advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brian Setzer is still ROCKING!
Posted by: kap
Date: December 18, 2005 09:50AM
S/O and I got invited by her sisrer, brother-in-law and their friends to see Brian and his orchestra last night at the Universal City amp. It was an awesome show esp. he did a fantastic rendition of the Nutcracker Suite. Then he brought the house down with his signature songs from his days with the Stray Cats. No wonder Brian remains the reigning king of modern rockabily. Highly recommended!

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brian Setzer is still ROCKING!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 18, 2005 09:54AM
I think he had some seriously well written stuff on one of his first solo albums.

The one in particular I'm thinking of was called (IIRC) "Justic" ("well you can't go on when the knife feels like justice.....")

His covers of stuff have been excellent, well done, well choreographed and in general, quite artistic.

I don't think he gets the credit he is due.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 18, 2005 10:21AM
Jimmypoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I don't think he gets the credit he is due.

Agree! I knew he would be too talented stay in a group such as Stray Cats.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 18, 2005 10:32AM
Well.... he wrote the songs.

That is always the break-out. Beatles hung on for a long time because of the "partnership," despite it being solo, for the most part, after 1962.

Still, there were song mergers, etc.

Another example (if you can skip his strolls through the park) is George Michael. That idiot who was in Wham spent his money on Lambos and other stuff - and within a year he was dumped.

If you write the songs, you don't need anyone but studio musicians (generally speaking).
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: December 18, 2005 10:46AM
I couldn't agree more about Brian Setzer. I was lucky enough to see him last Monday (in Albuquerque). Fantastic show!

We were 4th row center, right in the middle of the "snow zone." By the end of the show, I was covered in foam!

But anyway, he sounded great, looked great...what more could anyone want? Oh, and can't forget, he was so energetic!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 18, 2005 10:55AM
And just how does he get his hair to do that?

JoeM
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: December 18, 2005 10:58AM
JoeM Wrote:
> And just how does he get his hair to do that?

I dunno how he does it, but it sure is impressive. smiling smiley

Posted by: wurm
Date: December 18, 2005 12:02PM
JoeM Wrote:
> And just how does he get his hair to do that?
>
> ----------------
> JoeM
>

Didn't you see There's Something About Mary?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 18, 2005 12:20PM
The Knife Feels Like Justice is an awesome tune. I was happy to pick up that LP when it was reissued a few years back.
For the Rock Center Tree Lighting a few weeks back. The only bright spot in an otherwise bland night. His band kicks butt. He's a very underrated guitarist.
A a real nice cat.

Years ago I did a show with the last incarnation of Stray Cats with an extra rhythm player. Brian had moire of a chance to step out and show his stuff.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 18, 2005 12:21PM
Pomade and/or hairspray

American Crew Pomade is amazingly stiff. like greasy putty.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 18, 2005 01:14PM
I was never much of a fan, but I saw him in just a trio situation a couple years ago, and I would have to say he was awesome. Not only is he a good guitarist, but he plays fairly difficult things while he sings. Not to bag on Clapton, but I saw him say once that he can't play Layla while he is singing. Well, Setzer plays stuff that is a lot harder than Layla, while singing. I can't even play a good shuffle-feel on guitar, and he just oozes shuffle in everything he plays. I hope he comes back to town. kj.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: December 18, 2005 01:19PM
It is most definitely hair spray that does the trick. I won't say how I know winking smiley

Just glad some more people are seemingly in agreement about his talents. Took forever for his orchestra to catch on with most. I was fortunate enough to catch the fellas when they first started and that group of guys were just as amazing as who he has backing him now. It's one of those rare instances where you know the guys (each and everyone of them) are having a blast!

Glad you all had a good time!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 18, 2005 01:26PM
I saw him with his big band and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 18, 2005 05:18PM
my wife loves their new Xmas album.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: December 18, 2005 10:00PM
I think maybe its the "Catskills" type stuff that he has the band do that get in the way of him being taken seriously, and Xmas album is a good example. But why should he care -- he's been packin' in more or less forever on the circuit. Like the Stones, I just don't know how the cats do it night after night and travel too.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018