advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which 12" PPC 'Book now or none?
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 18, 2005 11:21AM
I'm obsessed with the idea that I need to buy a new iBook or Powerbook. I have a G3 900 iBook, one of those Micro Center specials of a few years ago. The 12" models are so easily portable and the screen is quite adequate for even my 65 year old eyes. I need some input.

So my thinking goes thus: The current 'Books are the last PPC models and availability and prices may never be better. There is the $800 (AR) Amazon iBook and there are Apple Store PowerBook refurbs that include 1.33 GHz and 1.5 GHz combo and SD models priced from $1099 to $1299.

The current G4 'Books run Classic and run well the OSX programs I currently own. Like the transition to PPC from 68000 chips it may take several Intel generations to run current programs at G4 speeds. My G3 900 12" iBook doesn't do those things that require a G4 and is definitely slower than the current offerings but will boot OS9. The Intel 'Books won't run Classic, so it would be goodby to those few OS9 programs I still use from time to time if I go Intel. In choosing between the PBs and iBs there are these considerations: The PBs memory maxs out at 1.25GB whereas the iBook can handle 1.5GB. The iBooks have newer ATI graphics but with less video memory. The PBs have bigger hard drives. Super Drives are available in the PBs, although that may not matter since I have an external DVD burner.

Of course, if the decision becomes clear, I will have to leave behind this obsession and deal with my real problems.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which 12" PPC 'Book now or none?
Posted by: h'
Date: December 18, 2005 11:28AM
What things require a G4?
Intel iBooks won't run classic? Huh? (source?)

I don't get the feeling you really need a new iBook right now . . .

Has your iBook ever had the motherboard failure?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 18, 2005 11:51AM
h: Thanks for your reply. Such buying obsessions can be unreasonable, and maybe mine is. That's why I asked for input.

As to the motherboard problem: My wife has a G3 700 and I have the G3 900 iBooks. Neither iBook has had the motherboard problem.

G4 problem: It's with graphics that the G4 is better. For example, I was trying to watch some foreign web TV broadcasts and they don't do at all well with my G3. Whereas they look good on Pentium 4 PCs and on G4s.

Classic on Intel: I've read it a number of times on rumor sites and such but I can't give you a quote.
Posted by: h'
Date: December 18, 2005 12:25PM
You know as well as I do that you're just trying to talk yourself into this.
Would you plan on selling the 900 when you buy a new one?
If so, it would be most fair to hold onto it until motherboard failure and replacement and sell it with a fresh motherboard, otherwise you could have a very unhappy and unfortunate buyer after a month or two.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: RonT
Date: December 18, 2005 02:03PM
Sounds to me like you either have some serious reality distortion problems or your computing expectations are so far beyond mine that I can't even relate.

For example I'm running OS10.4.3 on a 500mhz Pismo and the screen on it is starting to fade. However, I haven't run into a single site that I thought was slow or rendered inadequately and my 66 year old eyes are dealing with the fading quite adequately. And you're running at what? 900mhz on a 2 year old.

Sounds suspiciously like you've got a serious case of "buyers fever." Which is fine so long as you've got the $$ to feed it.

I say - go for it. I see 63 year olds in the obituary columns on a regular basis. And the old saying "you can't take it with you" gets truer every day.

Posted by: kj
Date: December 18, 2005 03:32PM
I've read in about a million places classic won't run on the macintels. One example:

[daringfireball.net]

I thought for sure there were programs that wouldn't install on a G3. Didn't iDVD have to be hacked to run on G3's? Either way, there are apps that _really_ like the G4.

And, could the price of machines that run classic go up after the macintels are introduced (much like os9 bootable G4 desktops)?

Personally, I would wait for the macintels, but if I had JEBB's needs, I might not. Give the guy a break. It sounds like you guys are doing psychotherapy or something winking smiley. kj.
Posted by: JJ_TKOB
Date: December 18, 2005 11:20PM
[www.macworld.com]

"Apple has announced a new technology, Rosetta, that will run PowerPC Mac programs on Intel-based Macs. However, according to Apple’s own technical documentation, Rosetta does not support Classic apps, nor does it support apps that require the G4 and G5 processors."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018