouse would go well with the 6100 he has in the back cornersmileys with beer
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 23, 2008 10:23PM
Try setting the Universal Access pref's to give him a slightly bigger mouse cursor.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2008 10:43PM
You might have a look here: [www.ergonomicsnow.com.au]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: November 23, 2008 11:02PM
Elderly folks tend to have a hard time with track balls.
I say an optical mouse like the Pro mouse is best. I doubt they'll even end up using the scroll wheel if it has one.

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login