advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone Ever Built A MAME Cabinet?
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 18, 2005 08:04AM
I'm really interested in making a MAME cabinet, using a Mac of course and wanted to see if anyones done it. I'm particulary interested in front ends, etc. I've looked on the net, but most people are using PCs.Any info?

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone Ever Built A MAME Cabinet?
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: December 18, 2005 08:29AM
Okay. I'll bite. What is a MAME?
Posted by: Graphen
Date: December 18, 2005 08:30AM
Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME)
Fun for those who get time to use one.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: December 18, 2005 09:08AM
Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 18, 2005 09:39AM
Nope, but I've run MAME for years via osX and os9... I even was looking to build myself a cabinet... Right now, I'm working on getting my G3 to run MAME via s-Video on a 27" tv w/ a Wireless Game controller... However, I think a nice MS Pacman would be great running MAME...

Does anyone know if MAME works better on a PC? We have some Pentium 2 450's (I think) @ work that we are slowly replacing... "if" I knew that it would make a better MAME machine, I would snag one up.

Stavs, keep us in the loop with your progress...

Bill
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 18, 2005 09:48AM
I've always wanted to...and eventually will, hopefully. Just never took the time to do it.

I've ran MAME emulation for years...mainly on the PC-side, though - and likely what will be the 'guts' in any MAME cabinet I build.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 18, 2005 05:32PM
Why... I, um, never thought about building a special cabinet for it.

I just do it far into the woods and then put the bodies in a special cabinet before burying them. ALIVE!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 18, 2005 10:51PM
MAME for the pc is really bad...IMO. It's a dos shell which is clunky to use or its a gui with requires a lot of horse power to get any good performance. However, since I rarely use pc for it, I'm not sure if I have the optimized version.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: December 19, 2005 09:03AM
I ordered an XArcade Dual Joystick last week and am trying that first. I really want to build an Upright Cab, but reality tells me I'll be having a cocktail cabinet instead. I have a space in my house that is kind of a dining room, but thats where my fish tank is and my huge DVD/CD Rack. I have a nice spot in front of a window where I could place the cocktail cabinet, and with the right chairs would be pretty sweet.

If I do it, I'll post pics, etc. Right now I am leaning towards a kit from [www.arcadedepot.com] .

Stavs
Date: December 19, 2005 07:20PM
Ok...nother question. SHould I buy a mac mini to power my mame cab, or go with a G4 AGP powermac? My main concern will be video, with the PM I can upgrade/downgrade. With the mini, its more cash and no upgrades.

Stavs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018