advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
D50 or Rebel XLT?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 18, 2005 12:08PM
Which one is better for a novice, but who wants good pics of the kids...now that the kids are running in soccer, basketball, etc?

If there is little difference for me, then which one is the better buy?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2005 12:12PM by wowzer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: D50 or Rebel XLT?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 18, 2005 12:13PM
I prefer Nikon D50
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 18, 2005 12:55PM
I'd go with the Rebel.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: December 18, 2005 01:21PM
If you're not already invested in Nikon or Canon lenses, you should consider Pentax as well:

[www.pentaxslr.com]

I have a DS which has been replace with the DS2 (main difference is the DS2 has a much larger LCD). I haven't handled a D50 so I can't comment, but I much prefer the way the Pentax feels in my hands thant the Canon XT. I've been extremely pleased with this camera!

There are some pix at the link below.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: December 18, 2005 02:03PM
The cameras are pretty close but here are the key differences. You can't go wrong with either camera. If you advance in photography there are options on the way up such as Canon's 20D that I have seen dipping down to $1k for the body after rebate.
[www.dpreview.com]

XT pros:
8mp, allows for a bit more cropping. Not that much more than 6mp though.
ISO 1600 looks very good with less use of noise reduction.
ISO 100 for those that need it, not too big of a deal.
Uses CF cards (if you already have them)
Size, SLR minus the bulk, great for those coming from point and shoots that don't like SLR bulk. Feedback from female customers also indicates they like the size. Great for people on the go.
Optional vertical shutter grip, extends the main grip.
Slightly faster frame rate to keep up with action.
Lens options include the 17-40mm f/4 and 70-200 f/4, pro optics at a reasonable price.

Cons:
The smaller grip may be unsuitable for some.
The smaller battery doesn't have as much capacity as the larger Nikon battery, vertical grip can hold 2 though.

D50 pros:
Larger grip, deeper grip allows easier hold
Auto ISO, can be good for those not wanting or forget to change ISO.
Slightly larger LCD, though you cannot use it for live preview picture taking.
Slightly more battery capacity.
SD card, the next mass standard
Easier AF point selecting dial

Cons:
larger size good for some, not for other
SD card are not as easy to handle as CF cards, does not really save in camera size.
Less megapixels makes you have to get over numbers technolust and fear of obsolescence. (there is not that big a jump from 6 to 8 mp)
ISO 1600 noise reductions can make images appear not as crisp to the discerning eye.

Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: December 18, 2005 02:37PM
If you don't allready have lenses that fit one or the other then I'd play with each one and go for the one that feels best in your hands. Allmost all the other "features" that vary between the two cameras pretty much cancel out compared to the overall feel.

I bought the Nikon D70S last year when they came out and love it, but if the Canon had felt better I might would have likely gone for it allthough I'm also more of a "Nikon Guy". The Nikon looks more "Pro" too if that matters to you.

I also got a great deal on the Nikon 70-300 G Lens, with a Nikon System bag, and additional two year warranty on the Camera and lenses for about $159.00 from One-Call (google them) which is a great lens for casual sports photography like Soccer.
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: December 18, 2005 02:46PM
Here is the lens kit, didn't find it at one call just Adorama:

[www.adorama.com]
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: December 18, 2005 02:48PM
I owned D70 [homepage.mac.com] and currently own an XT [homepage.mac.com] and I could use either.

Since I use Canon's bigger SLRs for work, I like the XT at the end of the day for family pics. The XT is the anti big cam, I love it.

The D50/70 body is better for larger hands but if you have to share with a spouse, it's good to have a happy spouse winking smiley

It's all about the comfort level.
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: December 18, 2005 05:21PM
Don Kiyoti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're not already invested in Nikon or Canon
> lenses, you should consider Pentax as well:
>
>
>
> I have a DS which has been replace with the DS2
> (main difference is the DS2 has a much larger
> LCD). I haven't handled a D50 so I can't comment,
> but I much prefer the way the Pentax feels in my
> hands thant the Canon XT. I've been extremely
> pleased with this camera!
>
> There are some pix at the link below.

I've had a new Pentax *ist DS for 8 months, and I also love the camera and its feel. It's small enough that you notice it, but not so small that it hinders operating the controls. I am heavily invested in Pentax-compatible lenses, from my former Pentax SF1-N SLR, so it was no decision for me when it came time to choose a camera.

I would have sold off the whole lot of lenses if the camera didn't perform so well, but it does, and I've been shooting some amazing pictures as I've gotten used to the new digital medium. It's especially good at shooting RAW images. JPEGs are fine for everyday shots, but for a serious composition RAW can be an interesting format to work with.

The Pentax *ist DS series is a camera that I wouldn't hesititate to recommend.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 18, 2005 10:43PM
My hands arent' that big...and I've played with both the XT and D50. I guess it really comes down to how much and if this is the best time to buy...

Graduation and spring/summer time is what I'm buying this camera for...so I have a little bit of time to decide. Would this time be the best to pull the trigger?

Thanks

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018