advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A burning T'giving question: Flour or corn starch for gravy?
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 26, 2008 01:14PM
How many use flour for their gravy? I"m in the Flour camp. But wondered if I'm kinda old fashioned or out there alone.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A burning T'giving question: Flour or corn starch for gravy?
Posted by: Silencio
Date: November 26, 2008 01:21PM
I've always used flour for that particular task.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: November 26, 2008 01:27PM
Flour usually

One nice thing about using a cooking bag to roast the turkey is that it is easy to get all the juices
to make some very nice gravy. Just clip off the corner and pour them out.

<edit> brain wasn't working - thought she said corn meal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 01:33PM by lafinfil.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: November 26, 2008 01:30PM
I always use corn starch and the gravy comes out fine (3 in the house with gluten intolerance).

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 26, 2008 01:35PM
Flour.

I guess corn starch could be better at the last minute without giving it a raw flour taste. I have never tried it to check.

I still have not quite mastered the right balance of flour to oil/fat during the browning phase. It always seems to come out a little greasy when I add the milk. I want to try skim milk to see if it fixes the problem, but it means I need to remember to buy a single quart just for that since I usually buy 1% or 2%.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: November 26, 2008 01:38PM
Flour.

Related, though - how many people thicken their gravy with a mix of flour and water - a slurry, and how many thicken with a roux?

I think the best turkey gravy I ever had was made when a bunch of us grad students did our "potluck" Thanksgiving dinner, since none of us could go home. My friend from Alabama made the gravy. She thickened with a roux, but instead of the usual butter, she used turkey fat she'd skimmed from the roasting pan. After the turkey was carved, she scooped all of the little "turkey crumbs" off the cutting board and out of the roasting pan and added those to the gravy. Oh that was good! smiling smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 26, 2008 01:39PM
. . .I think you can use arrow root as well. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: November 26, 2008 01:43PM
Darn! Now I have to wipe my keyboard.

Athens, OH
Date: November 26, 2008 01:54PM
gravy heats up better using flour or roux IMO
Date: November 26, 2008 01:55PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Flour.

I guess corn starch could be better at the last minute without giving it a raw flour taste. I have never tried it to check.

I still have not quite mastered the right balance of flour to oil/fat during the browning phase. It always seems to come out a little greasy when I add the milk. I want to try skim milk to see if it fixes the problem, but it means I need to remember to buy a single quart just for that since I usually buy 1% or 2%.

Milk? don't you use the turkey broth? When I fry a chicken I use milk and roux but not with turkey. Interesting.
Posted by: TLB
Date: November 26, 2008 01:55PM
Gluten issues in our household so it is always cornstarch; I don't really taste a difference from the flour gravies of my childhood. We do a "slurry"; with turkey we'll sometimes use milk instead of water.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: November 26, 2008 02:04PM
samintx
gravy heats up better using flour or roux IMO

That's what I've experienced. I tried corn starch a couple of times, and it was fine while the gravy was fresh, but reheating it produced a really weird consistency. It tasted fine, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to look like decent gravy again. If anybody knows the trick, feel free to post it!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 26, 2008 02:23PM
I just decided to make gravy the same way every time unless it was something special where the milk would throw off the flavor. Nobody has said anything except for when I put in way too much pepper 3 years ago. It seems I like things spicier as I get older, I go through a shaker of pepper every month since I cut down salt several years ago.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 26, 2008 02:43PM
I'm just hoping that damn turkey in the fridge will be thawed by in the morning. I'm not even thinking of making any gravy.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: November 26, 2008 02:55PM
I use a roux though I think the idea of using the turkey oil drippings instead of butter would be good in making the roux.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 26, 2008 03:04PM
I use the turkey fat/flour roux method also. I use corn starch for clear sauces, i.e. oriental food.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 26, 2008 03:09PM
Most people use flour but, as already mentioned, if any diners suffer from Celiac Sprue Disease (aka gluten intolerance) they would have to avoid a flour based gravy. Corn starch doesn't have that problem. McCormick spices have two gravy lines. Their regular line uses flour. Their premium line uses corn starch. Years ago, I used (and liked) the regular line. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, I can't say I've noticed any difference in taste, now that I'm using the premium line. I'm happy to have found out about the difference. Now, if I could just find a really good bread so I could enjoy a hot open sandwich! smiling smiley
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: November 26, 2008 03:23PM
Gravy is a snap Rhonda

When the turkey is done just snp the corner off the bag and drain the juices into a good sized sauce pan.
Put about a cup of water in a jar and slowly add a couple tablespoons of flour into it - a little salt & pepper
and shake it all up and make sure that the flour has all dissolved (no lumps please)

Heat drippings (juice) in the pan over a low fire and take your time and slowly add the water/flour mix while stirring.

Easy as it gets !

Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 26, 2008 03:30PM
I always do a roux with the drippings - then I use water in which I've boiled the neck, and gizzard, along with a bit of onion, celery, salt and pepper as the stock to make the gravy - never fails.
Date: November 26, 2008 03:35PM
rgG
I'm just hoping that damn turkey in the fridge will be thawed by in the morning. I'm not even thinking of making any gravy.

I put mine frozen in the kitchen sink and leave out all night. Thawed by morning and still very cold.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: November 26, 2008 03:57PM
rgG

Unless it's a totally tiny turkey, sounds like you'll want to fill up the kitchen sink and give it a soak for a good few hours.
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 26, 2008 04:12PM
A method that my Dad taught us was to use a heavy duty roaster pan to cook the turkey. When done and turkey is removed and tented, remove the drippings to a bowl. Add some ice cubes and put into the freezer to harden the fat. Start your roux (flour and butter) begin browning. When ready, remove the drippings from the freezer and scoup out the ice cubes and fat with a slotted spoon. You can strain the drippings if you want. Now add a little at a time to the browned roux until just slightly thin. It will thicken as it cools.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: November 26, 2008 08:45PM
Yep, you need to put that still frozen turkey in the kitchen sink with water now, if you want it to be thawed by the AM. Leave the cover/bag on it while it thaws in the water..
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 26, 2008 09:43PM
NewtonMP2100
. . .I think you can use arrow root as well. . .

you can, but in something like a gravy, it can give it a slimey feel to it in your mouth, especially in the presence of dairy. So in like a classic biscuits and gravy scenario, it could end up nasty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 09:44PM by Racer X.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 26, 2008 10:34PM
OK, the turkey seems to be mostly thawed, but I put it in the sink in cold water just to help it along. I will put it back in the fridge before I go to bed and then check it first thing in the morning. If it isn't completely thawed I can give it another soaking then.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 27, 2008 03:55AM
don't forget to massage the breasts with butter. I always enjoy that part.

It's the meds talking, honest..
Posted by: Blurb
Date: November 27, 2008 11:17AM
Racer X
don't forget to massage the breasts with butter. I always enjoy that part.

It's the meds talking, honest..

popcorn smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020